Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

“New-To-Me” 997.2 GT3 RS with Pics

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2019, 10:47 PM
QueueCumber
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by XrussianX
The only music you should be listening to is the mechanical masterpiece composer named Mezger�� How many miles have you driven since purchase? I have almost 1000 in 2 weeks. Probably should go back to work, people might start to worry��
Blasting fast rock or metal while slamming down the throttle is a whole other level of ecstasy. I can still hear/feel the motor, but it’s all the more fun.

I’ve put 439 miles on it over 18 days. I’d usually be putting less on it but have a very ill family member 40 minutes away and I’ve been driving back and forth a lot in it when it hasn’t been raining.
Old 10-09-2019, 12:47 PM
Jure
Rennlist Member

Received 53 Likes on 22 Posts

Lovely spec!
The following users liked this post:
QueueCumber (10-09-2019)
Old 10-09-2019, 01:02 PM
QueueCumber
Racer

Originally Posted by Jure
Lovely spec!
Thanks! Finally put my first 1k miles on it since
purchase. I don’t have a lot of free time to drive, so focusing on quality of experience rather than quantity, which is great because it’s always a special experience....
Old 10-09-2019, 01:56 PM
CardiffDweller
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

QC -- do you have the time or interest to describe your process acquiring the car? I've started to turn an exploratory eye in the same direction. Issues that seem germane that I've slowly been reading about include coolant tubes (pin, weld, knurl/JBWeld, or leave alone), some sort of harmonic vibration that affects cam bolts (there is a dampener solution which I haven't figured out details about yet), 997.1 vs 997.2 (saw a youtube video where some Brit at Silverstone did a comparison to also include the 996 version and he seemed to feel that the 997.1 might be better on the road than the .2 because of the slightly softer suspension over bad roads), PPI, overrevs on DME, why that color, consideration of newer options such as 991.1 RS, or anything else you felt was important to your process.
Old 10-09-2019, 02:44 PM
QueueCumber
Racer

Originally Posted by CardiffDweller
QC -- do you have the time or interest to describe your process acquiring the car. I've started to turn an exploratory eye in the same direction. Issues that seem germane that I've slowly been reading about include coolant tubes (pin, weld, knurl/JBWeld, or leave alone), some sort of harmonic vibration that affects cam bolts (there is a dampener solution which I haven't figured out details about yet), 997.1 vs 997.2 (saw a youtube video where some Brit at Silverstone did a comparison to also include the 996 version and he seemed to feel that the 997.1 might be better on the road than the .2 because of the slightly softer suspension over bad roads), PPI, overrevs on DME, why that color, consideration of newer options such as 991.1 RS, or anything else you felt was important to your process.
It took me a few years to find the right one. One of the things you want to check is matching engine with the build. There are quite a few out there where the engine has been replaced due to the coolant hoses or the harmonic issue. Replaced engine isn’t a big issue for some folks (especially if you can get a better deal for it), but I wanted all original. I was close to a deal two years ago when in the final stage the engine numbers didn’t match the build.

Not sure on the 997.1 vs 997.2. You do feel everything on the road with the 997.2, even with the softer mode engaged. But, in terms of engagement factor, that’s a good thing IMO. It depends on your tolerance for those kinds of things. It is supposed to be a track car by nature.

I think with over revs you want as little as possible in range 2 or below. Mine has like 19 in range one and nothing anywhere else.

I didn’t think much about the color. Just having everything else finally line up was what was important to me, and the options, because I like to listen to music and needed a front lift.

Why not the 991.1 or 991.2 RS comes down to manual vs PDK. For me, 991, like a 488, Huracan, 720S, etc., are all starting to feel like the same car without any character of their own (A feeling that will likely become ubiquitous within the growing limitations of emissions standards). I think if you’re going to go with paddle shifting, a 458 is a much better NA choice for thrills and engagement. The reason to go with the 997.2 is for a deeper level of engagement via manual. At a certain point the extra speed doesn’t matter, and the extra speed is elusive because the bulk of it only exists when using launch control. How many times do you plan on using launch control after the thrill wears off? I’ve owned a few 458s (Italia, Spider, Speciale) and I only used launch control on the first one a handful of times. Thus, engagement factor has become more important to me than anything else lately.

If you’re going to look for one, do it through someone you trust or hire someone trustworthy and pay the premium to get the right car. A lot of the available cars likely have issues and you’re going to need to weed through them all and lose money on DMEs until you find the right one. If you know a dealer or broker you trust, let them do the dirty work and just give you the good results. There’s no such thing as a great deal money-wise, IMO. The great deal is finding a car that meets all the right criteria with no stories, even if that means paying over perceived market values (remember, some of the perceived market value is based on the sales of storied cars at low prices where those perceiving the value don’t know the story behind the price). That being said, that doesn’t mean great deals can’t be found if the seller is looking for a quick deal or the deal is convenient.

Like I said, it took me a few years to find the right one for myself, but I’m frugal and always look for the best deal possible. In my case, that took some softening in prices before I was willing to leap on one that met all my criteria. The deals that came along before that always had hidden problems. I would be leery of third party sellers and try to find a Porsche dealer that has one, because they have to list issues like engine replacement and you will be able to get the DMEs for free if they are reasonable. It will save you a lot of time. You will pay a premium, but it pays for itself in peace of mind...

Hope that helps!

Last edited by QueueCumber; 10-09-2019 at 08:19 PM.
Old 10-09-2019, 10:32 PM
CardiffDweller
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by QueueCumber
It took me a few years to find the right one. One of the things you want to check is matching engine with the build. There are quite a few out there where the engine has been replaced due to the coolant hoses or the harmonic issue. Replaced engine isn’t a big issue for some folks (especially if you can get a better deal for it), but I wanted all original. I was close to a deal two years ago when in the final stage the engine numbers didn’t match the build.

Not sure on the 997.1 vs 997.2. You do feel everything on the road with the 997.2, even with the softer mode engaged. But, in terms of engagement factor, that’s a good thing IMO. It depends on your tolerance for those kinds of things. It is supposed to be a track car by nature.

I think with over revs you want as little as possible in range 2 or below. Mine has like 19 in range one and nothing anywhere else.

I didn’t think much about the color. Just having everything else finally line up was what was important to me, and the options, because I like to listen to music and needed a front lift.

Why not the 991.1 or 991.2 RS comes down to manual vs PDK. For me, 991, like a 488, Huracan, 720S, etc., are all starting to feel like the same car without any character of their own (A feeling that will likely become ubiquitous within the growing limitations of emissions standards). I think if you’re going to go with paddle shifting, a 458 is a much better NA choice for thrills and engagement. The reason to go with the 997.2 is for a deeper level of engagement via manual. At a certain point the extra speed doesn’t matter, and the extra speed is elusive because the bulk of it only exists when using launch control. How many times do you plan on using launch control after the thrill wears off? I’ve owned a few 458s (Italia, Spider, Speciale) and I only used launch control on the first one a handful of times. Thus, engagement factor has become more important to me than anything else lately.

If you’re going to look for one, do it through someone you trust or hire someone trustworthy and pay the premium to get the right car. A lot of the available cars likely have issues and you’re going to need to weed through them all and lose money on DMEs until you find the right one. If you know a dealer or broker you trust, let them do the dirty work and just give you the good results. There’s no such thing as a great deal money-wise, IMO. The great deal is finding a car that meets all the right criteria with no stories, even if that means paying over perceived market values (remember, some of the perceived market value is based on the sales of storied cars at low prices where those perceiving the value don’t know the story behind the price). That being said, that doesn’t mean great deals can’t be found if the seller is looking for a quick deal or the deal is convenient.

Like I said, it took me a few years to find the right one for myself, but I’m frugal and always look for the best deal possible. In my case, that took some softening in prices before I was willing to leap on one that met all my criteria. The deals that came along before that always had hidden problems. I would be leery of third party sellers and try to find a Porsche dealer that has one, because they have to list issues like engine replacement and you will be able to get the DMEs for free if they are reasonable. It will save you a lot of time. You will pay a premium, but it pays for itself in peace of mind...

Hope that helps!
Yes, thanks. I wasn't aware of the engine replacement rate. I wonder how frequent that is.
Old 10-12-2019, 03:09 AM
skafia
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 295 Posts

Wow she's beautiful. Congratulations!
Old 10-28-2019, 10:09 AM
d.n.d.
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by QueueCumber

Hope that helps!
Long time lurker, do not post often. I have to say, well said!! Cannot stress enough to take your time finding the right one, even if it takes a while. Buying used there is almost always a story. Got to find the one with no stories.

Quick Reply: “New-To-Me” 997.2 GT3 RS with Pics