Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Oslo Blue RS

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2019, 02:04 AM
EMpunker
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 138 Posts

Having a PTS Speedster, I'm hopeful that the market for PTS continues to appreciate...

But I have to agree with:

Originally Posted by Modena 1
Colors are cool but paying more than 10-20% more for the same car is insane imo.

Dirty little secret. They all drive the same.
Old 06-02-2019, 04:16 AM
erikerik
Rennlist Member

Received 121 Likes on 42 Posts

This Oslo car would have sold a long time ago if it weren't for the engine replacement regardless of price.
Old 06-04-2019, 09:54 PM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

Received 417 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
They bought it for under 200 for sure. I looked at it when for sale at last place and I swear it was bought around 16x,xxx (due to engine issue). Immediately listed for 349 after they picked it up. I just laughed.
I don’t know exactly how much over but they paid over $200k for the car. I know who they bought the car from and I know the general price range they paid and it was absolutely north of $200k. The car originated in NJ. The engine replacement was supposedly due to a flywheel bolt issue around 1000 miles. Not sure if the pictures show the detail but the wheels were also custom ordered in grey and the stripe kit matches the wheels. I almost bought the car and even had a PPI performed and I ended up buying something else and Isrignhausen bought the car about a week later.
Old 06-04-2019, 11:58 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 500 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2race
I don’t know exactly how much over but they paid over $200k for the car. I know who they bought the car from and I know the general price range they paid and it was absolutely north of $200k. The car originated in NJ. The engine replacement was supposedly due to a flywheel bolt issue around 1000 miles. Not sure if the pictures show the detail but the wheels were also custom ordered in grey and the stripe kit matches the wheels. I almost bought the car and even had a PPI performed and I ended up buying something else and Isrignhausen bought the car about a week later.
Good info. Do you think it really resulted in a fire? It’s a great spec. One of the coolest DZL packages I have seen. The person who spec’d it did well..
Old 06-05-2019, 07:53 AM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

The engine never caught fire, well if it did catch fire there was an Area 51 caliber cover up. Haha

The car sat at Cherry Hill Porsche for months waiting for a motor. I saw the car sitting in the shop and it was spotless.
Old 06-05-2019, 01:26 PM
Saru385
Burning Brakes

Received 92 Likes on 42 Posts

i've not seen the list of parts that were replaced, but i think the fire theory came about based on that.
i think the replacement motor has scared off the real collector crowd, so maybe price will eventually drop low enough for a driver to buy it.
Old 06-05-2019, 02:39 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Originally Posted by luv2race
Then someone bought it before them for under 200. I had a shot at it under 200. It was briefly listed online for under 200.
Old 06-06-2019, 12:29 PM
skafia
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 288 Posts

If the car didn't have a replacement engine due to a fire, I wonder what the asking price would be.
Old 06-07-2019, 11:04 PM
luv2race
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
Then someone bought it before them for under 200. I had a shot at it under 200. It was briefly listed online for under 200.
Are you sure this was the same car? I know the original owner, after i declined to buy the car it was traded into Land Rover of Cherry Hill (sister company of original selling Porsche dealer and the same Porsche dealer did the engine replacement) for more than $200k and they sold it to Isringhausen in less than a week. If you were ever offered “this” car for less than $200k you missed a great deal. The car has never sold below $200k since the original purchase. The only reason I didn’t buy the car is I had an impending divorce settlement and my attorney strongly advised against any car purchases. Haha

Looks like we both missed out its a nice car, too pricey for me now but I would have paid low $200’s for sure.
Old 06-09-2019, 06:57 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

I’m sure there’s not another Oslo Blue engine replaced 997rs. And that dealer name does sound familiar. Given you were close to the the original owner, I’ll concede your memory is probably better than mine. I had a buddy send me a link the day it hit the market. I can’t remember if the dealer SA or an RL’er I reached out to told me about the engine issue (one or both did)? Once I found out the engine had been replaced, I backed away. Then I saw what Isri listed it for a while later.......... At that price, I actually assumed it was something they wanted to hang onto vs actually sell. Seems like I’ve seen them do that before: have a car for sale for a year or more at some crazy price and then one day drop it down to reality and sell it. When I see dealers do that on something fairly rare, I sometimes wonder if it’s something the dealership owner doesn’t really want to sell: maybe it’s for foot traffic, maybe they are collectors themselves or maybe they list it for loony number for a while just to see if there’s also a 1-of-1 buyer that has to have it?

Super cool and rare color. I’d price it similar to or below a same-condition/miles/spec/etc no-stories std color 997.2rs. And even then, that no-story standard car is gonna be easier to move if/when you resell it. I’m guessing a lot of people might consider a 1-of-1 a permanent keeper. But I’ve sold a few perma-keepers of my own
Old 06-09-2019, 09:48 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

I have owned engine replaced cars before. I'm not scared of them mechanically. They just need to be bought at the right price and you need to acknowledge that it's going to be a hard/long process to sell it if/when you do.
Old 06-09-2019, 10:51 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,957 Likes on 2,038 Posts

First question for me is how can you tell the engine has been replaced? Not sure if looking at stampings and numbers on the engine would make sense since you may not know which engine came in the car. Now I understand that the carfax on this car may say the engine has been replaced, but so many of the GT3's I have seen have the engine removed early on in their life for crankshaft oil seal replacement. So differentiating between an engine replacement and an engine removal may be difficult.

Second question is if an engine is replaced for a non fire reason, let's say the engine just had issues and Porsche decided to replace, why would that affect value for something other than a very limited production car like a 4.0. I mean I sort of understand why, but I would be way more concerned about a car having paintwork than a car having a random issue and a replacement engine being replaced under warranty. Just means that the engine should now be stronger. But I do understand that from a collector perspective in 10 years that is going to be much less desirable to own and there should be a price difference to account for this.

If I was given two cars side by side, even if one was $10k more, I would definitely want the one without the engine replacement, no doubt. But if one had an engine replacement and one had paint work and the engine replacement was not for a fire, I would probably take the engine replacement car.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:13 AM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

It is being priced like a very limited edition 1-of-1 car..........not like a driver. So, that’s why it matters so much and more like your 4.0 example. And, should you have any mechanical concerns?...........no, it’s purely a resale hassle later on. Engine replace, paint-work, whatever..........a car with a lot of “collector value” attached to it like a 1-of-1 pts 997.2rs, any story is going to matter a lot. Someone that wants to drive and take to their grave a unique blue 997.2 is the buyer for this guy imo.
Old 06-09-2019, 11:16 AM
Bxstr
Rennlist Member

Received 2,957 Likes on 2,038 Posts

Great point, just wanted to be sure I was thinking about it correctly.
Old 06-09-2019, 07:43 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 384 Posts

I wish they would sell this car for $180-190k (which is all it is worth). I would buy it and run the wheels off it.

Quick Reply: Oslo Blue RS