Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

I’m going E85 and will document the results!

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2019, 01:06 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Is the car running lean on the OTS map?
Old 05-21-2019, 06:35 PM
voodoo
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Hey Fellas,

This saga is finally over.

After some travel for work my schedule and Jon's finally lined up. I made it out to Dyno Spectrum over the weekend and spent a couple hours on their wind tunnel dyno, which is pretty amazing. You have to check this place out. They share a building with World Racing (Chris Rado).

Jon spent about 1.5 hours on the car and threw his whole bag of tricks at it.

The results on paper are not overwhelming, but the car now feels amazing between 3800 and 6800 rpm. I couldn't be happier.

The ex-Honda guys will get this. I think the 997.1 GT3 (3.6) is very strung out from the factory like an AP1 S2000. Between the headers and E85 I think I've pretty much maxed out bolt-on horsepower. I'm super happy with the car, so I will probably start messing with the suspension next and leave the motor alone.

Final comments:

- The Fabspeed headers still blow me away. The car sounds incredible and I was really impressed with the difference they made.The long tubes are probably killer.
- For the money spent I am very pleased with the results and all of this could be done in your garage.
- I am now saving $2 a gallon on gas. Score!
- The car runs great and cooler.

Again, sorry this took so long.

Ryan
Old 05-21-2019, 07:09 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

You’re saving on gas per gallon but using what, 60% more right? Probably a net 0 I would think
Old 05-21-2019, 07:11 PM
voodoo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by misterwaterfall
You’re saving on gas per gallon but using what, 60% more right? Probably a net 0 I would think
Only about 30%
Old 05-21-2019, 07:23 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,438 Likes on 776 Posts

My home track is sebring. I guess I'll stick with 93 since e85 isnt readily availible between sessions
Old 05-21-2019, 08:00 PM
pdxmotorhead
Three Wheelin'

Received 393 Likes on 292 Posts

One of the places I play is with sprints and dwarf cars, the biggest easy to measure difference that Alcohol brings is the lower head/valve temps...
And allows you to really tweek things up.. (Switching from Race Gas to Methanol dropped out dwarf car head temps from almost 700 to 325,
It was so dramatic we had to add a heater to the dry sump tank or we couldn't hardly get the engine to warm up... The cooling effect is what allows the
V8 to spin as high as it does (9500) without burning valves or pistons.

To really exploit it a compression bump to some really high numbers,, our sprint runs 15:1 Midget is 16.5:1 ,,
static compression test gets you up in the 250 to 275 PSI range. Piston to head gets tight..

The lower amount of power in the E85 netting the lower economy.. Ya gotta think about it a lot..

Also with boxer engines,,, and the 996/997 engines where cylinder wall wash down is a very real problem,, High levels of
Alcohol are known to cause worse issues with that,, engines running Alcohol use much higher oil change rates, and only heavy oils..
(Alcohol is one of the bigger reasons for the white foam in valve cover areas.. )
We dump almost 4 gallons of synthetic pretty much every race weekend with a Winged Sprint. (Dry sump)

If your running high or straight Alchy I recommend Klotz Uplon additive,, its a top end lube for the fuel
system and head that helps prevent the white crystals that Alchohol can form in contact with O2
and various metals and chemicals. I've used it on $80K Sprint and Midget engines for a decade and
it prevents MUCH alcohol evil. Really common product in the pits at a dirt track..

Cheers
Old 10-16-2019, 06:39 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 431 Likes on 307 Posts

Any more info and updates? Cobb's site is lacking info on the 997.2 E85 maps, not sure if they continued developing it.
GTLM cars apparently have the option of running E85 or E20 these days from what I've been reading-so for Porsche motorsports E85 is not only viable but it's been used since around 2014. I think the Corvette racing team has been using it since 2008-
Old 10-17-2019, 12:28 PM
voodoo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JB911
Any more info and updates? Cobb's site is lacking info on the 997.2 E85 maps, not sure if they continued developing it.
GTLM cars apparently have the option of running E85 or E20 these days from what I've been reading-so for Porsche motorsports E85 is not only viable but it's been used since around 2014. I think the Corvette racing team has been using it since 2008-
Hi,

I'm still on E85 and the car runs great. Dyno Spectrum (ex-cobb guys) could get you a .2 MAP.

Also, really enjoy having the accessport for data logging!
Old 10-22-2019, 11:52 AM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Wait so the car now makes 415 whp with just exhaust and tune? That's pretty good.
Old 10-22-2019, 04:10 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 431 Likes on 307 Posts

There's another thread looking for options on a Flex Fuel sensor for the GT3, which would automatically detect any ratio of ethanol/gasoline, but I doubt any company will step up to it-aside from Cobb, few seem to have an interest in developing E85 support for GT3s. Porsche Motorsports set up GTLM Mezgers for E85 since 2014, but I doubt it trickeled down to GT3 Cup cars. Would be nice if PM provided data and options for those who would want it-
Old 10-26-2019, 12:00 AM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 736 Likes on 421 Posts

If you wanted to go nuts, you could run an AEM infinity ECU but that seems like overkill for those gains. I had a dual map 91/E85 tune (so not flex) but it was really rare that I needed to run the 91 map ever. When I would go to the track, I would bring a bunch of those big white jugs filled with E85, and they would last me from the E85 station to the local LA tracks, and back for a whole weekend!! It was great.

I really liked this too Ryan:
http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/ECA/ECA.shtml
I just had it in my glovebox. Sometimes you will get E70 or something and definitely want to chill out if your tune was for E85 specifically. I usually got E83-86 but it does vary and it pays to be aware of it.
  • Real time display of fuel ethanol content from 0% to 100%
  • Displays fuel temperature in Fahrenheit and Celsius ranging from -40 to 125 °F (-40 to 52 °C)
  • Error indication in event of signal absence from Flex Fuel Sensor
  • Two analog outputs: Ethanol % and Fuel Temperature for use with datalogging or engine management systems
  • Surface mountable sleek aluminum enclosure with bright LED display visible even in direct sunlight
  • A flex fuel sensor is required. The ECA is compatible with standard OEM sensors used in most vehicles with the flex fuel insignia or which run on E85

Quick Reply: I’m going E85 and will document the results!