Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3: sunroof and weight issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2006, 12:03 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

It should come as no surprise to anyone on this board how I feel about the whole sunroof issue. It sucks! And I did take my displeasure to PAG (as of Friday, I sent them the letter).

To say that the 997GT3, even as disappointed as I am, is a poseur car is just flat out wrong. Will it be as hardcore as some of the other models, no, but its no poseur car. I'm sure it is a very fast, comfortable street car that you can use on a track.

Want something more hardcore than that, get the RS. Is the RS just as hardcore as its predecessors, no, but it's still more than the GT3.

Does the sunroof make these cars worse, well one could argue the whole weight issue, but in reality these cars now a days are so overweight to begin with that we enthusiasts modify them to make them more hardcore and lighter.

I already added the roof panel into the list of mods for my RS, along with seats, windows, door inserts, radio removal, exhaust, rollbar, carpet removal, etc...you get the point.
Old 08-19-2006, 12:12 PM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
It should come as no surprise to anyone on this board how I feel about the whole sunroof issue. It sucks! And I did take my displeasure to PAG (as of Friday, I sent them the letter).

To say that the 997GT3, even as disappointed as I am, is a poseur car is just flat out wrong. Will it be as hardcore as some of the other models, no, but its no poseur car. I'm sure it is a very fast, comfortable street car that you can use on a track.

Want something more hardcore than that, get the RS. Is the RS just as hardcore as its predecessors, no, but it's still more than the GT3.

Does the sunroof make these cars worse, well one could argue the whole weight issue, but in reality these cars now a days are so overweight to begin with that we enthusiasts modify them to make them more hardcore and lighter.

I already added the roof panel into the list of mods for my RS, along with seats, windows, door inserts, radio removal, exhaust, rollbar, carpet removal, etc...you get the point.
I agree with you about the poser issue,my biggest complaint is all the mods you have listed are simple to do and undoable in future but the one gigantic pain in the butt is the roof, heres a new suggestion redesign the roof make it a bolt in piece that we can change easily , voila no more complaints
Old 08-19-2006, 01:53 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

dark knight;

Well said however I think the 'posers' or 'latest and greatest' type buyers are critical groups to Porsche AG's success. Because of these demographic groups there is enough volume to get the cars manufactured. Many 'pain in the ***' enthusiasts and 'posers' cannot afford the car new but of course help Porsche AG as they are what keeps the resale value up (maybe not where you want it when you are the seller but its not salvage value levels).

The problem now is that the North American 997 GT3 has major issues for many enthusiasts such that it is not even a candidate as a used car. Including the darn 997 GT3 RS mit hole, and without key performance and safety features.

Quick Reply: GT3: sunroof and weight issues