Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 GT2/GT3 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum-141/)
-   -   Alcantara Horror - Rant & Guidance Needed (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/1151586-alcantara-horror-rant-and-guidance-needed.html)

TheKane 07-10-2019 11:05 AM

Alcantara Horror - Rant & Guidance Needed

Seriously. What the hell. On a dark headliner it's OK, and possibly the seat inserts (not OK with me, but some like it), but anywhere else and it's horrible.

The steering wheel (and shift nob) of my new-to-me GT2 is Alcantara, and so is the steering wheel on my C4GTS. My 987 Boxster Spyder steering wheel (black with black leather) was the best Porsche steering wheel I've ever had. My gloves gripped it beautifully on the track, but now slide on the Alcantara. The C4GTS Alcantara has worn down to a half Alcantara and half fuzzy sticky feel. It's disgusting.

Alcantara is basically fake suede. Who wants suede in their car? This isn't the 70's (incidentally when Alcantara was invented). Who wants a polyester and plastic steering wheel? Who believes this is a premium material or texture?
According to wikipedia: Alcantara is composed of about 68% polyester and 32% polyurethane,[5] giving increased durability and stain resistance. The appearance and tactile feel of the material is similar to that of suede, and it may be identified as such.

Jalopnik agrees: https://jalopnik.com/suede-is-a-garb...ors-1733409981

End of rant. Now guidance.

I've heard of sending out the wheel and shifter for wrapping, but I'd like to keep things as stock as possible. I was thinking about just buying new components from another 997/987 variant that are leather. Has anyone done this successfully, or is there a resource that shows compatible steering wheels? I don't have a multi-function wheel, so it should be simple.

Finlander 07-10-2019 01:22 PM

I love my alcantara steering wheels.

JS 07-10-2019 01:52 PM

I like it too.

Auto_Werks 3.6 07-10-2019 02:35 PM

I have the door cards, lower dash, headliner, seat inserts, steering wheel, and shift knob in alcantara. I actually really like it. Wiping the wheel and shifter with a damp microfiber seems to help keep some of the grime off of it.

balefire 07-10-2019 02:46 PM

I also hate my used alcantara interior.
On all the wear surfaces it makes me sad.

neurotic 07-10-2019 03:09 PM

I have full Alcantara in my GTS and GT3. I found that only way to keep them fresh is to use sonax Alcantara cleaner once a month. it is a lot of maintain but after4 years in my GTS, it still looks and smells like new.

noro 07-10-2019 04:04 PM

Dallas Customs.. they'll wrap it in whatever you want. Alcantara wheel are good for apply as little grip as possible in race conditions and is not meant to last forever.

pissedpuppy 07-10-2019 04:20 PM

Originally Posted by Brandon_ (Post 15963944)
I love my alcantara steering wheels.

I love mine too, grip is great and feels good. add in the fact you can have it re-wrapped to look brand new, or better (and thicker) is great

now, what do I do about my shifter that's alcantara?!?!?!?

bittrl1000 07-10-2019 04:52 PM

I love alcantara steering wheels! I wouldn't want to own another sports car with a leather wheel. Leather wheels inevitably start to look shiny and used. The alcantara wheel on my 2010 GT3 with 23k miles looks brand new. Plus, alcantara wheels feel nicer to grip, and my hands don't sweat as much.

Have you tried the microfiber/soapy water method to clean your wheel? While I haven't needed to do this yet, I always hear that it works great to bring the wheel back to near brand new condition.

Mr. Adair 07-10-2019 06:41 PM

Originally Posted by TheKane (Post 15963550)
Seriously. What the hell. On a dark headliner it's OK, and possibly the seat inserts (not OK with me, but some like it), but anywhere else and it's horrible.

The steering wheel (and shift nob) of my new-to-me GT2 is Alcantara, and so is the steering wheel on my C4GTS. My 987 Boxster Spyder steering wheel (black with black leather) was the best Porsche steering wheel I've ever had. My gloves gripped it beautifully on the track, but now slide on the Alcantara. The C4GTS Alcantara has worn down to a half Alcantara and half fuzzy sticky feel. It's disgusting.

Alcantara is basically fake suede. Who wants suede in their car? This isn't the 70's (incidentally when Alcantara was invented). Who wants a polyester and plastic steering wheel? Who believes this is a premium material or texture?
According to wikipedia: Alcantara is composed of about 68% polyester and 32% polyurethane,[5] giving increased durability and stain resistance. The appearance and tactile feel of the material is similar to that of suede, and it may be identified as such.

Jalopnik agrees: https://jalopnik.com/suede-is-a-garb...ors-1733409981

End of rant. Now guidance.

I've heard of sending out the wheel and shifter for wrapping, but I'd like to keep things as stock as possible. I was thinking about just buying new components from another 997/987 variant that are leather. Has anyone done this successfully, or is there a resource that shows compatible steering wheels? I don't have a multi-function wheel, so it should be simple.

There are ways to revive Alcantara. I’ve done it. Proper soft brush, right cleaner, right process etc. that said if yours is to far gone I get it. AMMO NYC guy has a tutorial somewhere. Good luck.

gt2-josh 07-10-2019 09:58 PM

Just buy Sonax and a brush. There isn't a performance car today that isn't covered in it. Yours hasn't been maintained. However if you want, all the alcantara stuff can be purchased in leather. All of it. Just buy it. JBO

Igooz 07-11-2019 10:32 AM

First do a nice cleaning as described above.
Then you can use an electric (fascial) shaver and shave the “fuzz” and the Alcantra will look almost like new again.

p0pey 07-11-2019 10:53 AM

I have a wrapped 997.2 steering wheel wrapped in leather (3rd party, full leather wrap including plastic bits). OEM thickness. if you want to take that off my hands? I'll sell @ my cost

monk46 07-11-2019 10:54 AM

I bought a new alcantera shifter for $215 couple of years ago

JS 07-11-2019 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by gt2-josh (Post 15965248)
Just buy Sonax and a brush. There isn't a performance car today that isn't covered in it. Yours hasn't been maintained. However if you want, all the alcantara stuff can be purchased in leather. All of it. Just buy it. JBO

Good looking out Josh.
I'm loaded with alcantara.
Helpful indeed.