Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Dundon or Evoms Headers on GT3?

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2018, 02:56 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Received 1,438 Likes on 776 Posts

Originally Posted by BDCGT3
As is seemingly all too often the case, an OP asks a question...in this instance, wanting to hear from people who have had experience with one or both headers that he is considering...a couple of people chime in with one comment or another about the headers but it is unclear as to whether or not these posters are speaking from personal experience...so it is understandable when the OP in essence asks each of the responders if they had ever installed the referenced header on their own vehicle, or at least what had prompted their response...in each case silence...not until the ninth thread, as is often the case even to this newbie, "bmwtye" weighs in with his usual helpful and extensive commentary based on his experiences...while even taking the time to provide not only pictures but sound clips as well.
Hats off to the seemingly usual responders who are always providing the most extensive and helpful commentary about the question at hand...in my estimation they not only don't get enough credit for all the time they take to elaborate at length about their experience vis a vis the question, but all too often they aren't even acknowledged, let alone thanked for having taken the time to do so.
I apologize but I havent checked back on this thread since yesterday.......thank you to everyone who has responded.
Old 11-16-2018, 01:30 PM
a_Y
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by flsupraguy
Is that what you have?
Hey sorry for the late reply. Yes this is what I am running on my .2RS now. I used to have a .1RS and I first ran Akra Evo Race (headers, cats, side delete, muffler). The sound was intoxicating and more solid but I didn’t really feel any gain in power. I then switched to Sharkwerks/EVOMS headers and cats and matched it with the Akra muffler. The exhaust sounded more deep but I thought the Akra full set up sounded nicer. However, I felt an increase in mid-range torque right away and I stuck with this set up till I eventually sold the car.

I replaced my .1 with the .2 and got a set of the race headers. This set up replaces the original headers, cats, and side mufflers and matches onto the OEM muffler. The good thing is the side connecting pipes have valves. When the valves are closed, the car is only about 20% louder than stock and there is no drone unless under extreme circumstances. When the valves open, the car absolutely screams and the noise is just amazing. Gunned it from 3k rpm to redline and into 4th while wife was in the car and she was asked me if what else did I do apart from the exhaust because the car feels that much faster. The only thing is without cats, the car does smell quite a bit from the fumes so I can’t open my windows much especially in a small town like Hong Kong. If your state doesn’t have smog regulations and you can stand your car without cats, I would definitely recommend going with Dundon. No video clips but here are a few pics that I took:

Old 11-16-2018, 01:43 PM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Those Dundon headers are beautiful. They look almost identical to RSR headers however the RSR headers are Inconel. I love Inconel. It's sexy stuff. An entire RSR/Grand Am Inconel exhaust weighs about 20 lbs including hardware. I'm either going to run my Inconel headers with Supercup pipes (scary scary loud) or with Grand Am mufflers (just one scary) loud. BTW, unlike a lot of the racing stuff made by M&M the Inconel parts are made by MHG. The Inconel stuff is basically nla so it's used or nada. Anyway sorry for veering off topic. JBO
Old 11-16-2018, 02:13 PM
bergx7
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 57 Posts

I have the full catted Dundon setup with black (race) muffler. Little bit of drone on the highway around 3k rpm but not bad. Sound is a bit different than my prior GMG headers + stock side mufflers + center delete, a little more raspy but it sounds good. Car makes a ton of power but its also a 4.0 conversion so hard to compare. Its making 420+ whp on a roller dyno (would be more without friction losses e.g. on a dynapack). I also have their full carbon intake system which is lovely.

Jamie and team at Dundon are super helpful and I would work with them again.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:38 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 354 Likes on 197 Posts

Originally Posted by gt2-josh
Those Dundon headers are beautiful. They look almost identical to RSR headers however the RSR headers are Inconel. I love Inconel. It's sexy stuff. An entire RSR/Grand Am Inconel exhaust weighs about 20 lbs including hardware. I'm either going to run my Inconel headers with Supercup pipes (scary scary loud) or with Grand Am mufflers (just one scary) loud. BTW, unlike a lot of the racing stuff made by M&M the Inconel parts are made by MHG. The Inconel stuff is basically nla so it's used or nada. Anyway sorry for veering off topic. JBO

RSR headers are actually shorter than these... We've made inconel versions of them in the past, but they're quite pricey. With these being 321SS you get almost all the benefit of Inconel from a corrosion and strength standpoint, we can't make the 321SS as thin as you can Inconel so these weigh a bit more.
jamie@dundonmotorsports.com

www.dundonmotorsports.com
Facebook.com/dundonmotorsports
Instagram @dundon_motorsports
Old 11-16-2018, 04:56 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

Originally Posted by bergx7
I have the full catted Dundon setup with black (race) muffler. Little bit of drone on the highway around 3k rpm but not bad. Sound is a bit different than my prior GMG headers + stock side mufflers + center delete, a little more raspy but it sounds good. Car makes a ton of power but its also a 4.0 conversion so hard to compare. Its making 420+ whp on a roller dyno (would be more without friction losses e.g. on a dynapack). I also have their full carbon intake system which is lovely.

Jamie and team at Dundon are super helpful and I would work with them again.
lucky duck!!!
Old 11-16-2018, 05:11 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Thank you to all who have responded. I wonder if a center muffler delete would be too loud along with dundon race headers?
Old 11-16-2018, 09:33 PM
Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 354 Likes on 197 Posts

Thank you to all who have responded. I wonder if a center muffler delete would be too loud along with dundon race headers?
Others have done it, it's very loud, will drone as no valves to lengthen the path and cancel the drone frequency and will have a bit of a dip in power in the mid range. The best setup for these cars is Race Headers and a Lifetime Muffler. Completely bulletproof!
Old 11-17-2018, 10:18 AM
a_Y
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

Will definitely be too loud. Try dundon race with factory muffler first. It is loud enough when you gun it.
Old 11-17-2018, 10:57 AM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Jamie@dundonmotorsports
Others have done it, it's very loud, will drone as no valves to lengthen the path and cancel the drone frequency and will have a bit of a dip in power in the mid range. The best setup for these cars is Race Headers and a Lifetime Muffler. Completely bulletproof!
Perfect. I will go with your "loud" center muffler if it isnt loud enough with the stocker.
Old 11-17-2018, 11:09 AM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

Too loud is subjective. It really depends what YOU want. Swapping centers is an expensive way to test different setups. Why not start with your stock center and then go from there if it's not loud enough. My car with the stock center and Cargraphic everything was very loud but I received compliments all the time. Just a thought... JBO PS The stock center is not too dissimilar from a Cup center. Maybe that's why the stock center works so well.
Old 11-17-2018, 12:29 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

Too loud is subjective. It really depends what YOU want. Swapping centers is an expensive way to test different setups. Why not start with your stock center and then go from there if it's not loud enough. My car with the stock center and Cargraphic everything was very loud but I received compliments all the time. Just a thought... JBO PS The stock center is not too dissimilar from a Cup center. Maybe that's why the stock center works so well.
I agree and that's what I basically said in the post right above you....
Old 11-17-2018, 01:21 PM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

My apologies. I wasn't trying to disrespect you. I just wanted to say that you might like something that others find too loud. Several of the different RSR / Grand Am exhausts are basically straight pipes. I know we're not talking about race pipes but it's worth mentioning. And some people do run them on the street. I think Sharkwerks may have a video of a car with what is basically straight pipes. If you haven't seen the Leh Keen video on YouTube check it out. It's pure outrageous perfect sound. Love it. JBO
Old 11-17-2018, 01:24 PM
flsupraguy
Rennlist Member

My apologies. I wasn't trying to disrespect you. I just wanted to say that you might like something that others find too loud. Several of the different RSR / Grand Am exhausts are basically straight pipes. I know we're not talking about race pipes but it's worth mentioning. And some people do run them on the street. I think Sharkwerks may have a video of a car with what is basically straight pipes. If you haven't seen the Leh Keen video on YouTube check it out. It's pure outrageous perfect sound. Love it. JBO
No worries thanks
Old 11-17-2018, 01:25 PM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

Oh crap. I'm sorry. You did say you are going to do exactly what I said. My apologies. JBO

Quick Reply: Dundon or Evoms Headers on GT3?