Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

I’m going E85 and will document the results!

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 02:12 PM
voodoo
Rennlist Member

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

Accessport arrived. One step closer. Need to find some time to get to the dyno for the baseline pull.

Having the Cobb Accessport to simply read and clear codes is going to be great!

Last edited by voodoo; 11-26-2018 at 02:27 PM.
Old 11-27-2018, 02:15 AM
nstymatt
Instructor

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

I'd also be interested in a dyno before/after to see where the HP gain lies (ie. is the 30HP gain only at the top of the rev range)?

Would also be cool if there was a flex fuel kit for this car. In NorCal as well and there are too few E85 stations here
Old 11-27-2018, 03:30 AM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 431 Likes on 307 Posts

I've been reading articles and blogs in Brazilian sites, out of curiosity since Brazil is the only country that implemented 100% ethanol starting with a federal law/program in 1975(!) The first cars started running on E100 in 1978. After the initial corrosion issues were worked out and all cars evolved into using fuel injection for decades since(some early cars were still carbureted and had more difficulties)customers could buy either a 100% alcohol car, or gasoline like rest of the world. In 2003, the Flex Fuel cars were introduced, and the alcohol only cars declined in sales since now the vehicle could detect in milliseconds the proportion. So flex cars there can take E100(available in practically every gas station anywhere)
The manufacturers do recommend alternating between fuels once in a while. All engines should run til full operating temperature so the engine oil "boils" the moisture and fuel contamination from blowby gases, and in these articles there was talk of potential oil contamination. I can't say how conclusive advantages and disadvantages are, some articles mentioned doing regular maintenance and oil changes, some did say fuel filters could get contaminated and perhaps should be changed more often. But in the US, it would be 85% ethanol, hopefully good quality too. The GTLM cars use VP racing quality E85. Also I read on some blogs that injectors stay cleaner, despite being pointed out that fuel filters might need to be changed more frequently. I could try to search some more and select a page and then do the google translate and post a link if I find something that anyone might be curious about. My first thoughts were motor oil, spark plug heat range, etc. But it seems the GT3 can handle the E85, at least the 997.1 since cobb has the map-
Old 12-04-2018, 01:22 AM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Received 735 Likes on 421 Posts

unless I was running proper flex maps, I would never use E85 on a static tune without this:
http://www.zeitronix.com/Products/ECA/ECA.shtml

Kind of a set it and forget it gauge. I had mine in the glove box. In So. Cal, I usually saw between E82 and E85. In 5 years, I ran maybe 2 tanks of 91.
I never had any issues on E85 in my EVO—both with the stock 2.0 motor and a built 2.3.
The 2 tanks I ran 91 on a road trip, I think it was reading E10-15 if I remember correctly but I might be wrong. Nevertheless, everyone has been running a percentage of Ethanol in normal gas for some time. To run E85 properly, you need to scale the injectors and have a fuel pump that can handle the pressure but lines and etc. were not an issue for me in 2 different cars.
On my built 2.3 the HP gains were significant between the 2 fuels because E85 has a higher octane rating as discussed above.

This car felt like a sportbike.
I was doing more track days at the time, so I cannot say the car needed more maintenance than any other regularly tracked car but it dealt with daily duties fine. The car was SUPER FUN though!!
(this was the 2.3 tune. If I remember correctly, we kept it pretty conservative in the end and capped it at 465hp/tq).
Old 12-13-2018, 02:12 AM
Isthisforeal
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Any updates? I just ordered my cobb for my gt3 just for the e85 tune
Old 12-13-2018, 03:00 AM
Isthisforeal
Advanced

Duplicate
Old 12-13-2018, 12:36 PM
voodoo
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Isthisforeal
Any updates? I just ordered my cobb for my gt3 just for the e85 tune
I have the accessport. Fabspeed headers just arrived. Goal is to get the baseline early next week and then get the headers on the following Saturday and test again. Run the headers for about a week and finally switch to e85 and dyno again.
Old 12-17-2018, 12:19 AM
LateBraking
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Considering stock everything is adequate, I wonder why Cobb or someone else does not offer a flex fuel sensor kit. Could it really be that much more difficult to get a sensor in our GT3s as opposed to say, a Subaru WRX or Mitsubishi Evo where these sensors are far more common?
Old 12-17-2018, 12:42 AM
Isthisforeal
Advanced

Originally Posted by LateBraking
Considering stock everything is adequate, I wonder why Cobb or someone else does not offer a flex fuel sensor kit. Could it really be that much more difficult to get a sensor in our GT3s as opposed to say, a Subaru WRX or Mitsubishi Evo where these sensors are far more common?
Most likely bc theres no boost involved, but you are right I definitely would not run an e85 tune on my 997tt without the fuel sensor
Old 12-20-2018, 04:40 AM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

most EVO dudes are running a static E85 map, and not a flex tune. I think you would need a standalone ECU like an AEM Infinity or something like that to run a flex fuel tune. With my EVO, it was injectors, high flow fuel pump, and tune at first. The car was happy for a long time with a dual map 91/E85 tune. Then, with the 2.3 built motor, the engine was very happy with E85. Regardless, if I had a 911TT, I would totally run an E85 tune if possible BUT always with an Ethanol Content Gauge as mentioned above. The fluctuations in E85 is fairly minor but I had the above mentioned gauge to be sure 100% of the time.
Old 12-20-2018, 09:46 PM
LateBraking
Rennlist Member

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by jamesinger
most EVO dudes are running a static E85 map, and not a flex tune. I think you would need a standalone ECU like an AEM Infinity or something like that to run a flex fuel tune. With my EVO, it was injectors, high flow fuel pump, and tune at first. The car was happy for a long time with a dual map 91/E85 tune. Then, with the 2.3 built motor, the engine was very happy with E85. Regardless, if I had a 911TT, I would totally run an E85 tune if possible BUT always with an Ethanol Content Gauge as mentioned above. The fluctuations in E85 is fairly minor but I had the above mentioned gauge to be sure 100% of the time.
Cobb AP runs flex right off the ECU. Not sure how they do it, but they do. Both the Evos and the STis. Does need two separate tunes for E85 and regular fuel though loaded into the AP.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:14 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 431 Likes on 307 Posts

Cobb has a flex fuel sensor, don't think it can be used on a GT3 though-

https://www.cobbtuning.com/cobb-flex...a-deeper-look/
Old 12-21-2018, 12:23 AM
voodoo
Rennlist Member

Finally got the baseline done. Literally changed nothing. Just showed up after an hour on the freeway and made two pulls. No two dynos read the same, so after I bolt on Fabspeed headers on the 28th, I’ll swing back by at the same time of evening for another couple pulls. Then a couple days later i’ll finally make the switch to E85 and get two more pulls in. I’m doing my best to reallly make sure this is as fair and accurate as possible!

Old 12-21-2018, 01:15 PM
jamesinger
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by LateBraking
Cobb AP runs flex right off the ECU. Not sure how they do it, but they do. Both the Evos and the STis. Does need two separate tunes for E85 and regular fuel though loaded into the AP.
That is what I had in the sense that, if I was running E85, and changed to 91, I had to map switch. Cobb might have flex fuel but proper flex fuel will map for 91-E100 and everything between, so you can even blend 91 and E85 without worry. I did not have that on either of my cars. I would always stress going from 91 to E85 because if there was 91 in the tank when you add E85, it makes you run a lower ethanol content on a tune that is set for a higher content.

It is also important to know what % you have of ethanol when you tune Ryan. So, if you are tuned on exactly (say) E83, running E85 is NBD but it is good to know the content.
Old 12-21-2018, 06:21 PM
madmurdock
Rennlist Member

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts

Nice to see some RRE guys on here. If you need a dyno or tune in SoCal, RRE is the place.

Quick Reply: I’m going E85 and will document the results!