Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 GT2/GT3 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum-141/)
-   -   Track mods for 997.1 (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/1150750-track-mods-for-997-1-a.html)

74goldtarga 07-04-2019 11:13 AM

Track mods for 997.1

I purchased my 997.1 on a whim without a real plan. I have a 944 Turbo race car with a 3.0L, full cage, fully sorted suspension, etc that is about as fast as a 997.1 GT3. But it breaks - and I wanted something streetable.

The new to me 997.1 has been corner balanced and aligned and the coolant pipes have been pinned. The iron Girodisc slotted rotors are in front with CCB calipers and Zimmerman slotted rotors in the rear. I have pagid blacks and yellows available. It has a GT2 sway bar in the rear. I have a roll bar not yet re-installed. 18” wheels with Hoosiers for tires.

Mods for the track:
TPC - DSC - for sure
Guard Transmission LSD - maybe next year
A seat and harnesses

A couple of questions for the forum.

If I’m running stock ride-height and everything else is stock do I need upgraded rear toe links?

What is a good seat to use (not the GT2 seats - too much $$$ for now) for 6’3” 185, thin with long legs? Would probably prefer a Hans style seat

If the rear wing is set for maximum downforce should I run a different splitter than stock?

Happy Independence Day

nad617 07-04-2019 02:11 PM

Congrats on the purchase! You now have a classic porsche.
The answer to use rear toe links or not depends on how aggressive you are and what types of roads/tracks you are on.
I assume since you have a race car you are an accomplished driver who will load the suspension fully there fore toe links will help maintain your preferred alignment specs
I have a 2007 gt3 that is primarily track but some street driving. It has a relatively standard ride height and hybrid track/street alignment. The roads where I live are atrocious and even civil street driving has changed my rear toe settings. I have learned the hard way that my car is sensitive to even small toe changes so I will be installing toe links in the off season.

74goldtarga 07-04-2019 03:26 PM

My impression is that rear toe links are the one “must have” aftermarket suspension piece besides maybe the GT2 rear sway. Correct me if I’m wrong.

nad617 07-04-2019 03:45 PM

I would put the toe links relatively high on the list of mods if you are going to be tracking consistently. The loss of rear alignment spec under load particularly heaving braking zones with camber or road crown changes can be interesting (scary) when the rear suspension cannot maintain toe symmetry.
For example if you know Road America the braking zone into turn 5 has a central crown than most cars will cross as they approach turn in. I can say this was not fun (scary) until I go my rear end set and stable.
I have paid attention to what the other GT masters have said and done I am sure 1 or 2 will pipe in with words of wisdom. I have yet to do the rear sway bar switch to GT2 model but that is on my offseason upgrade list.
Your car sounds like it is ready to roll and a set of toe links would be w nice finishing touch.

JS 07-04-2019 11:46 PM

Congrats ! ! !

grrrmonster 07-05-2019 10:18 AM

Why the gt2 rear bar when the 997.1 is already inherently prone to understeer?? Mine has the gt2 bar, have to run it full soft and have shimmed out the front control arms as much as possible to widen track up front. Still battling mid corner understeer

Btw, a cup style rear wing make noticeable difference in high speed corners.

Removing the rubber wherever it exists with grim joints, solid engine mounts, transmission mounts, etc helps a track prepped car

D1ESEL 07-05-2019 11:18 AM

Congrats on the GT3!

74goldtarga 07-05-2019 12:13 PM

I think the GT2 bar is stiffer, which would reduce understeer. Anyway, solid suspension bushings throughout works great but on my 951 it became unusable on the street. I want to keep the GT3 close to stock but competent, if not really fast, on track.

PDL996 07-05-2019 02:00 PM

Congratulations on the GT3!

74goldtarga 07-05-2019 02:40 PM

Thanks. Excited to have a GT3, thought I might never have the chance but made it happen. Thankful to have a very special machine - no longer new but I think it looks and sounds and feels perfect. Has to be the last MT car I ever buy, right?

As an aside - my first car was an Integra - Silver. My 944 Turbo that I’ve had for 14 years - Silver. The 911 I’ve wanted since the 996 GT3 came out (since I knew they could make it look better, and they did) - Silver. So it definitely fits.

i never got to have the NSX I wanted but the GT3 is better so I am very blessed.

RAudi Driver 07-05-2019 11:06 PM

Love that 944 pic!

MingusDew 07-06-2019 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by grrrmonster (Post 15953421)
Why the gt2 rear bar when the 997.1 is already inherently prone to understeer?? Mine has the gt2 bar, have to run it full soft and have shimmed out the front control arms as much as possible to widen track up front. Still battling mid corner understeer

Making the rear softer will increase grip at the rear, which if the front is lacking in grip then by increasing traction at the rear the front is now even more of a problem. If you’re experiencing understeer you need to soften the front and stiffen the back to get it to rotate more.

nad617 07-06-2019 01:44 PM

I agree with all the above suggestions for set up. In regards to fixing mid corner understeer I found that lowering front ride height a few millimeters helped greatly. Others have suggested that raising rear ride height can also help. For me and my braking technique I found it unsettled my rear end too much in big braking zones. Your results may be better.

74goldtarga 07-06-2019 03:13 PM

Thanks all. Good discussion on understanding corner steering balance. I haven’t driven my GT3 on track yet but my buddy who sold me the car likes it as is. I think he was using 255 18”s in front which are now mine, I guess they rub but only in the paddock. Like I said, I don’t know how a GT3 feels on track other than the one time I drove a student’s car at 5/10ths. Makes sense that a slight drop of height in front would add a small dose of front grip and probably total grip through aero affects. I think I’m going to grab a Cup splitter.

ngng 11-21-2019 02:04 AM

I would not run hohos on a stock suspension car. But that's just me. Especially if you just picked this car up. Test your breakaway torque and see if your diff is open, if it is, I would move the LSD to the front of the list.