Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Range 5 over rev / Dme on personal car? share your experience.

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2019, 10:19 PM
sixtyfiver
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Range 5 over rev / Dme on personal car? share your experience.

Care to share your experience with a range (4 or 5) dme Gt3 or Rs? There seems to be a lot of second and third hand information floating about the matter. I am guilty of avoiding any car with ranges above (2) and when asked by prospective buyers looking at cars with range (4 or 5), I typically tell them to pass. If you own or have owned a car that’s had range (4 or 5) can you tell us what problems you noticed afterwards and how many miles you have clocked without incident after said over-rev.

Last edited by sixtyfiver; 07-17-2019 at 10:27 PM. Reason: More info
Old 07-20-2019, 01:48 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

had several
never an issue
in range 4-5

if you avoid range 2-3, that's pointless
it's like you had a bug bite on finger then decide to just cut the hand off.

over rev is ok
Old 07-20-2019, 03:23 AM
globed
Instructor

Received 16 Likes on 9 Posts

Here in Europe, you can still obtain a Porsche extended warranty with range 4/5 over revs. The only caveat is that you need to be at least 200 operating hours past the last range 4/5 over rev, then a leak down test and bore scope. If all is good, Porsche will issue the warranty in one or two year increments (your choice) up to 14 years since new and 125k miles.

Back to the question... unlikely to find many responses: GT3/RS owners, need to be active here on Rennlist, need to have a range 4/5 over rev, need to know about it, need to accept Scarlet Letter treatment, and finally have enough miles/hours past the incident to provide useful insight.
Old 07-20-2019, 11:27 AM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by sixtyfiver
Care to share your experience with a range (4 or 5) dme Gt3 or Rs? There seems to be a lot of second and third hand information floating about the matter. I am guilty of avoiding any car with ranges above (2) and when asked by prospective buyers looking at cars with range (4 or 5), I typically tell them to pass. If you own or have owned a car that’s had range (4 or 5) can you tell us what problems you noticed afterwards and how many miles you have clocked without incident after said over-rev.
Just look at it this way: if this were a BMW M3, a DME report/overrev report would not be possible. Undoubtedly, many cars have overrevs, yet people don't know, so they don't care. Engines aren't blowing up right and left.

Sure, having an overrev increases (slightly) the chances of damage down the line, but it doesn't guarantee it. Mechanics that I have talked to and know what they are doing (instead of people speculating on an internet board) will say that typically, an overrev is a non-issue, even range 4-5, unless mis-shifted many times. I have seen people act like one range 4 event increases the likelihood of an engine rebuild by 40%, and there is no data to back up this idea. I suppose people have to freak out about something though.

I often think that overrev reports are an example of too much information, causing analysis paralysis. It definitely makes it harder to sell a car later on down the line, just as a replaced front bumper cover and carfax noted does, even with the proper discount. Some people just can't stand the idea that a front bumper cover was resprayed, and won't buy a car like that at any cost. Me, if the price is adjusted accordingly, why should I care? I would sure as heck rather buy a car with a range 5 overrev but a proper leak-down and bore scope done vs. a car with a ton of track miles; I wouldn't pay top dollar for such a car, but wouldn't discount it either; the price issue is more based on resale value rather than if the engine has any damage.

The best place to start would be a race mechanic who specializes in GT cars. Find out how many engine rebuilds they do (or replacements) and whether it was due to a recent mis-shift, or to some other issue. I would think that a car with a lot of track time (say 40k miles) would be due a rebuild sooner rather than later, but not due to any mis-shift, but simply a lot of track miles. A mis-shift is a very specific event, and I bet older manual race cars have a zillion overrevs before getting rebuilt. Otherwise, Mezger engines would never finish a race if they were that fragile.

Money shifts do happen, but the typical one from what I understand is going to be range 6, and going to have a lot of cycles.

Maybe an actual mechanic who services a lot of Mezgers can chime in here? Otherwise we are just pissing into the wind!
Old 07-20-2019, 11:30 AM
raidersfan
Three Wheelin'

Received 154 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by globed
Here in Europe, you can still obtain a Porsche extended warranty with range 4/5 over revs. The only caveat is that you need to be at least 200 operating hours past the last range 4/5 over rev, then a leak down test and bore scope. If all is good, Porsche will issue the warranty in one or two year increments (your choice) up to 14 years since new and 125k miles.

Back to the question... unlikely to find many responses: GT3/RS owners, need to be active here on Rennlist, need to have a range 4/5 over rev, need to know about it, need to accept Scarlet Letter treatment, and finally have enough miles/hours past the incident to provide useful insight.
I would also add that if they are tracking their car a ton, the engine will need a rebuild sooner or later. Not due to the overrev, but due to the track time. I have been told that money-shift failures typically happen quickly (50 hours) from the event. 300 hours later and 15,000 track miles later wouldn't be attributed to a money shift, correct?
Old 07-20-2019, 01:06 PM
Speedster911
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 54 Posts

never an issue on my car.

I bet I have crazy overrevs on my other cars that don't have a way to measure them - who cares. If engine brakes, I have fixed.
Old 07-20-2019, 01:13 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 506 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by globed

Europe is cool.
Old 07-20-2019, 02:17 PM
JS
Race Car

Received 473 Likes on 317 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
Ha ! ! !
Old 07-20-2019, 02:27 PM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,965 Likes on 2,044 Posts

Mooty always keeping it real.
Old 07-20-2019, 04:34 PM
ngng
Drifting

Received 300 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
had several
never an issue
in range 4-5

if you avoid range 2-3, that's pointless

over rev is ok
i use the rev limiter to save a shift lol
Old 07-21-2019, 12:13 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by ngng
i use the rev limiter to save a shift lol
I show u

get to 90mph in 4th and dump it in 2nd.

sounds good, for a short while ;-)

Originally Posted by Bxstr
Mooty always keeping it real.
well I used to be very worried about these.
then my knee blows up, ankle seize, thumb broke, so occasionally I blow up an engine or two it's OK.
just drive it.
I don't mean to make it trivial
if a car has range 4/5, the price should and will be adjusted accordingly.
but that doesn't mean the car is "dead" or "passed over"
It would really **** me off if my wife divorced me b/c my thumb broke or needed knee surgery.

Quick Reply: Range 5 over rev / Dme on personal car? share your experience.