Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Opinion needed: Thinking of buying this gt3

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2019, 01:01 AM
DJN
Burning Brakes

Received 55 Likes on 33 Posts

I collected all of the info on this car from both Annex and Momentum in Houston.

- it has been modded and a track car from day 1 (late 2009 delivery)
- 2 owners, both tracked
- car never speced with PCCB....it has Yellow replacement calipers
- 2 owner had a range 5 overrev and blew the original engine
- ECU has been wiped by somebody - I have the receipt!
- new crate engine was installed by an independent (currently "I" range 1 overrev)

My interpretation is the shifty 2nd owner "sold a street car" to the dealer, and the dealer did not vet it properly. The dealer is now stuck with it and not representing the car honestly either. Note that with the aftermarket suspension and exhaust (and notwithstanding the independently replaced engine), this car can't be CPO'd ever! How they can get away with this touting as a CPO car on the Porsche USA website is disgusting!

That being said, this could be a good car for someone tracking, but at a very good price.....my thought is $80-82K for a highly diminished value car (heavy duty track car and car with non original engine).
I was looking for a track car, but I passed on this one.
PM me if you have any more questions.

Cheers
Doug N
Old 03-09-2019, 08:28 AM
CT944
Drifting

Received 157 Likes on 110 Posts

I think the price is right. I'd jump on it, particularly if your goal below hasn't changed.

Originally Posted by j4kethedog
I am not a garage queen collector, nor a racer, but want one of these for spirited weekend driving and may casually race it some day.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:28 AM
spiller
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 331 Likes on 202 Posts

Buy for less, sell for less. If you are considering it, I’m sure in a country of over 300 million people, there will be at least one other person who would be interested in the car when it comes time for you to on sell. If the engine had been replaced with a new Porsche motor, I don’t get the big deal. You’re essentially getting a 30% discount due to non matching numbers.

PPI and buy if you like the results.
Old 03-09-2019, 09:39 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 777 Posts

Originally Posted by spiller
Buy for less, sell for less. If you are considering it, I’m sure in a country of over 300 million people, there will be at least one other person who would be interested in the car when it comes time for you to on sell. If the engine had been replaced with a new Porsche motor, I don’t get the big deal. You’re essentially getting a 30% discount due to non matching numbers.

PPI and buy if you like the results.
+1
Old 03-09-2019, 12:18 PM
BryanCO
Drifting

Received 208 Likes on 148 Posts

I agree that the lower entry point will cause the value to be a wash, but I think what really scares me is the term "crate engine." If the engine in that car was not built by Porsche then I don't think I'd want anything to do with it for over 50k. Correct me if I'm wrong.
Crate engine/replacement engine. It’s not like they put a Chevy V8 in there. But, of course, confirming that it’s a correct engine for the car, the source and status of the engine is critical. If this cannot be confirmed, walk.
Old 03-10-2019, 06:07 PM
LAGt3
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Where are prices currently? 997.1 Gt3 range around $90k - $105k and 997.2 Gt3 range $100k - $115k? Something is off with this listing. I would assume after all this time, a few prospective buyers have looked at the car, maybe inspected it, and decided it was not worth it.
It seems like you are getting a $10k-$20k discount over a clean version, but this has a crate engine and a lot of mods.
If the suspension parts are high quality and the install was done by a reputable shop, then I would be fine with that.
The engine is more concerning. Where did it come from, how many miles on this engine, is it under warranty, who did the install, etc.? Just curious, if you source a used engine and drop it in this car, does the over-rev report show what happened to the original engine? I assume you are now mating the original ECU and the sourced used engine. If that is true, then this car will always show the original over rev, which will make it difficult to resale.
I would want a lot of questions answered. It may be safer to get a clean .1 or spend another $10k and get a .2.
I once blew an E63 AMG engine. Rebuilding was going to cost $20k - $30k depending on a few options. We ended up sourcing a used engine for $12k and it was warrantied for 2 years. I sold the car before the 2 years expired, but never had any issues.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:24 PM
TB-GT3
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I actually went and checked the car in person last Saturday. The car was already sold and someone had already put a deposit. The sales person did not disclose anything about the engine but he mentioned that the car was heavily tracked. The owner traded it in to get a new GT3RS according to him. The dealership appeared to want to get rid of the car. They've listed it as CPO; however, when i mentioned it to him he told me that this would be an additional $3k(!!)because according to him, the dealership has to make some money on this car. Overall the car appeared to be in good condition, cosmetically speaking, with protective film in the front and the mirrors and a built-in radar detector. Didn't notice any blemishes in my quick look around.
Old 03-11-2019, 04:41 PM
j4kethedog
AutoX

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thanks everyone again for the replies. Overall I am glad I passed on this car. Not only am I looking for something a little cleaner, but I would not do business with this dealership. The guy I dealt with was incredibly sketchy and rude. He kept saying "I'm not gonna have my mechanics put this thing on a lift and break into the engine" when I asked for the overrev report. When I repeatedly explained that the DME was simply an ecu scan, he would do the auctioneer-double talk and "fiftewegabemuhafawagonna I'm really busy OKAY." Funny too about CPO being 3k extra because I'm pretty sure he told me and a few other guys "LOOK THIS THING IS CPO'D OKAY OKAY." xD I do get that they probably got burnt a bit on it, but the classy thing would have been to take responsibility... Anyway, thanks again for all the responses! I will let you guys know some day when I finally own one of these amazing cars!
Old 03-22-2019, 04:09 AM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

Run, don't walk. A cheap GT3 will turn into an expensive GT3 in a hurry. Ask me how I know.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:12 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 52 Posts

For just a bit more $ I think a clean no stories .1 would be a better buy than this car with all the question marks surrounding it.
Old 03-24-2019, 08:26 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

If people only knew how many cars were run with two ecus (one for track) or had over revs wiped

id say 1/2 the cars I used to see at the track had two ecu

don’t believe what u buy....buy the seller

mine has 27,000 miles with a few range 4 overrevs, no big deal
Old 03-24-2019, 10:23 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,439 Likes on 777 Posts

Originally Posted by Izzone
If people only knew how many cars were run with two ecus (one for track) or had over revs wiped

id say 1/2 the cars I used to see at the track had two ecu

don’t believe what u buy....buy the seller

mine has 27,000 miles with a few range 4 overrevs, no big deal
Well said. I would be afraid of a car that had hardly any over revs.
Old 03-26-2019, 10:33 AM
switchcars
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 468 Likes on 189 Posts

Thank you everyone for the input. I think I'm going to pass. Back to the waiting game!
Always remember: You can't pay too much for the right car, or too little for the wrong car.

Old 03-26-2019, 03:08 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by switchcars
Always remember: You can't pay too much for the right car, or too little for the wrong car.
Because it bears repeating. When I was looking for a 7.2 gt3 I was initially after a higher mileage rougher example as I like to drive my cars, but once you look at the small delta in price and likely large delta in headaches, the slightly more expensive cars always win out. Same goes for using someone like Doug if you need a hand or advice.
Old 04-01-2019, 06:24 PM
lawrence1
Rennlist Member

Received 353 Likes on 203 Posts

vin # for WP0AC2A96AS783268 for anyone searching via google

Quick Reply: Opinion needed: Thinking of buying this gt3