Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums

Rennlist - Porsche Discussion Forums (https://rennlist.com/forums/)
-   997 GT2/GT3 Forum (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum-141/)
-   -   Seriously considering this 2010 Gt3 RS (https://rennlist.com/forums/997-gt2-gt3-forum/1142686-seriously-considering-this-2010-gt3-rs.html)

sixtyfiver 05-12-2019 02:35 PM

Seriously considering this Gt3 RS

Dealer states clean as a whistle but I’m not 100% comfortable as of yet. Would hate to purchase, have shipped and find it’s been a track rat that needs a lot of attention.

Bxstr 05-12-2019 03:53 PM

Get a PPI on it from a reputable indepdent shop in the area. I am guessing there are plenty of people in the Boston area that would be willing to put eyes on it for you and maybe run a paint meter over it as well.

In general though, I would not trust what the dealer is telling you. Most of these dealers are going to tell you whatever you want to hear in order to sell it. Happened to me on my last purchase. Saw it in person and it was not as described when I got down there, but ended up buying it anyway.

sixtyfiver 05-12-2019 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by Bxstr (Post 15835768)
Get a PPI on it from a reputable indepdent shop in the area. I am guessing there are plenty of people in the Boston area that would be willing to put eyes on it for you and maybe run a paint meter over it as well.

In general though, I would not trust what the dealer is telling you. Most of these dealers are going to tell you whatever you want to hear in order to sell it. Happened to me on my last purchase. Saw it in person and it was not as described when I got down there, but ended up buying it anyway.

That’s my fear, hoping someone in the area has seen it and shares some info. The pictures look good but pictures and reality are completely different. Will try to arrange PPI but if it’s a good car, it will sell before I get a chance.

smq42 05-12-2019 05:07 PM

I work around the corner from dealership and acquired a 997.1 GT3 last year. PM me if you want me to drop by for a look and if you have specific questions. I can probably get there sometime this week.

I also know couple of good independent Porsche mechanics in the area who could do a through PPI.

Good luck!

Bxstr 05-12-2019 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by sixtyfiver (Post 15835804)
That’s my fear, hoping someone in the area has seen it and shares some info. The pictures look good but pictures and reality are completely different. Will try to arrange PPI but if it’s a good car, it will sell before I get a chance.

If you put a deposit down on it and make that contingent on the car passing a PPI then they should have no issue with it if they are confident in the car. My criteria of passing would be nothing major, like no range 4+ overrevs, no paintwork, no major issues that would require thousands to fix.

bonehead 05-12-2019 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Bxstr (Post 15835947)
If you put a deposit down on it and make that contingent on the car passing a PPI then they should have no issue with it if they are confident in the car. My criteria of passing would be nothing major, like no range 4+ overrevs, no paintwork, no major issues that would require thousands to fix.

You do realize a range 4 in a GT3/RS is well over redline, right? I would think twice if it had anything over a range 1 (even that is over redline).
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...f45fece30a.jpg

Bxstr 05-12-2019 05:48 PM

Originally Posted by bonehead (Post 15836001)
You do realize a range 4 in a GT3/RS is well over redline, right? I would think twice if it had anything over a range 1 (even that is over redline).
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/rennlis...f45fece30a.jpg

Yes, I do. So I really should rephrase my statement to say nothing above range 1 or 2. Thanks for the catch.

This is a great video regarding overrevs.

9872SpeedYellowCS 05-12-2019 05:49 PM

Originally Posted by Bxstr (Post 15835947)

This, just put a deposit down contingent on PPI and get a PPI scheduled for early this week.

bonehead 05-12-2019 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Bxstr (Post 15836007)
Yes, I do. So I really should rephrase my statement to say nothing above range 1 or 2. Thanks for the catch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKgOAWMjZLQ&t=281s

This video has been very enlightening for many of us!

OP, if this car checks out, it'd jump on it. Price looks to be in line with the market with the miles and options. Plus, it's CPO which is always a bonus. Jump on it and get the PPI.

sixtyfiver 05-12-2019 06:09 PM

Will put deposit and order PPI.

neurotic 05-12-2019 07:24 PM

I've been searching for an .2RS for a while now....my only word of advice is: don't trust what the dealer tells you--get a PPI.
These cars tend to have modifications--bypass exhaust, track suspension, roll bars, etc etc etc
Nothing wrong with these mods at all, but you just need to know this before flying across the country.
A DME is very helpful; keep it under range 3 over-rev but I've seen track cars w/ 0 over-revs, so don't completely depend on the DME.

I hope the search for me ends this year as prices continue to come down. When I started back in 2016, many of these cars were over 200K--now you can find a well-cared car for 160s.

good luck!

BryanCO 05-12-2019 11:58 PM

Originally Posted by Bxstr (Post 15836007)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HKgOAWMjZLQ&t=281s

Rephrase?

Since you are ‘rephrasing your statement’, what is it? Range 1 or range 2?

jgorscak 05-13-2019 02:23 PM

I wouldn't worry about anything in range 1 or 2. If range 3 check the hour in which it occurred and if it was in the past and no other issues have arose since then I would be ok with it. Stay away from Range 4 and up.

I recently completed my search for a 7.2RS and found a very nice car. Searched for about a year though. If you have any questions about any of the cars currently on the market feel free to contact me. I've done an extensive amount of research on most of the cars currently on the market. That being said this one is relatively new to the market and I don't know anything about it.

Good luck! They are amazing cars

Bxstr 05-13-2019 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by BryanCO (Post 15836571)
Rephrase?

Since you are ‘rephrasing your statement’, what is it? Range 1 or range 2?

Not sure, I would look at multiple items on the car and not just the over revs. So if it was an otherwise perfect car, I would take a car with some range 2's. But I would prefer a car with no over revs or range 1's only.

sixtyfiver 05-30-2019 12:06 PM

Purchased vehicle, transport truck in route to So Cal. Fingers crossed, hope their definition of clean/clean meets my expectations. Thanks to everyone that chimed in, helped me pull the trigger.