Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 GT2/GT3 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum-141/)
-   -   Garage Floor Protection (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/1240831-garage-floor-protection.html)

rwdds 03-11-2021 10:09 AM

Garage Floor Protection

Peeked back here after moving to a Panamera. I am moving into a sweet, inner city home with a semi-exposed but covered garage. Original concrete poured in 2007, floor is stained and not clean enough for my tastes. Many years ago I used an epoxy-like paint material onto a 2 car garage floor with decent results. Wondering what options are available and have trust in my fellow 997 Porsche fanatics...
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...1a5ac50d60.jpg
One car garage with a little maneuvering room

What have you done to seal, cover or protect the concrete in your garage?

Robocop305 03-11-2021 11:32 AM

I use racedeck flooring and I’m very happy with it. Had it for 15 years and it still looks great. It’s also portable.

DJN 03-11-2021 01:50 PM

Yes, Epoxy Floor!!!!

If you are a PCA member, log into the on-line Panorama magazine browser and select the February 2019 issue 743. There you will find my complete epoxy floor DIY article on Page 106.
PM me if you can't find it.

Cheers
Doug N

pissedpuppy 03-11-2021 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by DJN (Post 17288767)
Yes, Epoxy Floor!!!!

If you are a PCA member, log into the on-line Panorama magazine browser and select the February 2019 issue 743. There you will find my complete epoxy floor DIY article on Page 106.
PM me if you can't find it.

Cheers
Doug N

would love to learn more

DJN 03-11-2021 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy (Post 17288895)
would love to learn more

"PP" feel free to PM me.....same goes for anyone else thinking about a nice epoxy floor DIY.

Cheers
Doug N

Bxstr 03-11-2021 05:21 PM

I went with Swisstrax. Our concrete had plenty of stains and issues from salt, etc. Slipped and fell in the garage in 2013-2014 on the normal smooth concrete that came with the house. Decided I wanted something with a bit more grip, so went with a DIY epoxy in 2014 with an additive for traction. Should have hired a professional. A year later it started lifting due to improper prep on my part. So I decided to go with Swisstrax in 2015. It's a great solution if you have a garage floor that is less than ideal condition and you just want to cover it up. Even with our winters, the flooring does well. However, I'd most likely use Polyaspartic, Nature Stone or something similar if money was no concern and the floor would hold up. One of the advantages to Swisstrax is being able to walk in the garage barefoot to grab something and not have stuff stick to your feet since all of the dirt goes below the surface.

9eight7 03-11-2021 06:38 PM

2 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Bxstr (Post 17289275)
I went with Swisstrax. Our concrete had plenty of stains and issues from salt, etc. Slipped and fell in the garage in 2013-2014 on the normal smooth concrete that came with the house. Decided I wanted something with a bit more grip, so went with a DIY epoxy in 2014 with an additive for traction. Should have hired a professional. A year later it started lifting due to improper prep on my part. So I decided to go with Swisstrax in 2015. It's a great solution if you have a garage floor that is less than ideal condition and you just want to cover it up. Even with our winters, the flooring does well. However, I'd most likely use Polyaspartic, Nature Stone or something similar if money was no concern and the floor would hold up. One of the advantages to Swisstrax is being able to walk in the garage barefoot to grab something and not have stuff stick to your feet since all of the dirt goes below the surface.

I just installed Swisstrax last week! Similar to Bxstr my garage had a peeling DIY epoxy so I covered it. I also had a huge oil spill and cleaned it up if you feel like hearing about it.

Let me know if my pics don't work.
Before
Attachment 1340332

After

Attachment 1340333

Specracer46 03-11-2021 08:48 PM

If you go the epoxy route, with that level of staining etc, I personally would not try a DIY. Hire a pro, the surface prep is crucial.

RAudi Driver 03-11-2021 09:58 PM

You can diamond grind the floor for good adhesion. It's a DIY if you have the time, patience handyman type skills.

I'm going to try this stuff when I get around to it.

https://exteriorcoatings.com/product...wn-waterproof/

Specracer46 03-12-2021 06:30 AM

Agreed 1000%, however for most home owners this might be a bit much to take on. Its tempting to simply grab a gallon of 2 part floor paint, and roll it out. My point is exactly what you highlighted, that the floor must be very thoroughly prepped first for a long term durable finish. Im a VERY hands on person, this is a job I would write the check for.

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver (Post 17289867)
You can diamond grind the floor for good adhesion. It's a DIY if you have the time, patience handyman type skills.

Upscale Audio 03-12-2021 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Robocop305 (Post 17288434)
I use racedeck flooring and I’m very happy with it. Had it for 15 years and it still looks great. It’s also portable.

Wow. That's impressive. Most Racedeck owners love it and that it looks good after 15 years is a plus. Looking at the OP's concrete there's a lot of stains and getting it prepped for paint would be a bit of work. I really prepped my last house well I thought before doing epoxy. I lived at the base of a mountain and would get my tires very very hot then try to roll in and where I parked, it stuck....and peeled off the paint. Now that I've moved into my "last house" I laid down porcelain tile. Love it but expensive.

9eight7 03-12-2021 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Upscale Audio (Post 17290765)
Wow. That's impressive. Most Racedeck owners love it and that it looks good after 15 years is a plus. Looking at the OP's concrete there's a lot of stains and getting it prepped for paint would be a bit of work. I really prepped my last house well I thought before doing epoxy. I lived at the base of a mountain and would get my tires very very hot then try to roll in and where I parked, it stuck....and peeled off the paint. Now that I've moved into my "last house" I laid down porcelain tile. Love it but expensive.

Do you have pictures? Porcelain is my favorite but the install labor...

Belinko 03-12-2021 01:26 PM

Floor prep is everything, especially on "old" concrete. If the prep work is done right the top coat application should be durable.

I went with a polyurethane based floor covering 10-20yr warranty depending on the condition of the concrete and the coat the stem walls. There are a variety of benefits over epoxy, most epoxy coatings especially DIY don't last for ****. Personally not a fan of modular/snap in floor tiles. You can't hose down your garage floor with tiles like that.

https://laticretesupercap.com/en/pro...cote-flex-pure

Porcelain tile can look great (i.e. show room), but if you ever wrench on a car, it sucks.

osu s2k 03-12-2021 09:40 PM

Stained and polyurethane on concrete.
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...170586af7.jpeg

D-Uber Cars 03-13-2021 03:41 PM

I had my garage floor polished. Was initially concerned with it being slippery if wet, not so. Great glossy finish.