Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Cayman R as 997.1 GT3 alternative?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2019, 10:03 PM
Bgoldey
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Mooty=E.F. Hutton
I asked him for some advice once, he gave it, I ignored it, and I regret that.

Other big question is PDK versus manual. Two totally different driving experiences.
Old 07-21-2019, 01:03 AM
golfnutintib
Rennlist Member

Received 44 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by dawgcatching
Of course the GT3 is better: it has a better engine, looks incredible, and has a bunch of bespoke parts. That really wasn't my question. It was more of "Is Cayman R a performance alternative to the GT3", not "is it as good". My wife is treating a local pro driver for injuries sustained in a crash (he dominates the AutoX scene here in his BMW) and he does think the Cayman would be the better AutoX car, but that it doesn't really matter. Driver is way more important. Good thing he wants to swap lessons for us in exchange for waivers on some bills!

I bet the R with 430hp under the hood is a screamer. Congrats on that setup! I still favor the visuals of the GT3, of course.

So, why GT3 997.2 over a 991? Aside from being a manual and feeling more old-school, every unbiased review I have read is that the 991 is more capable and just as fun. She loves the 991 GT3.
I answered 'no' as to me the stock Cayman R is not a performance 'alternative' to the 7GT3 if you define 'alternative' as 'comparable' or 'roughly equal'. They are very different cans of worms, offer different things. To me a performance car challenges and thrills the driver. The Cayman R does so, the 7GT3 does so much more.

991 is a bigger car, much more stable, compliant, capable platform. Feels like 2 generations jump forward, not just one. So much so it is very DD-able, which all prior GT3's (996 or 997) are most definitely not. But with this progress also comes a price. The car is less alive, it is bigger and much less tossable. It is so stable and forgiving that you need to be going to very very fast for the car to feel fast. (Like a Mercedes S class compared to a C class.). Hard to go fast enough on the street in a 991 to have it feel really thrilling (engine noises aside), it is so good, so planted - too much so IMO.

Not so 997 GT3... it is twitchy/jiggly and the rear pendulum is much more obvious even at sane speeds. Feels very 'alive' and closer to the edge when pushed. Then the Mezger comes on cam furiously at 4500 rpm and I call it 'the lion in the trunk is roaring, ready to eat something....'

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
The 991 is more capable than the 997 GT3. It's the next evolution. I think the difference is that the 997 is less forgiving of driver error. The 991 and beyond have very sophisticated computer
systems that make minor corrections in the blink of an eye. The 997 has a few "Save Your Butt" systems but you know when they intervene. Mezger engine, Manual 6 Speed, Hydraulic steering
and a less pliant chasis just make it more raw and challenging. That's what I was looking for. But my GT3 is for track use and occasional fun drives. I have a daily driver Jeep and another 997 C2s for anything else that pops up.

For what you're talking about doing with the car I think the Cayman R or GT4 would be great choices. Getting stuck in bumper to bumper traffic in a heavy clutched 997 GT3 car is not pleasant.
Worrying that some A-Hole will be looking at his phone and crashing into you.
Agree with Mark 100%.

Originally Posted by DK7
Cayman R is boring vs. every GT3.
Not true imo. Cayman R is a cornering car, suspension/balance, slot car feel. GT3 is a juiced up to the max rear engined classic with a monster of an engine. Both are exciting. Cayman R is hardly boring. It's form factor and lively yet balanced feel is wonderful, a superlative strength.

Overall, I agree that 991 GT3 or 981 gen car (GT4 or Cayman GTS) would work very well for your wife. More dual purpose cars with an edge when called for.

We are lucky to have so many choices, none bad, among the recent P-car generations to excite, charm and thrill us.

Last edited by golfnutintib; 07-21-2019 at 10:48 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Hella-Buggin' (07-21-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 01:16 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

Good problems to have Huh?
Old 07-21-2019, 12:13 PM
noro78
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

I disagree with the statement that the R is boring.. it is boring to people that do road driving only because that's where the flamboyant nature of the GT3 comes through... Enter a hish speed sweeping corner at 90ish MPH and you will right away recognize that genius behind what the R is.

The silver R pictured above is dope!
The following users liked this post:
Abbett (07-21-2019)
Old 07-21-2019, 01:28 PM
DK7
Burning Brakes

Received 96 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by noro78
I disagree with the statement that the R is boring.. it is boring to people that... Enter a hish speed sweeping corner at 90ish MPH and you will right away recognize that genius behind what the R is.

The silver R pictured above is dope!
Enter this high speed corner at 100 mph in the GT3 and you know what driving is.
Old 07-21-2019, 03:35 PM
noro78
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by DK7
Enter this high speed corner at 100 mph in the GT3 and you know what driving is.
I'll be sure to try that on a slow day.

Quick Reply: Cayman R as 997.1 GT3 alternative?