Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

New GT4; keep your 997?

Old 06-21-2019, 02:00 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by joejenie
I agree. This whole website is for pontificating with other like minded individuals. Personally, I would rather have the older GT3. I do understand why someone would pick the new Cayman though. I am getting a new Spyder, but luckily I can keep my other cars. Spyder mainly for wife.
Exactly. My brother has a 991.1 C2S and is looking into another car. Sent me info in a blue GT3 991.2 today CPO. I sent him a few links to some 997.2 GT3 and 3RS and he really isn’t interested. I guess he is use to the Size etc of the 991 and most of all, he really likes the security of driving a CPO car. That’s cool, I just happen to like the 997 better, but it’s fun to discuss each other’s opinions. It’s a hell of a lot more fun and less risky than discussing politics in this day and age 😫
Old 06-21-2019, 02:08 AM
rodH
Rennlist Member

Received 128 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
im weary of what he is NOT saying

u sound like an old fart , like me

im not as smart as u
o had three gt4 total 30k miles then I decoded
meh. but of course i
have new gt4 coming just so i can say a year later ... MEH.

too rationalized. trust me 997 is cheaper than gt4
u will agree in a few more years

oh I heard some
say gt4 lighter clutch to live day to day. porsche has not made a car with heacy clutch since 356. actually 356 has easy clutch too. if one finds gt3 clutch heavy...

1. goto gym for a leg day
2. pls buy pdk

one reason i dislike 991rs and gt4 was the clutch being way too light.
Thats pretty funny. I kept hearing how heavy the clutch is on the 997 GT3. My buddy has a 997.2 GT3 with lots of shark works stuff on it for the track. He warned me as well when I drive it for the first time. I was like “wtf, this clutch isn’t that heavy, why does everyone always say that?” I guess I have driven enough sports cars and race cars from the late 80s til present but if anything I like the slightly more stiff feel, better modulation and engagement feel. If anything, i didn’t even notice it until he said something about it and I quickly forgot about it again. I am use to riding dirt bikes, racing shifter karts, etc, so perhaps I drive such a variety of vehicles that my brain just adapts? Idk, it’s simply not a big deal and if it is, go buy a freakin base (nonS) 992 in PDK (aka “Panamera coupe”).
Old 06-21-2019, 11:00 AM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 500 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Modena 1
The title is a joke right?

The same was said when 991 gt3 came out

The same was said when the 991 gt3 rs came out

The same was said when the 991 R came out

The same was said when the 991.2! Gt3 came out with 6 speed!

The same was said when then 991.2 gt3 rs came out

The same was said when the 991.2 Touring (but still lacking rear seats) came out

And yes the same was said when the gt4 (current) came out

When you are done adding up all the cars above for sale currently I think you will have your answer.
Love AP but his job is to sell cars. Ask anybody in the Motorsports department if they could own just one GT car, a 997 or a GT4 which they would pick...
The following users liked this post:
jonwb (06-21-2019)
Old 06-21-2019, 11:09 AM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 500 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by rodH
Thats pretty funny. I kept hearing how heavy the clutch is on the 997 GT3. My buddy has a 997.2 GT3 with lots of shark works stuff on it for the track. He warned me as well when I drive it for the first time. I was like “wtf, this clutch isn’t that heavy, why does everyone always say that?” I guess I have driven enough sports cars and race cars from the late 80s til present but if anything I like the slightly more stiff feel, better modulation and engagement feel. If anything, i didn’t even notice it until he said something about it and I quickly forgot about it again. I am use to riding dirt bikes, racing shifter karts, etc, so perhaps I drive such a variety of vehicles that my brain just adapts? Idk, it’s simply not a big deal and if it is, go buy a freakin base (nonS) 992 in PDK (aka “Panamera coupe”).
This ^ If you have had manual sports cars from different makes over the last 20-30 years you’d realize this is the way all of the clutches felt. I think it’s perfect and it modulates perfectly...
Old 06-21-2019, 11:22 AM
noro
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

My original clutch was very very heavy. I can't tell if it gradually became heavy or was it like that since new since I only had the car for a year. I replaced the clutch and now it's just a tad bit heavier than most cars I know. I am guessing that many cars had the clutch replaced and the "heavy" problem went away for many.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: New GT4; keep your 997?