Looking to get into my first GT3/RS... advice needed

Old 07-10-2019, 01:51 AM
Elfer1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Looking to get into my first GT3/RS... advice needed

Hi All,

I recently started a thread asking about range 5 over revs on a .2 RS and I received a lot of really great advice which caused me to look at other cars. Iíve decided to begin my search for a .1 RS, and throughout my daily searches, I came across these two cars:

https://www.europeancollectibles.com...che-911-gt3-rs

https://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-...ngId=508865721

I did some searching on the fist car (Ď08) and saw that it had been sold on BaT a couple years ago. I assume it has seen some track use based on the cage and the LWCB driverís seat that was installed prior to being sold on BaT, which doesnít bother me. The service history is lacking, which Iím not thrilled about. The DME shows 67 range 1 over revs and 11 range 2ís.

What I know about the second car is that itís had two owners (and the current owner is the original - he bought it back from the second owner). Service history is there, but I have to do some digging to get it. Not sure about DME yet as the car is going to be inspected tomorrow morning.

Iím not looking for a collector car or garage Queen. Iíd like a car thatís been driven and it doesnít need to be absolutely perfect. But I do want a good car that has been cared for properly. Coming from the air-cooled world, I know what happens to cars when they sit and maintenance is deferred. So... if anyone on here knows anything about either of the cars above (good, bad or otherwise), please share. Or, if only to offer some advice to a guy looking to get into one of these incredible cars, I greatly appreciate it either way.
Old 07-10-2019, 10:11 AM
JustinS
Super User

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Look 5 threads down to one started by Boisecar, it may be helpful in your search as well.

Good luck !
Old 07-10-2019, 10:56 AM
bweSteve
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Justin,... it looks like you wanted to point to this one... https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...-purchase.html

Elfer1, I went through the same process last Fall, and bought a Aqua Blue .2 GT3 with 10k miles. I also came from the air-cooled world (all my life in fact), and wanted a GT3 driver (& have put several thousand miles on since). You are clearly doing the correct amount of diligence, and even though I feel like I lucked out with the car I bought,... it was a needle in a haystack. I would suggest you also contact Doug at Switchcars and pay for his consulting services. The information you will gain (if he says he knows either of those 2 cars) will easily be worth it (especially if there are areas that might need $coin$ to bring up to snuff maintenance wise).

Question: The DME report on the 2008 w/ 15k miles - Did those over-revs occur a long time ago based on the operating hours? .. If so, you should be fine there.

The maintenance is probably the most important thing. I inspected my car personally before buying, drove it, had it up on lift, looked at all the DME, Carfax, prior owner history, and maintenance records. I was clearly satisfied enough to buy it (& I have rebuilt several 70's & 80's 911's in my past). You should feel that way too,... or at least know what you are getting into. My car also did not have the coolant lines pinned, and I used that to negotiate a lower price.

I don't know either of those 2 cars personally, but I bet there are guys on here that do, given many of them have been in the GT3 markets a LOT longer than me.

Keep plugging away!! It will be WORTH IT once you start driving it on a regular basis. I gotta admit I was quite satisfied with my 1991 964 Turbo for 15 years,.. and now all I want to do is hear that Mezger engine sing!!
=Steve
Old 07-10-2019, 01:50 PM
JustinS
Super User

Originally Posted by bweSteve View Post
Justin,... it looks like you wanted to point to this one... https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...-purchase.html
Yes, thought it may be of help to him.
Thanks.
Old 07-10-2019, 05:21 PM
Elfer1
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bweSteve View Post

Question: The DME report on the 2008 w/ 15k miles - Did those over-revs occur a long time ago based on the operating hours? .. If so, you should be fine there.

The maintenance is probably the most important thing.
Thanks Steve. The over revs happened at 30 and 50 hours respectively and the car has about 450 hours of operating time, so Iím not concerned about them.

As for the maintenance on the 27k mike car, Iíve been able to get some records from Champion Porsche but itís very minimal. Apparently they ďpurgeĒ records after a certain amount of time and thereís no longer any record of the work, just that some kind of service had been performed and the date. Seems kind of ridiculous for the largest P-car dealer in the country to not store better records. I did have the car inspected by Kevin at KMW Motorsports this morning and he said it was a great car. The only thing he noted that needs attention are the frunk struts and one of the cup holders doesnít work properly.

Originally Posted by JustinS View Post
Yes, thought it may be of help to him.
Thanks.
Iíve been paying close attention to Justinís thread, knowing that it might help me. But I havenít been able to find anything on the two specific cars Iím looking at. So was hoping maybe someone else had looked at them already and might have some insight into why they may have passed on the cars.

Last edited by Elfer1; 07-11-2019 at 10:58 AM.
Old 07-10-2019, 08:39 PM
JustinS
Super User

I have seen both of these for sale for quite some time and seem to be nice deals but I do not any further intel on either.
Perhaps someone here has had one of them inspected at some point.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: