Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

higher mile GT3RS...thoughts?

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 03:58 PM
HpIzKing
Rennlist Member

Received 110 Likes on 60 Posts
Default higher mile GT3RS...thoughts?

Does anyone on here have experience with a 40k+ mile 997.2 GT3RS? Is this a no go based on mileage alone? Looking at one for purchase..have looked at the overrevs and it is very very clean. PCCBs are in great shape (no lipping, absolutely no discolorations, chips, defects of any kind). Interior and paint solid. Really great condition notwithstanding the miles..presents as a much lower mile car. History is dealer got it on trade from someone who bought a GT2RS. It had one other owner but it appears it was driven about 3500-4000 miles per year. It is a northern car though so I am waiting on a look at the underside. Thoughts? The price is $140K.
Old 03-23-2019, 04:20 PM
fast1
Race Car

Received 220 Likes on 146 Posts

Personally the higher mileage wouldn't deter me at all. Actually I'm not a fan of very low mileage cars, which may suggest a purely track car. Based on your description, it sounds like a great car. Make an offer which you are comfortable with, and I expect you'll be the owner of a GT3RS.
When I see an ad for very low mileage cars, it reminds of an ad I saw posted in Autoweek by an honest owner many decades ago. The ad was for a 427ci, 500 HP Corvette with only 1500 miles, driven only on Sundays, a 1/4 mile at a time.
Old 03-23-2019, 07:02 PM
Turbo Racer
Rennlist Member

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

^ agree with this. That said, I would want to know if there was a lot of track usage because you can get into a lot of $$$ in repairs from consumable items. It’d be great if cpo. Good luck!
Old 03-23-2019, 09:51 PM
HarmonyJim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 45 Posts

I have a non-tracked 997.1 RS Pumpkin approaching 40K miles. As far as my specific car is concerned, it is in excellent shape top to bottom. It has been stone-ax reliable, and been very reasonable to maintain. If maintained properly, and if not tracked, the car should have many more miles ahead of it. Of course, with all these expensive purchases, have a proper PPI by a reputable shop or dealer. If you haven't driven a GT3RS, you are in for a treat. Six-plus years on, and mine still puts a grin on my face every single time I drive it. Enjoy.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:00 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,438 Likes on 776 Posts

I prefer high mileage cars knowing they typically havent sat around. As always make sure maintenance records.
Old 03-23-2019, 10:31 PM
HpIzKing
Rennlist Member

Default Rev report

The report would suggest a fairly benign history...70 in range 1, 3 in range 2, and they were at least 25k miles ago by hours. Zip in 3-6 of course. I had a local friend go look at the wheel wells and on the area under/beside the rears and there was no unusual paint or plastic damage of any kind as I have seen on tracked cars. The front paint is OEM thickness consistent with the rest of the car. Never been sprayed or had any bodywork of any kind. I was almost hoping to find something to get me off this high mile version and at this point it is more mental for me than anything. I am still hoping to get them down somewhat to "bake in" as much of the depreciation hit up front although even that is becoming secondary as I would consider this a forever car. I am not going to put more than 2k miles a year on it..that is just how it is for me right now as to time, etc. I have an 11k mile 997.2 TT that mostly slumbers these days and think this car would make a fine stablemate from that era. I really appreciate the insight of this forum..always so good. I will try on the CPO as it is a P car dealer and will probably try to get them to move somewhat as I think it is still priced high with these miles. As to a PPI, I do plan to do so as a last step and would use another Porsche dealer in the area as there are a couple near by.
Old 03-24-2019, 12:47 PM
HarmonyJim
Rennlist Member

The shop doing your PPI (if reputable) will doubtlessly be able to determine if the car was tracked. Once up on a lift, the little rubber tire 'buggers' will be evident everywhere. If any off-track excursions happened, the scratches and gouges will also be apparent on the undertray, etc. Sounds like you have found a nice car, and the over revs wouldn't personally steer me away as they appear insignificant (although we all like a virgin readout of all zeros). Enjoy.
Old 03-24-2019, 02:36 PM
HpIzKing
Rennlist Member

Default no underside evidence of track use

Although I am working at a distance, I had a boots on the ground friend go peek at the car. He is not a "car guy" but was able to discern with my direction that there was no indicia of track use in the wheel wells or underside of the rear quarter. He thought the car looked very clean as I had thought from the pictures. He did note that the front spoiler lip was bad, which the dealer had offered up to me before I asked. Another dealer in the area actually serviced this car throughout its life so I want to use them for the PPI if they are willing...I am calling the service manager tomorrow to see if he will indulge that and share with me what records they have on the car there. The selling dealer has been helpful to a point, but not overly proactive about getting records so I will do my own due diligence and see what happens. I am wondering how frequently the brake fluid was changed and whether the clutch has had attention. Can someone tell me what a clutch runs on these if that becomes an issue? Thanks for all the guidance. Much appreciated.
Old 03-24-2019, 05:05 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,438 Likes on 776 Posts

Just hit 38k today with plenty of track time, runs like a top!
Old 03-24-2019, 06:48 PM
993Brendan
Drifting

Received 54 Likes on 18 Posts

Have 29k on my 2007 RS and can't wait to add more. Car runs like a top and has been easy to maintain. I wouldn't be deterred by a higher miles car at all- you'll get in for a better price and won't think twice about driving it.

Best thing that every happened to my 993 was turning 100k miles. Suddenly I didn't care anymore...just turned over 123k!
Old 03-25-2019, 01:06 AM
HpIzKing
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 993Brendan
Have 29k on my 2007 RS and can't wait to add more. Car runs like a top and has been easy to maintain. I wouldn't be deterred by a higher miles car at all- you'll get in for a better price and won't think twice about driving it.

Best thing that every happened to my 993 was turning 100k miles. Suddenly I didn't care anymore...just turned over 123k!

Just hit 38k today with plenty of track time, runs like a top!

Thanks Gents...that is awesome...I need to get my Turbo out and enjoy the darn thing. It has all of 11k miles in 9 years. Great to hear these stories. Makes the miles on the RS I am looking out seem a lot less important to me versus the condition and previous care, etc.
Old 03-25-2019, 01:53 AM
usctrojanGT3
Rennlist Member

Received 3,792 Likes on 2,160 Posts

Sounds like you got a good car, buy it and enjoy it.
Old 03-25-2019, 12:48 PM
HarmonyJim
Rennlist Member

The clutch kit available through Suncoast and others runs about $1000 for a pressure plate, friction disc, throwout and pilot bearings (RS are $100 additional). Be aware that 3.8 RSs had an issue with their oem pressure plates - something to do with the rivets failing - make sure your tech gives them a good inspection. If there is any issue, you will need the upgraded '4.0' unit. If you change out your oem flywheel for a lighter 4.0 flywheel (add at least another thousand), you best replace the pulley on the other end, or you will likely regret it (3.8s also had an issue with the intake cam actuator, and the bolts holding the unit together have been known to back out). Obviously, change out your RMS while in there (about a hundred dollars for a turbo seal). Good luck.
Old 03-25-2019, 07:06 PM
HpIzKing
Rennlist Member

Thanks HarmonyJim, much appreciated as I don't have the forum knowledge/history with the RS issues, etc. as I do my turbo. Always nice to have so many smart and helpful folks in one place. Waiting on a copy of the service records and a commitment to allow the PPI...
Old 03-26-2019, 12:09 AM
skafia
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 288 Posts

I’m new to the Porsche world it’s shocking to me that 40k miles is considered high!

Quick Reply: higher mile GT3RS...thoughts?