Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 GT2/GT3 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum-141/)
-   -   997.1 Factory wheel color (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/1147232-997-1-factory-wheel-color.html)

bmwtye 06-10-2019 08:00 PM

997.1 Factory wheel color

For the 2007 and 2008 GT3, is the factory silver of the wheels GT Silver? If not, does anyone have the paint code for them.

gt2-josh 06-11-2019 01:24 AM

I don't have the code. But since '99 it's been the same. It's called Liquid Silver. JBO

RAudi Driver 06-11-2019 11:37 AM

Appears someone is going back to stock. Are you going to be selling off all the aftermarket parts afterwards? I'm sure those will go quick.

9872SpeedYellowCS 06-11-2019 07:25 PM

I believe the 997.2 GT3 wheels were GT Silver

Not sure of the 997.1 finish but Porsche uses Platinum Silver (9A1) for most of their silver wheel finishes and I would bet its the case for your example

bmwtye 06-11-2019 07:48 PM

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Appears someone is going back to stock. Are you going to be selling off all the aftermarket parts afterwards? I'm sure those will go quick.

Yes. All offers I received for the car were 75k in its modified form. So converting it back to stock. Keeping majority of parts for the future :)

ABT_SLC 06-12-2019 12:02 PM

So which one is it?

gt2-josh 06-12-2019 12:21 PM

This paint dates back to the 964. It's not Platinum. Just look at the 991 GT3 wheel color options and you can scratch Platinum off. It's not GT Silver. GT Silver was introduced on the 997 as a body color after folks complained for years about Polar and Arctic. Not that they both don't have supporters. The only way to get GT Silver wheels was to order wheels painted exterior color. The one thing I like in the post is the paint code. That registers with me but I'm not sure either way. I still believe it is called Liquid Silver but I am not 100%. Porsche didn't publish standard wheel colors historically because wheel refinishers use PPG machines to mix colors that replicate the difference in paint from aging heat wear etc. So other than in full restorations getting actual Porsche silver wheel paint isn't relevant. It simply wouldn't match. JBO

bweSteve 06-12-2019 02:22 PM

So in comparison to the 997.2 GT3 silver rim colors,... are you guys speculating that Porsche changed the name from .1 "Liquid Silver",... to the .2 "Titanium Silver" ???

This was discussed when I posted in this thread back in February,... POST # 977
https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-...thread-66.html

In that same thread & post, Rennlister "moacur" also gave a link to Suncoast (which says Titanium for the 997.2 GT3):
https://www.suncoastparts.com/produc...YaAmIJEALw_wcB

But Suncoast does not seem to reference a rim color name for the 997.1 ...
https://www.suncoastparts.com/product/19GT3WH.html

Can anyone post a link to a reference that says "Liquid" for the .1?

... Huuuuuuge difference in price between the .1 & .2 for replacement rims too. Wow, never knew that.
=Steve

gt2-josh 06-12-2019 02:27 PM

I said I heard it was Liquid Silver. However I have no proof. I haven't done a ton of research because my wheel refinishing guy didn't want to go there. I appreciate the confirmation of Titanium Silver for 997.2s. Hadn't heard about that before. And I wanted folks to know it's definitely not Platinum Silver so they don't go down that rat hole. JBO

bweSteve 06-12-2019 02:45 PM

right on JBO. ... & i would even question how Suncoast knows to call it Titanium for the .2's

... ie wish Porsche would publish something somewhere.

for me it's just a curiosity. I like documenting facts & triboids for my cars (so when I die, my kids know what a lunatic I was, Lol)
=Steve

gt2-josh 06-12-2019 02:48 PM

Right on Steve. We have a lot in common :) Best Josh

bweSteve 06-13-2019 12:42 AM

I apologize ahead of time, since this doesn't help OP bmwtye,... but this discussion sure does reinforce that I should not scratch, curb, or otherwise damage my factory finish eh.
sigh.

.... I'm gonna try hard not to think about that fact,... cuz I hate it when crap like that gets in my head & I start thinking about protecting the car verses driving it. I've done the best I could so far with Ceramic on literally every inch of the car inside & out, plus film. So whatever happens, happens.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming, and trying to find bmwtye the color code for the .1 silver rims.

.... OR if you can't find paint in that color somewhere, you could always take someones car / rim to a automotive paint supply store that has one of the paint reading camera's, and get a special blend mixed up. I have done that for several older 911's I've owned in the past. When you place the camera down onto the surface in multiple locations (it's more like a optical eye type device), it takes many readings and averages them out. I have had good success with that. AND you can request your own special blend of gloss percentages too (although I would think for GT3 rims, you'd go full 100% gloss). As an example, for some older Camaro engine blacks, I had to get several variations of sheen until I had the exact gloss-verses-flat sheen that came from the factory (but I digress).

Anyway,... if you can't find the factory paint right-out-of-the-can anywhere, the above might be an option.

There might also be a possible problem with my idea though too,... in that those cameras typically need a nice flat surface to lay the camera down on (to get a good color reading). it has to seal against the surface so that zero outside light penetrates to the lens while it is taking the reading.
=Steve

ard 09-03-2021 07:29 PM

Prismatic Powders Color to match factory color

Reviving this older thread, which is the nearest match to what I am looking for based on search results.

TL DR: PO had the wheels painted black and I want to go back to the factory silver color.

As others have pointed out it seems no mean feat to figure out the color used - car is a 997.1 GT3RS. Has anyone tried Prismatic Powders "Porsche Silver" shown here with a clear coat? If so, any opinion on how close to "factory" the result is would be greatly appreciated.

"Thank you,

//alex

ljmartyre 09-03-2021 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by ard (Post 17647165)
Reviving this older thread, which is the nearest match to what I am looking for based on search results.

TL DR: PO had the wheels painted black and I want to go back to the factory silver color.

As others have pointed out it seems no mean feat to figure out the color used - car is a 997.1 GT3RS. Has anyone tried Prismatic Powders "Porsche Silver" shown here with a clear coat? If so, any opinion on how close to "factory" the result is would be greatly appreciated.

"Thank you,

//alex

Paint code is 9A1 Brilliant Silver.
Newer Porsches use 8Z8 Brilliant Silver.

I highly recommend having them painted.
Powdercoating will never give you the distinct shine with a silver wheel.