Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Anyone gone from a 997.1 GT3 to 991.1 RS?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2019, 03:54 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Depends what you want from a car. I have driven 997.1 gt3, 997.2 rs, and 991.1 rs. Wouldn't trade my 996.2 gt3 (even money) with any of them. But what I want from my GT car is to attack all my senses, make my hands sweat, my heart pumping, then kick me out all shook up after an hour, tops. Even my wife who doesn't particularly enjoy driving it or riding in it understands how special and different the 6gt3 is from any other car out there. She has put a permanent veto on ever selling it. Just picked up a Boxster (with mandatory heated seats) for lower-intensity open-top joyrides together.

My guess is that your wife (to be) will not drive/ride much in the 991.1 rs either, especially if there's a Boxster as an alternative.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:22 PM
Jrtaylor9
Rennlist Member

Received 1,094 Likes on 541 Posts

Well, money equal, I'd swap your 996.2 gt3 for a 997.2rs and buy two 996.2 (keep one for me and give u yours back)

But I get what u r saying . Sounds like it ticks all the boxes for you. I need to get past the looks one day and try one out.
Old 01-23-2019, 05:39 PM
hf1
Banned

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,121 Posts

The look has been growing on me every year since I picked it up (2012), especially the headlights. I think it will age very well.
Old 01-23-2019, 08:19 PM
Astrix
Racer

Received 196 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by Henley1
doing exactly this. have a 997.1. new 991.2 rs will be here in may. I'll report back.
Thanks!

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
For what he's wanting, not sure that makes any sense. Personally, I'd take a 7.2rs over a 1.1rs, unless I'm wanting it for the reasons the OP stated above.
I do love the 997 RS... but I'd have a 7.1 RS over 7.2... that is just me! They are big $$ here, usually around $400k AUD

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
I would also consider a used AMG gtr. Great car for the needs you mention. Comfortable when you need to. And an absolute blast when you push it.
Those are cool, my neighbour has one, it sounds fantastic! ... but just not for me.

Originally Posted by TRAKCAR
I ran all the 997 GT3 on track and I very much prefer the 991.1RS for the track, also drove the .2RS and it’s much edgier.
The best part of the Touring - Gt3 - RS range is that they can make the RS more extreme. And they did.
Cool, thanks for your thoughts. I had read your euro delivery thread, and that was a nice read, inspiring actually... and whilst we can no longer do ED here, I am seriously considering shipping a car to Europe for our honey moon in late 2020 or early 2021 (probably best avoid the winter) to do a big european tour... and maybe some track days

Originally Posted by WantA997
I traded my 997.2 GT3 for a 991.1 RS over a month ago.

I often told myself I'd take the GT3 to the grave with me. That it was the "one".

But let me put it this way: so far, not once have I missed the GT3.

The RS is simply a better car in nearly every aspect. And as it should be, it's a newer GT car (and it's an RS).

As Jrtaylor9 said, they hardly have anything in common and the two simply cannot be compared.

Of course, YMMV, but if the RS does not put an ear-to-ear grin on your face, in my opinion no car will.

So, to answer your question, no you will absolutely not regret it.

And yes, I still love 997 GT cars and I would love to add a 997.2 RS to the future stable if/when funds allow for it. Had I just opted for a 997.2 RS from the onset (before I bought my GT3), I'd likely be singing a different tune right now.
Thanks for the feedback, I cant see myself adding too many more cars, really I am trying to consolidate into one!

Originally Posted by hf1
Depends what you want from a car. I have driven 997.1 gt3, 997.2 rs, and 991.1 rs. Wouldn't trade my 996.2 gt3 (even money) with any of them. But what I want from my GT car is to attack all my senses, make my hands sweat, my heart pumping, then kick me out all shook up after an hour, tops. Even my wife who doesn't particularly enjoy driving it or riding in it understands how special and different the 6gt3 is from any other car out there. She has put a permanent veto on ever selling it. Just picked up a Boxster (with mandatory heated seats) for lower-intensity open-top joyrides together.

My guess is that your wife (to be) will not drive/ride much in the 991.1 rs either, especially if there's a Boxster as an alternative.
I really enjoyed my 996.2 GT3, but they are definitely a singular focus car... I think the RS will strike a balance, I guess I want to have my cake and eat it? It'll be nice to go to the track on a Saturday, then go for a social drive in it together on the Sunday...

The truth is, the car that buried the GT3 was our Macan Turbo... its just a great car for many occasions, and we use it a lot.

The jury is still out on whether I'll miss the manual or not, but we have lots of traffic here in Sydney and its old, fast...
Old 01-25-2019, 05:26 PM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 993 Likes on 527 Posts

Originally Posted by hf1

I think I can understand. Mine has 134K miles (of that, 129K miles are my own).

I did get a ride in a new RS and I will tell you that it is an amazing car. I reciprocated with the instructor and took him for a turn in my old '04 and he thought it was amazing. Now, his RS would surely eat mine for lunch, but the old 6GT3 is still a lot of fun.

Any GT car is going to be special. What you want to get out of your ride is up to you. The 996 and 997 GT3s will be more raw and personal. The 991 variations will feel more civil and still boast better lap times without you having white knuckles to do it.

Quick Reply: Anyone gone from a 997.1 GT3 to 991.1 RS?