Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

New to 997 GT3. Any PPI/Pre-purchase homework one should do?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 09:40 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts
Default New to 997 GT3. Any PPI/Pre-purchase homework one should do?

Hi Guys,

Planning to buy a 997 GT3 RS.

I know there are few on the dealer lot but I am not knowledgable enough to buy a car on spot or to know if a car is overpriced/underpriced.

Do you guys have any recommended PPI inspector? Or is DMI report with CPO suffice?

Also, what's the going value for 10000~20000 mile 997.2 gt3 rs in these days? (Of course non-PTS car)? I know exotic car market has softened a little but would like to know if it holds the same for 997 RS's.

Thank you in advance
Old 01-23-2019, 10:01 PM
Md88guy
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gt3 RS

Good luck. Great car.
When I was soft shopping, I saw 189 to 200 for 10Kish miles. For 20K miles, I wouldn't pay over 170K. That's me.
Pinned coolant lines is a nice plus. It's an engine out job, and you will want them pinned.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:03 AM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 384 Posts

You should plan to spend $170-190k for a 10-20k mile car. I would definitely do a PPI and would recommend budgeting to do pinned coolant lines if not done. I would also consider a SMFW and guards LSD if you are planning to track it. I just went though all of this a few months ago. Bought mine about 6 months ago.
Old 01-24-2019, 12:45 AM
smq42
Racer

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Pinned vs welded coolant lines

Look up threads about welding coolant pipes vs pinning them. . . Lots of controversy and debate but my general take-away was that welding is generally more long-term “permanent” solution.

Old 01-24-2019, 06:05 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by smq42
Look up threads about welding coolant pipes vs pinning them. . . Lots of controversy and debate but my general take-away was that welding is generally more long-term “permanent” solution.

I believe pinned can still fail, just not catastrophically. And possible to do with engine in car. Welding is permanent and needs a dropped engine.
One solution video example.

good discussion https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...ant-lines.html
good luck in your search, op. i'm still hunting myself.. very hard to find 'the one'
Old 01-24-2019, 07:15 PM
Ascend
Three Wheelin'

Received 315 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by nwGTS
I believe pinned can still fail, just not catastrophically. And possible to do with engine in car. Welding is permanent and needs a dropped engine.
One solution video example.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIl2-vBAnvk
good discussion https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...ant-lines.html
good luck in your search, op. i'm still hunting myself.. very hard to find 'the one'
Is this a problem with all 997 gens?

Yeah, I gotta agree that finding the right one is very difficult. I've contacted few sellers but cars I liked are all sold already. I think there's virgin one (with 40 miles methinks) at 230k. Quite steep for 997.2 gt3 rs, especially in this market.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:21 PM
Md88guy
6th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascend

Yeah, I gotta agree that finding the right one is very difficult. I've contacted few sellers but cars I liked are all sold already. I think there's virgin one (with 40 miles methinks) at 230k. Quite steep for 997.2 gt3 rs, especially in this market.
40 miles?? Idk, 230K doesn't sound too far off the mark. The problem is, unless you plan on keeping it a garage queen, you are going to take a bath once the miles come on. This car has essentially been assigned collector status now, unless someone has $$$ to burn and doesn't care. I do think the 997.2 RS will be the RS to have in 10 to 15 years. Between the stick, Mezger, smaller body style, hydraulic steering, and relatively more raw drive (no rw steering) it's going to be one of the classics. Like the 993 turbos today. Through the roof. You should do well with any one you buy if you hang on to it.

Trending Topics

Old 01-26-2019, 12:48 PM
MKIVdan
Rennlist Member

Received 221 Likes on 113 Posts

Originally Posted by Ascend

All 997 GT3 Gens have the potential for the coolant problem. I know the 997.1 Turbos had the problem as it had the mezger motor as well. I am unsure of the 997.2 Turbo/S having this problem as they switched to the DFI engine.

Old 01-28-2019, 12:02 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Have a local reputable shop perform a PPI. It's money well spent.
Old 01-30-2019, 01:39 PM
lflouie
Racer

Received 96 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Opinion

As a first time buyer there is a lot more to a real inspection than a PPI, IMO. PPI will certainly identify observable items such as leaks, brakes, tires, clutch, etc and maybe able to check past service histories as well as over rev report and codes. In my experience most PPI don't look for evidence of possible problems. For example, on a turbo model (not a GT3), if the tail pipes are drooping or one side is drooping that usually is an indicator of bad motor mount(s). If both or one side is raised it signals a bad transmission mount. If both trans and engine mounts are bad it usually droops. I've rarely seen a PPI replace a knowledgeable Porsche enthusiast or mechanic ability to detect these types of issues. I'd strongly suggest 2 sets of eyes, and one being a knowledgeable Porsche mechanic or owner, to thoroughly visually evaluate a car in addition to the PPI.

Quick Reply: New to 997 GT3. Any PPI/Pre-purchase homework one should do?