Car wouldn't take gas after autocross event

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2019, 02:12 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 184 Posts
Default Car wouldn't take gas after autocross event

I took my .2 GT3 to it's first autocross event of my ownership this weekend, and have a small list of things that I need to check out for post event inspection. It was a test and tune event, so between me and my codriver I think we put about 40 runs on the car. I started with just over 3/4 tank of gas and finished with just under a half tank. I stopped at a gas station after the event to top up for my drive home and the car wouldn't take fuel. It was not the situation where the pump is being fussy and you need to hold it at 9:00 or 12:00, which my air cooled hot rod does all the time. The tank was 100% closed off. I pulled the lever once, and the pump immediately kicked off, but fuel also slowly started gurgling out of the filler neck and onto the ground. no amount of fiddling with the pump nozzle would make the existing overflowed fuel start to move into the tank. Eventually I put the pump handle into the filler neck with a little more "authority" and everything worked exactly as it should. I tried again when I got back to Columbus and had no problems. In the 997 GT3 area I see people commenting about a vent valve that can go bad, but the older cars mention a slosh out valve that can become fouled by hoses inside the tank slipping. I'm skeptical about the way that the car fixed itself, and I'm nervous that I'll have this trouble after every event. Any thoughts? It's getting ready for new tires so I can pull the liner and filler neck if I need to but I want to have some expectation of what I'm looking for before I go in there.
Old 04-08-2019, 07:18 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts

Is the spring loaded flap locked shut? Maybe something came loose in the spring mech to lock it up.
Old 04-09-2019, 10:26 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by Hella-Buggin'
Is the spring loaded flap locked shut? Maybe something came loose in the spring mech to lock it up.
There was nothing visually out of the ordinary. The pump nozzle inserted past the first spring loaded flap like usual.

Quick Reply: Car wouldn't take gas after autocross event