Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3: sunroof and weight issues

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2006, 01:01 PM
JimStrott
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

TimeOfFlight, with that screen name, are you an MRI physicist perchance?

-Jim
Old 08-14-2006, 04:52 PM
TimeOfFlight
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

XSpeedFreakX: Thank you for the address. For what it's worth, I'll be sending off a letter in the near future.

Jim: Not a physicist, a radiologist. Milwaukee? GE Medical Systems perchance?
Old 08-15-2006, 12:14 PM
JimStrott
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TimeOfFlight
Jim: Not a physicist, a radiologist. Milwaukee? GE Medical Systems perchance?
Nope, but certainly lots of their equipment in the dept. (Oh, they had a cow when we bought Siemens angio and then MR!
Ditto a radiologist (neuro) at MCW. Where be you?

-Jim
Old 08-15-2006, 02:07 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

I am on the list for a 997 GT3, and am somewhat amused by all the passion a simple sunroof can evoke.

I agree that a sunroof delete should be an option. But to point blank say that the sunroof has no place in the GT3 is just wrong. The GT3 is NOT a dedicated race car. It is race car built for the street. It has PASM, where the standard setting is equivalent to the 996 GT3 setting for the street, and a sport setting that is more track oriented. It has a radio. It has AC. It has padded seats. It has a 3 point seat belts. Cmon, guys, it is a STREET car! You want a race car, get a race car.

BTW, I want a sunroof on mine .
Old 08-15-2006, 08:59 PM
TimeOfFlight
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JimStrott
Nope, but certainly lots of their equipment in the dept. (Oh, they had a cow when we bought Siemens angio and then MR!

-Jim
Ahh, good to join another porsche-posing doc on the board. Hey, forget the sunroof, I'm waiting for the GT3 Cabriolet. Just kidding, I know some of us are in the minority who will use this car as it's intended

And wow, Siemens at MCW, right in GE's backyard! Next time I need to do a site visit, I'll ask for MCW.

BTW, I'm in Baton Rouge, private practice, MSK/body.
Old 08-15-2006, 09:01 PM
TimeOfFlight
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Palting
I am on the list for a 997 GT3, and am somewhat amused by all the passion a simple sunroof can evoke.

I agree that a sunroof delete should be an option. But to point blank say that the sunroof has no place in the GT3 is just wrong. The GT3 is NOT a dedicated race car. It is race car built for the street. It has PASM, where the standard setting is equivalent to the 996 GT3 setting for the street, and a sport setting that is more track oriented. It has a radio. It has AC. It has padded seats. It has a 3 point seat belts. Cmon, guys, it is a STREET car! You want a race car, get a race car.

BTW, I want a sunroof on mine .

More power to you!
Old 08-15-2006, 09:08 PM
TimeOfFlight
Intermediate

Originally Posted by JimStrott

-Jim
Ahh, good to join another porsche-posing doc on the board. Hey, forget the sunroof, I'm waiting for the GT3 Cabriolet. Just kidding, I know some of us are in the minority who will use this car as it's intended

And wow, Siemens at MCW, right in GE's backyard! Next time I need to do a site visit, I'll ask for MCW.

BTW, I'm in Baton Rouge, private practice, MSK/body.
Old 08-15-2006, 10:32 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Palting;

You are way off base on this one but guys like you are winning out and North America continues to get inferior Porsche models. Of course it is a compromised street legal model but telling folks to go get a race car is not relevant.
Old 08-16-2006, 02:11 AM
AW
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Palting, Are you sure you don't want an RS. I understand you can get some nice stickers for 20k more.

Seriously, I'm glad you don't care about the sunroof thing. Enjoy your, ahem, "GT3"

AW
Old 08-16-2006, 02:53 AM
icon
Three Wheelin'

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by AW
Palting, Are you sure you don't want an RS. I understand you can get some nice stickers for 20k more.

Seriously, I'm glad you don't care about the sunroof thing. Enjoy your, ahem, "GT3"

AW
AW,

i can see being upset about the gt3 having a sunroof.
but why the need to make statements like above to a fellow enthusiasts?

jeff
Old 08-16-2006, 03:30 AM
AW
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK. Maybe I got carried away, if you are offended by that message please accept my apologies. My intent was to post a funny message, not an offensive one.

AW
Old 08-16-2006, 03:33 AM
Carrera GT
Wordsmith
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by icon
AW,

i can see being upset about the gt3 having a sunroof.
but why the need to make statements like above to a fellow enthusiasts?

jeff
Let's not be thin skinned. Arnaud was poking fun at the "mandatory" options for electronics and comfort that keep creeping into the GT3. It's not a street car, it's a homologation model which has been usurped (sort of) by the RS and neither car is coming to the US -- that makes it subject to some ridicule.

Last edited by Carrera GT; 08-16-2006 at 07:38 PM.
Old 08-16-2006, 08:56 PM
enthusiast
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 27 Posts

Joking around or being serious ... fact is North American versions are not as good as RoW.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:09 AM
dark knight
Rennlist Member

Received 46 Likes on 32 Posts

the issue is that those who want the sunroof wont care if it doesnt have one, those who dont want it will be thoroughly disappointed if it does have one, so why cant the consumer win here, the answer is obvious no sunroof. The bigger issue is this if a Porsche is like a factory built custom car with all your different exclusive choices then the roof should lbe part of that. Let us pick and choose what we want its part of the fun involved in buying a new Porsche, I for one hate the sunroof, its an anti-performance device and it ruins the lines of the car and takes away head room I need.
Old 08-17-2006, 10:26 PM
Palting
Rennlist Member

Received 238 Likes on 153 Posts

Originally Posted by AW
OK. Maybe I got carried away, if you are offended by that message please accept my apologies. My intent was to post a funny message, not an offensive one.

AW
That's OK. We all get carried away sometimes. THOUGH I know I've NEVER EVER been carried away .

But what I said about the GT3 being a street car still holds true. Homologation or not, even the 996 GT3 suspension is still too soft to be a true track/race car, and the 996 race cars have different suspensions. Not to mention other things that make a race car a race car, and a street car a street car.

Not to belittle anyones's opinion, but I say that if you truly believe that the GT3 should NOT have a sunroof because it isn't right, then your GT3 should also NOT have AC, heaters, radio, electric windows, glass windows and winshields, and what not. It should have roll cages, harnesses, fire suppression, etc, as standard equipment. The list can go on and on.

Quick Reply: GT3: sunroof and weight issues