Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Would 3K mile 997 GT2, need Full (Major) Service now?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2019, 05:16 AM
ELPORSCHA
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would 3K mile 997 GT2, need Full (Major) Service now?

2009 GT2, with 120 miles when purchased from dealer in 2013.

Inspection of all parts, engine oil/filter change, was carried out at the time.

Car rarely driven, stored indoors. Weekly engine start/warming. Monthly 15 minute short drive.

Current mileage 3000,

Friend recommended, that I should, at least, do an oil/filter change, as its been 6 years since last service.

Called the dealer (unrelated to the one purchased car from). Said, he'd be happy carry-out all the necessary service, yet (him, not seeing the car), highly recommend doing Full Service.

Car is pampered, never raced or hard driven, garaged stored, all engine compartment components, from visual inspection, seem as new as when it came out of factory. Also engine oil color is still gold, as oil been added to reservoir from time to time. Power performance, 10 out of 10. All working fine. Why would one change anything, if car has no complaints?

Recall 2 incidents involving Porsche cars, with similar situation/condition. Collectors like. Developed issues with brakes, hydraulic oil gauge, engine sound, etc. Can't recall specifics, but can ask the guys who owned them 2 cars. They regret changing seals, spark plugs, etc etc. When before the major service their cars were perfect, in every respect!

Thoughts, suggestions, recommendations!
Thanks guys, in advance.
Old 02-11-2019, 10:22 AM
RAPID
Racer

I would advise an oil and brake fluid change. These are degradable...Perhaps an overall check....
Old 02-11-2019, 10:57 AM
ugotgrossed
Banned

Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts

^ agreed
Old 02-11-2019, 11:46 PM
roketman
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 93 Posts

I would do Fluids.And have it looked over.Its worse to let a car just sit.A driven car is less problematic
Old 02-12-2019, 11:49 PM
sober_owl
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

brake fluid flush every 2 years.. brakefluid absorbs moisture..

engine oil degrades with time as much as miles

rubber in tires gets hard and brittle.. not what you want on a gt2
Old 02-13-2019, 01:33 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 995 Likes on 528 Posts

If it were me, I would drain and replace anything that was a fluid.

This is more important for engine oils, which get contaminated by combustion by-products. They may look good, but become acidic, which is why you should change them at least yearly, regardless of miles driven (filters may be a different story).

Tire compounds degenerate over time, so I would not bet my life on 10-year old rubber.

Seals and gaskets will dry out, increasing the possibility of oil leaks.

What the full service consists of, I don't know, but it may not address all the issues that time (entropy) has on our cars. You may need to do more or less than a full service.

Lastly, why have you been adding oil to the reservoir? Oil doesn't evaporate in an engine, so if you haven't overfilled it by now, it must be going somewhere.
Old 02-13-2019, 09:11 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

Marv said what I wanted to say except I am too lazy to type.

That car is worth $300k right now, why wouldn’t you do a full fluid service including filters? Not access to a good tech?
FWIW: I have been known to hord cars, and I just full serviced a1,450 mile ‘11 GT2RS. Every car gets full fluid service every 2 years and engine oil and filter every year.
Old 02-14-2019, 02:23 AM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Igooz
Marv said what I wanted to say except I am too lazy to type.

That car is worth $300k right now, why wouldn’t you do a full fluid service including filters? Not access to a good tech?
FWIW: I have been known to hord cars, and I just full serviced a1,450 mile ‘11 GT2RS. Every car gets full fluid service every 2 years and engine oil and filter every year.
I run the same routine on my 996rs and 997rs4.0 even if they some years don’t get driven a whole lot. Full service every two years and if they get driven a bit more I have my dealer do it every year.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:38 AM
ELPORSCHA
Racer

Guys thanks for input. Appreciate all the comments/advice.

> Rapid/Roketman/Sober. Oil/brake fluid change. All fluids! Overall check! Will do.

> Marv. All noted. As to why been adding oil. Well, when you keep running engine, even if just idle, combined with light driving, oil level does decrease over time (didn't add much over the years!) - as measured by Operating Lever, "On-board Computer Display".

> Igooz. Will service All Fluids. No problem.

I'll schedule it for service. Will probably inform dealer to avoid change of seals, spark plugs, or other core stuff, if possible. I think, changing factory installed critical parts, like seals, spark plugs, when a unit, a vehicle, rarely used, uncalled for. May lead to issues, when there are none, whatsoever, with condition/performance, to start with!
Old 02-14-2019, 12:00 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 995 Likes on 528 Posts

Originally Posted by ELPORSCHA
Guys thanks for input. Appreciate all the comments/advice.

> Rapid/Roketman/Sober. Oil/brake fluid change. All fluids! Overall check! Will do.

> Marv. All noted. As to why been adding oil. Well, when you keep running engine, even if just idle, combined with light driving, oil level does decrease over time (didn't add much over the years!) - as measured by Operating Lever, "On-board Computer Display".

> Igooz. Will service All Fluids. No problem.

I'll schedule it for service. Will probably inform dealer to avoid change of seals, spark plugs, or other core stuff, if possible. I think, changing factory installed critical parts, like seals, spark plugs, when a unit, a vehicle, rarely used, uncalled for. May lead to issues, when there are none, whatsoever, with condition/performance, to start with!
I don't know about others, but my normally aspirated Mezger engine never uses oil between changes (every 5,000 miles) and I have 134,000+ miles on that engine.

My point is that you may have a small leak that just hasn't reached the floor and is worth taking a look to make sure everything is dry.

Quick Reply: Would 3K mile 997 GT2, need Full (Major) Service now?