Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Opinion needed: Thinking of buying this gt3

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2019, 03:17 PM
j4kethedog
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Opinion needed: Thinking of buying this gt3

I found a car I may finally pull the trigger on. The price is right... well under market value for these. I am not a garage queen collector, nor a racer, but want one of these for spirited weekend driving and may casually race it some day. The car in question has VERY low miles, but lots of suspension mods (no original parts included), and recently even got a new engine! Your quintissential track "beater" (though cosmetically it looks very nice.) Assuming the car runs great and is in good cosmetic condition, will these aspects kill its value? I know Porsche buyers can go to big extremes to make sure they aren't buying anything but an all original, unmolested car, etc. The dealer is also offering it with a warranty...

What do you guys think? I'm not super rich, and one of the big draws to these gt3s is that I can enjoy my favorite sports car and not worry (as much) about the deprecideprecian. My last one was a c7 z06 and even with insane discounts, I lost about 30% on it. I know that cars are NOT investments, I understand that... but is this gt3 basically worthless with the new engine and sketchy history? Or is it quite the opposite?

Thanks!
Old 03-08-2019, 03:33 PM
-eztrader-
Rennlist Member

Received 251 Likes on 136 Posts

May be tougher to re sell down the road. If not losing money is the goal - keep searching.

Just my opinion
Old 03-08-2019, 03:48 PM
j4kethedog
AutoX

Thank you, much appreciated. Anyone else? Curious to hear both sides. Or if this is pretty cut and dry I will indeed walk.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:59 PM
motopt22
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by j4kethedog
Thank you, much appreciated. Anyone else? Curious to hear both sides. Or if this is pretty cut and dry I will indeed walk.
That car recently got a large price drop ( Texas car right?) - I believe there is another post on that car here, but I wasn't able to find it because I am old and not rennlist savvy! Good luck.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:01 PM
noro78
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Without any specifics mentioned. you getting in at a discount so you will get out of it at a discount too. In terms of % I would imagine you will gain or loose the same as other GT3s.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:02 PM
GM.RS
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 112 Posts

It sounds to me like you found a good deal on a car you want, and all of the stuff you mentioned won't get in the way of your enjoyment of it.

As for resale...
  • What is the story on the engine? How long ago?
  • What does the warranty cover? How long? Is it transferable? Who is it through?
  • What do you think it would cost to "return to stock" on the suspension? Is it a reputable brand?
Old 03-08-2019, 04:05 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

It appears that this the car you are considering:

https://www.momentumporsche.com/used...gurus_listings

Check page 138 and beyond on "The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale" thread at the top of the page for additional discussion if so.

Caveat Emptor.....
Old 03-08-2019, 04:05 PM
j4kethedog
AutoX

Yes. Was not trying to discuss that aspect (lol) because the last time I hesitated on one of these it sold while I was securing my financing! Literally minutes off. The car is hugely discounted, but as eztrader pointed out, I feel like it would be difficult to get a private party sale down the road. The suspension is all tricked out (guy was even running oversized hoosiers on it) and, well, he blew the motor.... but 12,000 miles and that price... new motor, warranty even. Seems like it's still a bit of a deal. So I yield to the sage advice of the rennlist guys. I follow this forum regularly but do not post much. You all are great. Thanks again for any opinions you may add.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:19 PM
j4kethedog
AutoX

Originally Posted by jackb911

Check page 138 and beyond on "The 997 GT3/RS Cars For Sale" thread at the top of the page for additional discussion if so.

Caveat Emptor.....
WOW you nailed it! I checked page 138, and there it is. Doug seems like he really knows his ****, and said the car is probably worth 80ish...

So the real question is: If I bought it for 80 (9 below asking,) would there ever be another person who is willing to pay similar money for this car? Seems like it might be smarter to just pay 100ish for a really clean one, but I am really a noob here...

Crate engine = not Porsche, right? So does that = not Mezger? Not as good in any way? The term "Crate engine" is pretty vague, especially when dealing with one as legendary as this.
Old 03-08-2019, 04:23 PM
KenyonM
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This car dropped $10k from last week.
Google the vin. It was for sale at another dealership for $120k on Sept 2018 with the same miles so it hasn’t been driven.
i don’t know but something is off about this car.
http://www.autoquid.com/car-detail/9...901063776.html

$30k price drop in 6 months on an undriven car seems suspect.
if you have $90k to spend you’re better off getting a clean 997.1 GT3.
Old 03-08-2019, 05:09 PM
Fisher
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts

PCCB replacement needs to be considered with a tracked vehicle.
If you're lucky, the previous owner used after market or steel brakes on the track.
New pads can obscure damage to the rotors.
$4K at each corner is a big price for rotors. Fried caliper pistons require a lot of labor to fix.
Old 03-08-2019, 08:34 PM
limitedslip
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by grizfish
PCCB replacement needs to be considered with a tracked vehicle.
If you're lucky, the previous owner used after market or steel brakes on the track.
New pads can obscure damage to the rotors.
$4K at each corner is a big price for rotors. Fried caliper pistons require a lot of labor to fix.
This car doesn't have PCCB. It's an original steel brakes car that for some reason has yellow calipers.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:26 PM
j4kethedog
AutoX

Thank you everyone for the input. I think I'm going to pass. Back to the waiting game!
Old 03-08-2019, 11:31 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by jackb911

Caveat Emptor.....
FYI - you can change the number of posts per page so page 138 doesn’t mean anything.

OP - the car will always be worth less than the average market. A lower entry point may result in slightly less loss (30% isn’t unreasonable). Are you near the car? Get a thorough ppi. If it checks out, drive it and don’t worry about value.
Old 03-08-2019, 11:36 PM
j4kethedog
AutoX

I agree that the lower entry point will cause the value to be a wash, but I think what really scares me is the term "crate engine." If the engine in that car was not built by Porsche then I don't think I'd want anything to do with it for over 50k. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Quick Reply: Opinion needed: Thinking of buying this gt3