Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

What would you guys pay for a higher mileage 997 GT2?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 02:00 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 594 Likes on 306 Posts

Bizarre update...three of my friends owned the SAME white 08 GT2 currently at Chicago Motor Cars. I started asking them questions and it quickly became apparent they had all owned the exact same car.

Boy it's a small world in the GT2 community. LOL.
Old 03-14-2019, 02:27 PM
jgorscak
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

Great thread.

For what its worth, I sold my Speed Yellow 997 GT2RS about 3 years ago for $210k. Had 6500 miles with pretty clean DME but with some very light paintwork on right rear quarter from road debris. It ended up being traded into a dealership shortly thereafter (not sure of the specifics there) but sat for about a year. It then went off the market only to show up at a different dealership about 2 months later. Was for sale again for a couple months and now is gone again. Not sure what happened to it but just thought I'd share.

BTW I definitely miss it!! Great car, go for it!
Old 03-14-2019, 06:11 PM
CT944
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz

I wish I had bought that white 6GT2 at Sloan but the seller had recently PO’d a good friend of mine on a 930.
Yes, what a car. When I went there to see it, it had subtle damage to each of the rear quarters, apparently from moving around in a shipping container from Puerto Rico to the US. I was really disappointed as it would have needed a serious dent wizard or likely a repair/repaint. $80k for 1,600 mile GT2, will haunt me forever!
Old 03-14-2019, 06:18 PM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

That white 996 at Sloan was my dream car. I strongly preferred my 996 GT2s. Good to hear it had issues. After Sloan it wound up in a car storage facility in New Jersey with lots of heavy iron. As of about 10-12 months ago the seller was asking $165K. There's another white 996 GT2 just a few blocks from my pad. But it's highly modified with a lot of miles. I still want it but the owner is in no hurry to sell. JBO
Old 03-15-2019, 10:07 AM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

I think my spelunking efforts are working against me as the GT2 in question has 2 new interested buyers. I'm still a player for it, but not all of my funds are liquid as of yet so I'm also a bit of a sitting duck. The seller is communicating well, and I'm still moving forward. Only time and fate will tell!
Old 03-18-2019, 09:55 AM
RennOracle
Pro

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve Theodore
One thing that I'm still trying to wrap my head around is the overall limited demand for this very rare and special 911 variant. It actually feels like the 996 GT2 model has slightly higher overall demand than the 997 GT2, which really is a big head scratcher to me. Not to say that I don't love 996 generation cars, but nearly all of us can agree that the 997 brought welcome refinement and generally better exterior styling, to say nothing of the interior transformation. As I currently own both generations, it's easy for me to see this every day.

The pricing spread on both 996 and 997 GT2s is beyond belief. I see 996 GT2 asking prices from $105k to $240k. The 997 GT2 seems a bit more narrow, with the car I'm considering defining the bottom at $139k and the top obviously going past $240k for the lowest mileage and rarest colors. But these cars just SIT on the market forever, at every single price point. It feels almost like a conspiracy theory against this model, as if Porsche really didn't deliver what people expected, and then suddenly got it right with the later 997.2 GT2 RS (no mystery whatsoever that those 600 cars are priced into the stratosphere).

I really believe that the 997 GT2 (and 996 GT2) may be the most under-valued models of recent times, but I still cannot for the life of me figure out if my $140k (ish) budget is going to get me into one of these cars. Some are giving me hope that it could, and this is a dream that I didn't expect to be able to attain. So, I'm continuing to read up and I've already started to get my finances in order to pull this off. But it just seems ludicrous for me to believe that if a dealer is asking $175k that I could offer $140k with a straight face and be treated seriously?
996 gt2 price range is easily explained, somewhat at least. 996 gt2 has mk1 and mk2. Mk2 are usually the +180k range. Then you add colors. White, lapis or midnight blue all carry a premium. Then you add mileage aka likelly to have crashed. These are the logic factors.
Then you have the demographics factor. 996 gt2 is approaching the 20 year mark, is rare, is mad, it has a 'good' reputation, it's something that it won't ever happen again in any brand. It's a car for a multiple car garage, to givr you thrills, traumatize you and be driven again only when you forgot the fear it caused you.
The 997 gt2 as unfair as it is, has much more market paralels, hell a 991 T with tune and IC does 600 hp. Every car now does 600 hp and is refined and nice. People just forget how good the 997 gt2 is and much better can it be, but usually the 997 gt2 to many makes more sense as a 1 sports/supercar garage, because it does everything well, from a city stroll to a 8 day nurburgring calvacade to vmax from time to time.
Thing is, it's not the most brilliant at anything but it's an awesome car in everything it does and the more you drive it, the better you like it, it's the type of car that you need to put miles to gel with it.

All of this to say that common pushy scammy dealers have a problem selling these. Plenty of cars with more power, first drive usually isn't that awesome to fall in love, doesn't really have a place in collections or is close to the years for pre classic, neither is new enough or understood enough for a 1 supercar garage.
Most of the costumers are ex-gt2 owners that know what's up and miss it, some 911 turbo owners that want a bit more (usually the ones with big power builds that are a bit done with power), people that always like them over a gt3 rs, or just people taking advantage of thr bargain they are now.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:40 PM
Nick Wong
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by RennOracle
996 gt2 price range is easily explained, somewhat at least. 996 gt2 has mk1 and mk2. Mk2 are usually the +180k range. Then you add colors. White, lapis or midnight blue all carry a premium. Then you add mileage aka likelly to have crashed. These are the logic factors.
Then you have the demographics factor. 996 gt2 is approaching the 20 year mark, is rare, is mad, it has a 'good' reputation, it's something that it won't ever happen again in any brand. It's a car for a multiple car garage, to givr you thrills, traumatize you and be driven again only when you forgot the fear it caused you.
The 997 gt2 as unfair as it is, has much more market paralels, hell a 991 T with tune and IC does 600 hp. Every car now does 600 hp and is refined and nice. People just forget how good the 997 gt2 is and much better can it be, but usually the 997 gt2 to many makes more sense as a 1 sports/supercar garage, because it does everything well, from a city stroll to a 8 day nurburgring calvacade to vmax from time to time.
Thing is, it's not the most brilliant at anything but it's an awesome car in everything it does and the more you drive it, the better you like it, it's the type of car that you need to put miles to gel with it.

All of this to say that common pushy scammy dealers have a problem selling these. Plenty of cars with more power, first drive usually isn't that awesome to fall in love, doesn't really have a place in collections or is close to the years for pre classic, neither is new enough or understood enough for a 1 supercar garage.
Most of the costumers are ex-gt2 owners that know what's up and miss it, some 911 turbo owners that want a bit more (usually the ones with big power builds that are a bit done with power), people that always like them over a gt3 rs, or just people taking advantage of thr bargain they are now.
Good points.

Also, there aren’t that many nice examples at reasonable prices available- they are either bubblewrapped at insane $200+k asking prices, or $170-190k somewhat questionable with multiple owners and a rougher look. If you compare to 996, the delta between them on AT is about $40-50k for similar level of car.

There just isn’t a good sample size for pricing for reasonable driver cars.
Old 03-18-2019, 06:49 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Thanks guys. I would agree that the data for 'driver 997 GT2s' appears to be lacking, but if anything this car I'm looking to buy will help to define it from an early 2019 point of view at least.

I'm still a player on the car and looking to strengthen my position tonight. I've been accumulating my funds to buy the car (from 3 sources) and am 2/3 complete, so feel like I can take a stronger stand in putting a deposit on the car, etc. I'll obviously keep you posted and am definitely hopeful to add this car to my long term collection.
Old 03-20-2019, 12:25 AM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

I'm very close guys...looking to get the deal done very soon. Thanks to all who have contributed, and particularly the private messages which gave me a lot more confidence for my negotiations. Although some of you would likely argue that I'm paying a bit too much for this particular car, something about it pulled me in and I'm happy to have a chance to own it. I'll be back with pictures and stories soon I am sure of a new Porsche adventure.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:18 PM
CT944
Drifting

Great news, can’t wait to see pics and hear about first drive experience.
Old 03-20-2019, 09:33 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

One thing I find pretty humorous about this particular car is that depending on who I'm talking to I'm either over-paying wildly or getting the deal of a lifetime. I prefer to think it's the right deal on the right car at the right time for me, and that's all that matters.

Believe me, I cannot wait to share my impressions too, as I've never driven any GT2's. So it was the same when I bought my GT3 RS...so I'm very excited for the opportunity.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:21 PM
CT944
Drifting

If you got 5-10% off the ask, you are doing really well I’d say.
Old 03-20-2019, 10:38 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by CT944
If you got 5-10% off the ask, you are doing really well I’d say.
Yes sir, right around the middle of that range, meaning about 7% off the asking price. The seller has also helped me to source a set of GT2 carbon sport buckets at a reasonable price, which of course I did not expect. They are actually located within driving distance of me from a friend of his, but a deal I'm going to follow up on. I can deal with the lack of PCCBs for the short term, but I really want the sport buckets to make my driving experience so much better. I so love them in my GT3 RS!

This is not a perfect car, but that's not the point as I'm going to drive it as I do all my cars. I just really wanted to get a 997 GT2 for my long term driving pleasure, and the mileage doesn't scare me at all. The first thing I'm going to do with the car is drive it home from New York! Road trip in a GT2! That's my kind of life, and the kinds of things I enjoy doing. I suspect most GT2 owners won't be doing these things, but I bet many of them wish they could as a guilty pleasure. When I bought my GT3 RS, I drove it up the coast from San Francisco to Seattle and the memories are so epic! I'm going to do the same thing with this car, and love every mile with the biggest smile on my face.
Old 03-21-2019, 12:46 AM
ScottArizona
Rennlist Member

Received 706 Likes on 352 Posts

Love this. Please share your impressions!!!!! Would love to own a gt2 one day!
Old 03-21-2019, 09:02 AM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

So is this car registered in Canada?

Quick Reply: What would you guys pay for a higher mileage 997 GT2?