Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Hope to get into a GT3 Soon

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2019, 01:18 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Received 323 Likes on 179 Posts
Default Hope to get into a GT3 Soon

I have a 997.1 C2S and am getting ready to make the move into a GT3.
Probably looking for a 997.2 and wanted to get some insight into any pro's / Con's of the different years.
09-11 right?
Any differences between them?
Not too interested in color. Prefer not Black or white but not a deal breaker if other options are there.
Don't want PCCB but if it's been converted that would be ideal.
I do plan to track the car and here are some options that would be nice to have:
Lift
Steel Rotors w/ 5 Lugs
Sport Buckets
Pinned or welded Coolant lines
Gaurds LSD

\
Old 01-22-2019, 03:55 AM
yokevlee
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no differences between the years iirc (not 100% sure).
you might want to consider going without FAL because it adds weight and is unreliable.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:41 AM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Thanks. I'll try and avoid that option.
Old 01-22-2019, 11:58 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Received 284 Likes on 184 Posts

I agree on not being interested in FAL... wouldn't have been a deal breaker for me, but I was glad the car didn't have it. The 997.2 has a cam actuator issue that the 3.6s didn't have. I can't tell how much of an issue it actually is, but I bought a harmonic balancer from performance developments to cover my bases. 5 lug wheels will be a "conversion" on a .2, they were all sold as center locks new. I think the model years are '10 & '11. The .1 was 07-08. Sport buckets seem to be pretty rare, you might have to do that aftermarket.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:08 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

I'm actually OK w/o the Sport Buckets. They'd be great but I have a 996 GT3 seat that I swap in for track days currently. I can keep doing that if need be. Although the Sport Buckets are nice.
There really isn't any deal breakers that I'm aware of so far.

What's this Cam Actuator issue?

I'm also open to a .1 but thought the .2 was an improvement in most areas. A few years younger for long term ownership purposes. I've had my C2S for 10 years and 75k Miles at this point and hope to
have the GT3 for longer.
Old 01-22-2019, 12:43 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Auto_Werks 3.6
I agree on not being interested in FAL... wouldn't have been a deal breaker for me, but I was glad the car didn't have it. The 997.2 has a cam actuator issue that the 3.6s didn't have. I can't tell how much of an issue it actually is, but I bought a harmonic balancer from performance developments to cover my bases. 5 lug wheels will be a "conversion" on a .2, they were all sold as center locks new. I think the model years are '10 & '11. The .1 was 07-08. Sport buckets seem to be pretty rare, you might have to do that aftermarket.
The cam bolt issue really applies to 3.8 RS and 4.0 RS models. Or any 997.2 GT3 that upgraded to a lwfw and got rid of the dual mass flywheel.

Dual mass regular 997.2 GT3’s do not have this issue. Along with all 997.1 GT3 and GT3 RS’s.
Old 01-22-2019, 01:51 PM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by The Greek

The cam bolt issue really applies to 3.8 RS and 4.0 RS models. Or any 997.2 GT3 that upgraded to a lwfw and got rid of the dual mass flywheel.

Dual mass regular 997.2 GT3’s do not have this issue. Along with all 997.1 GT3 and GT3 RS’s.
agreed, the data does sugges that the majority of the failures have been on the single mass cars, but a dual mass flywheel is not a harmonic balancer, it’s job is to cushion the shock on the drive train. Neil was pretty adamant that the damper was a smart move on a stock .2 engine, and Jaimie from dundon indicated the same in a recent thread.... granted they both SELL the dampers. To me it’s a cheap insurance policy.

Common wisdom is that the .2 is a lot better than the .1 in every way. I can’t comment as I haven’t driven a .1.... I will say that the low end torque of the 3.8 is fantastic on the road.
Old 01-22-2019, 09:43 PM
noro78
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 51 Posts

Initially FAL was a must for me but I ended up "settling" for a no FAL. No regrets, sure I have to think about how to approach certain ramps but lack of extra weight and yet another component that may fail actually seems like a good thing. I plastidip the front splitter once in a year and it looks spectacular.
Old 01-23-2019, 01:07 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

Thanks for all of the input. I knew about the coolant lines issue. I assumed the FAL was a must have item but now I will focus on cars w/o.
Sounds like the Cam Actuator is possible a non issue but should probably address it just to be safe.

Hope to log into this forum with an update in the near future.
Old 01-24-2019, 03:23 AM
yokevlee
Intermediate

can someone plz elaborate on the cam bolt issue or cam actuator issue? thanks
Old 01-24-2019, 11:55 AM
Auto_Werks 3.6
Quit Smokin'
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by yokevlee
can someone plz elaborate on the cam bolt issue or cam actuator issue? thanks
http://performancedevelopments.com/p...enginefailure/
Old 01-25-2019, 02:02 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

2010 and 2011 only

No difference

Lots of white and blk GT3, no prob

If you don’t have insane driveway, then NO lift b/c it WILL break and it’s very $$$$$$$$$ to replace. So you will opt for not fixing it so really you have no FAL

PCCB or Steel, conversion is easy and cheap

Very very few GT3 converted to 5 lugs. Not cheap.

Back then was $3000 or so, then add wheels cost. Which is another $4k

Yes pin weld coolant is mandatory

Gaurds LSD: not many has this. It was not cheap but if you don’t have it, you don’t really have a GT3.

3.6 may not have cam actuator bolt issues but it had other problem. For example, porous blocks. They ALL have problems. Don’t worry too much.

07-08 had NO bucket seats. The sport seat is not bucket. It was not available in USA but it’s easy retro fit

Some say .1 look better and more raw. I have had multiple version of both. I do not agree. It’s not more raw, it’s just less sophisticated and not as good. Most of use who tracked 996gT3 extensively and moved to 997.1 felt it was not much improvement if at all. .2 was night and day. But that’s just me. And I don’t have time to argue until the cows come home. I will buy .2 and never again 1

And if you are very concerned with cam bolt, then just keep dual mass flywheel. The lwft is really not much difference. If you cannot drive dual mass fast, the lwfw will not help you at all. But it will assist you in over reving more frequently
Old 01-25-2019, 01:04 PM
Md88guy
6th Gear

I also went from a 997.1 C2S to a 997.2 GT3. So much more fun! You won't regret it!!

Agree on coolant lines. Note my latest entry on the "catastrophic coolant line failure" thread. Major pain in the a$$.

Good luck.
Old 01-25-2019, 01:49 PM
Hella-Buggin'
Rennlist Member

OK, please bear with me.
I'm seeing some cars that claim / appear to have No Track Time.
I'm also seeing cars that have some track based modifications.
I know these cars are robust, but how to tell when it's been really used hard on the track
vs. some fun DE duty.

In a perfect world I'd find something that has lived and stretched it's legs a bit but not flogged by someone thinking they were a racecar driver.
A Harness Bar and Sport Buckets would be ideal but I currently have a GT3 Seat I swap in for track season so I'm fine continuing that as part of
my DE Prep ritual if the right car comes along.
DME reports give a sense of how the car was driven. I'm assuming suspension mods give an indication of if it was pushed hard enough to render the stock setup inadequate.
Any other red flags?
How much should I even be worried about it?
I could save some money by getting a car that's got some harder track use and appropriate mods but long term will that bite me?

-Thanks
Old 01-25-2019, 01:55 PM
The Greek
Rennlist Member

Received 162 Likes on 64 Posts

Usually DE cars are better maintained and more attractive to me vs a garage kept car. I think most important thing is DME, records followed by a PPI.

All the cars I’ve bought for the most part were cars that were “used as intended.” Never had a problem. Only garage kept car I bought is now having seal issues. Go figure.

Im actually selling my basalt black 997.2 GT3 if you’re interested.

Quick Reply: Hope to get into a GT3 Soon