Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

GT3 Owners are smart

Old 12-06-2018, 11:11 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
Service costs money but nothing compared to the psychological benefits of a 997 GT car
I need to hang out more in this forum.

Originally Posted by HarmonyJim
In my opinion, the true enthusiasts rank resale and investment aspects somewhat down the list. Far cheaper than a therapist...or God forbid, a divorce, if you love it - well then, it is the best investment you ever made.
Agreed 100%

Originally Posted by GTorTT
There are a lot of things I may try to justify to myself or others, but I never try to justify my cars as a rational thing or, needless to say, a smart financial move. However, they bring me great joy, and that's more than I can ask for. I'm sure at some point when I'm old and laying in bed unable to move (if I get that far), I won't look back and say I wish I hadn't spent all that money on Porsches, or feel bad that I didn't make money on them. I'll probably say I wish I'd driven them even more....
Isn't true? When we are layed up, as all of will be at some time, will we look back at those crazy purchases we hid from our wives and those insanely fun rips up into the mountains or will be lamenting our somewhat depleted bank accounts? I know the answer for me. I've lost 5 - 10K on each car, and I can only imagine the F40 loss, but who cares, right? It's the experience that counts.
Old 12-07-2018, 08:56 AM
TRAKCAR
Rennlist Member

Received 1,586 Likes on 734 Posts

If you spend $100k a year at the track, the cost/resale of the car is just a small part of the total.
Having said that, I still bought them OK, and sold at lowest point, haha.

Old 12-07-2018, 11:01 AM
jgorscak
Rennlist Member

Received 59 Likes on 33 Posts

This is a great blog. I wrestle everyday about buying more toys vs being "smart" and saving/investing my misc funds in the more traditional sense. I've come to realize that (and sorry for the cliche) its important to strike a good balance between the two. The only car I've ever made money on is my 997.1 GT2, but that was just due to lucky timing. Lost on all of the others. Personally, the way I look at it is the cost I pay in depreciation for the amount of enjoyment the car brings me is equivalent to the cost someone else may spend on the enjoyment they get for their yearly extravagant vacation. I truly enjoy my cars and depreciation is the cost of entertainment. The hardest thing for me is to try to keep my few toys in the $100-150k range rather than a few in the $200-300k range. This has become increasingly more difficult to do though as of late!!
Old 12-07-2018, 01:59 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by jgorscak
The hardest thing for me is to try to keep my few toys in the $100-150k range rather than a few in the $200-300k range. This has become increasingly more difficult to do though as of late!!
Well, I'm already getting old and after spending most of my life being "sensible" about spending, it's hard to see $$$$$$ going out the door for an "11 3.8 RS, but I don't regret it for a minute! Mooty said I should trade up to a 4.0 but that's a lotta bucks extra for a .2L improvement! The rest of the fleet has appreciated without any input on my behalf. Hell, just bought what I liked!
Old 12-07-2018, 03:29 PM
Zeus993
Rennlist Member

Received 1,240 Likes on 571 Posts

Originally Posted by Rick-A-Shay
Well, I'm already getting old and after spending most of my life being "sensible" about spending, it's hard to see $$$$$$ going out the door for an "11 3.8 RS, but I don't regret it for a minute! Mooty said I should trade up to a 4.0 but that's a lotta bucks extra for a .2L improvement! The rest of the fleet has appreciated without any input on my behalf. Hell, just bought what I liked!
Hey Mr. Rick - agree 100% and nice quiver of cars. Do you mind me asking which one is your "go to" daily driver?
Old 12-07-2018, 11:41 PM
madmurdock
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts

I was in your shoes too. I remember finding a few 997.2 RS going for low 120's when I first started looking. Even with crazy options like carbon everything, painted vents... all those damn disco features.
I kept seeing the price go up up and up. I just bit the bullet and bought one because my gut feeling told me the price would not come down at this rate. No regrets!
Today, I don't care if it's worth 80k.. I aint getting rid of this car. At first I was worried about price, but after I drove the car I realized why people like Chris Harris and Francois Delecour love the 997.2 RS. It's a blast to drive!

I actually just created a new post in regards to taking my car to New Zealand. They are being a little fussy, but I'm determined to bring the car in to NZ. It's fairly difficult to find used examples since only 8 997.2 RS's were delivered to NZ. We're smart and determined too..
Old 12-08-2018, 03:53 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

always buy what you like
predicting the mkt is dumb. if you are that good, predict the drop of last week and short that 2 weeks ago
Old 12-08-2018, 07:13 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Zeus993
Hey Mr. Rick - agree 100% and nice quiver of cars. Do you mind me asking which one is your "go to" daily driver?
VW E Golf.........
Old 12-08-2018, 09:48 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 594 Likes on 306 Posts

Well, I'm sure for every financial 'failure' there are a few happy stories. I bought my 997.2 RS in spring of 2013 just as the 991 GT3 was being announced.

I missed out on a 997.1 GT3 RS with 28k miles that was green in North Carolina and priced at $86,500 by a few hours.
I bought my own 997.2 GT3 RS with 59k miles (white/gold) in the Bay Area for $95,000 and have been in love with the car ever since. This is a car purchase that I will never, ever regret...and the love affair never ends.

I turned to RennList when doing research on the 'failed' PCCBs that came on my 997.2 RS and the guys here set my mind at ease completely, which allowed me to complete the transaction. It's now 5.5 years later (6000+ miles) and I'm still happily rolling around on the same brakes.
Old 12-08-2018, 11:27 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by madmurdock
I was in your shoes too. I remember finding a few 997.2 RS going for low 120's when I first started looking. Even with crazy options like carbon everything, painted vents... all those damn disco features.
I kept seeing the price go up up and up. I just bit the bullet and bought one because my gut feeling told me the price would not come down at this rate. No regrets!
Today, I don't care if it's worth 80k.. I aint getting rid of this car. At first I was worried about price, but after I drove the car I realized why people like Chris Harris and Francois Delecour love the 997.2 RS. It's a blast to drive!

I actually just created a new post in regards to taking my car to New Zealand. They are being a little fussy, but I'm determined to bring the car in to NZ. It's fairly difficult to find used examples since only 8 997.2 RS's were delivered to NZ. We're smart and determined too..

Sounds like my story except for the New Zealand part. LOL
Old 12-11-2018, 07:45 PM
jason95R
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 97 Posts

I bought my first house in CT in April of 2006. It's been a rental property since 2010 which I recently put on the market at a 40% discount off of what I paid for it. If I bought a $100k GT3 and sold it for $60K I can tell you for sure that I would have gotten much more enjoyment out of the car than the house. Oh and don't get me started on being a landlord. That's even worse. It is the psychological OPPOSITE of owning a sports car!

Buy it. Drive it. Don't look back.
Old 12-12-2018, 02:41 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

VW E Golf.........
u should just DD your 993
Old 12-12-2018, 02:42 AM
mooty
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by jason95R
I bought my first house in CT in April of 2006. It's been a rental property since 2010 which I recently put on the market at a 40% discount off of what I paid for it. If I bought a $100k GT3 and sold it for $60K I can tell you for sure that I would have gotten much more enjoyment out of the car than the house. Oh and don't get me started on being a landlord. That's even worse. It is the psychological OPPOSITE of owning a sports car!

Buy it. Drive it. Don't look back.
if you bought a POS property in Palo Alto CA in 2006, today you can retire comfortably in CT
Old 12-12-2018, 03:39 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mooty
u should just DD your 993
Nah, Gotta save up for gas money for RS........
Old 12-13-2018, 01:26 PM
jason95R
Racer

Received 156 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by mooty
if you bought a POS property in Palo Alto CA in 2006, today you can retire comfortably in CT
I don't even want to think about it. CT is a disaster. Our taxes are out of control and people and business are leaving in droves because it is so expensive to live here. (Not that CA doesn't have much of the same but people are willing to pay to live there)

If my business was movable I would be out of here too. But I am client facing daily and my clients are pretty much all local. Would be impossible to leave.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: GT3 Owners are smart