Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.2 RS Bypass Exhaust Height (FVD)

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 07:15 PM
drumzz
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 997.2 RS Bypass Exhaust Height (FVD)

though i've been a member here for some time, I've not posted before..

I recently purchased an FVD bypass which was subsequently fitted to my 997.2 GT3 RS. Noticed the gap of the tips to the top of the bumper is far too large. Using stock tips as per the pictures here, the gap is far too large, as if the whole bypass pipe is sitting too low. Having browsed here, seen little mention of this issue before. The stock tips are lined up to the highest point. which still doesn't seem to solve the problem.

Any input would be appreciated please!

Old 04-16-2019, 12:48 AM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,637 Posts

Pull your bumper off and take a look. Recall someone asking about motor moountswearing and causing the engine to sag bit, which would also cause the muffler to hang low.

First step remove your bumper and see what's going on.
Old 04-16-2019, 01:37 AM
LateBraking
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

You sure you're as high as you can go on those tips? Have you tried playing with this adjustment? Looks like your tips are sitting as low as they go on those adjustments. Not sure how much adjustment you can typically get out of this area, but I seem to recall getting a decent amount of adjustment with my Akrapovic tips when I was re-installing them back in the day by fiddling with the offset hole washers' fitment.
Old 04-16-2019, 09:42 AM
CT944
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

Not that this is helpful, but I'd go with larger diameter tips regardless.
Old 04-16-2019, 10:32 AM
redmonkey928
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 226 Posts

The whole bypass needs to be rotated upwards, the stock side mufflers have two inlets on each side - the bottom inlet being the larger diameter tube which is fixed; and the upper inlet into the bypass (from side muffler) is a flex pipe. If you can envision, the bypass can rotate on the bottom larger inlet pipe, and the flex pipe on the will move along with that.

Loosen all four clamps on the bypass - and then rotate or push your tips upwards towards the bumper. Retighten the clamps when its where you want it. It will look aesthetically much better and might reduce the gap that your posting about.
Old 04-17-2019, 04:45 PM
drumzz
AutoX

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver
Pull your bumper off and take a look. Recall someone asking about motor moountswearing and causing the engine to sag bit, which would also cause the muffler to hang low.

First step remove your bumper and see what's going on.
this is not the case here, as the car had a major inspection just recently.. in addition, the stock muffler was at the normal/factory height before it was switched out. thank you for the suggestion however

Originally Posted by LateBraking
You sure you're as high as you can go on those tips? Have you tried playing with this adjustment? Looks like your tips are sitting as low as they go on those adjustments. Not sure how much adjustment you can typically get out of this area, but I seem to recall getting a decent amount of adjustment with my Akrapovic tips when I was re-installing them back in the day by fiddling with the offset hole washers' fitment.
i tried to do this, and it was at the highest point. However, looking at what you point out, it may mean the eccentric washers need to be turned around to allow some movement upwards - thank you!

Originally Posted by redmonkey928
The whole bypass needs to be rotated upwards, the stock side mufflers have two inlets on each side - the bottom inlet being the larger diameter tube which is fixed; and the upper inlet into the bypass (from side muffler) is a flex pipe. If you can envision, the bypass can rotate on the bottom larger inlet pipe, and the flex pipe on the will move along with that.

Loosen all four clamps on the bypass - and then rotate or push your tips upwards towards the bumper. Retighten the clamps when its where you want it. It will look aesthetically much better and might reduce the gap that your posting about.
may I ask if this is common, and easy to do? don't want to go bending anything - would there be much movement in the exhaust height?

thank you in advance!
Old 04-18-2019, 07:48 PM
LateBraking
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by drumzz
However, looking at what you point out, it may mean the eccentric washers need to be turned around to allow some movement upwards - thank you!
That was kind of what I was thinking, but you said it much more eloquently. Haha. I don't know how people have these washers set typically but I could have sworn I had them flipped or at least more narrow side downwards when I had the Akrapovic installed. It uses the same system for the exhaust tips despite supplying aftermarket tips. Could theoretically put Akra tips on any other center delete or even stock muffler, although that'd be silly.
Old 04-19-2019, 03:41 AM
nstymatt
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Assuming your center bypass is similar to the one below, you just need to loosen the 4 clamps circled in red. Then the bypass should be able to be rotated upwards. The top pipe on the side muffler is a flex pipe, so it will move with the center bypass as it's rotated on the lower side muffler pipe. Might need some pb blaster for motivation if the bypass doesn't budge

Depending on the clearances and how your bypass is mounted, I think it's possible to do this without removing the rear bumper.
Old 04-19-2019, 09:45 AM
drumzz
AutoX

Originally Posted by LateBraking
That was kind of what I was thinking, but you said it much more eloquently. Haha. I don't know how people have these washers set typically but I could have sworn I had them flipped or at least more narrow side downwards when I had the Akrapovic installed. It uses the same system for the exhaust tips despite supplying aftermarket tips. Could theoretically put Akra tips on any other center delete or even stock muffler, although that'd be silly.
thank you, I shall try that out, may be the magic trick!

Originally Posted by nstymatt
Assuming your center bypass is similar to the one below, you just need to loosen the 4 clamps circled in red. Then the bypass should be able to be rotated upwards. The top pipe on the side muffler is a flex pipe, so it will move with the center bypass as it's rotated on the lower side muffler pipe. Might need some pb blaster for motivation if the bypass doesn't budge

Depending on the clearances and how your bypass is mounted, I think it's possible to do this without removing the rear bumper.
this is most useful, thanks for the help. However, i note that the bypass comes with two additional clamps, which yours does not have? Any idea what these are? The way they are mounted also, means the screw heads stick out from underneath the bumper also, which doesn't look the best..any advice appreciated!
Old 04-22-2019, 10:38 PM
nstymatt
Instructor

Those clamps are used to attach the center bypass to the center muffler exhaust bracket:

For those clamps, you can just loosen them and slide them off the exhaust bracket. After the bypass has been rotated, put them back on and re-tighten. Actually looking at that photo, there should be enough space to do this without removing the rear bumper. But it likely depends on the direction that the clamps' screws are facing and if you can wiggle a wrench in there
Old 04-26-2019, 10:52 AM
drumzz
AutoX

much appreciated, thank you for the help and photos!
Old 04-28-2019, 05:51 PM
drumzz
AutoX

your tips have helped and it was a simple case of rotating the pipe upwards after loosening the clamps! thank you
Old 04-29-2019, 12:28 AM
nstymatt
Instructor

your tips have helped and it was a simple case of rotating the pipe upwards after loosening the clamps! thank you
cool glad it worked out!
Old 04-30-2019, 12:18 AM
drumzz
AutoX

another question if I may - where can I buy this floor pan/engine protector guard as you have in this picture? looks like a good idea..
Old 04-30-2019, 03:25 AM
nstymatt
Instructor

another question if I may - where can I buy this floor pan/engine protector guard as you have in this picture? looks like a good idea..
Oh that photo is a 991 GT3, the 997s don't have the undertray panels There seems to be many more 991 exhaust photos than 997 on the internet, so had to use a 991 photo

Quick Reply: 997.2 RS Bypass Exhaust Height (FVD)