Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Difference in note/sound between center muffler bypass systems?

Old 09-24-2018, 12:43 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 911 Likes on 512 Posts

Originally Posted by JB911
The TPC valved sides retain the flexible upper area of the pipes. Seems like originally they used the factory looking bellows for flexibility, which I think would help-they seem to have switched to a steel braided style flexible section, perhaps the hardware is easier to attain/manufacture than the bellows style, who knows.
The TPC valved side delete pipes have stainless steel braiding on top of the factory style bellows to further improve durability. The flex joint helps reduce metal fatigue for heat expansion and vibration.
Old 09-24-2018, 12:53 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 431 Likes on 307 Posts

Get the Carnewal remote
I installed with the negative terminal to the torx screw on the rear bumper, last one top right. Make sure you get a good connection, and slip the negative connector below the plastic of the bumper-at first it was intermittent and I had to make sure it was very well connected. You can zip tie or use vhb tape to the box, lay it to the right of the airbox. Be patient removing the connector to the car, takes a bit of patience to disconnect but I guess you already did that step when you disconnected your system-
I keep the remote on the console, just ahead of the shifter-US models can not pair remote function to the garage remote button in the car, unfortunately.
Old 09-26-2018, 03:02 AM
bovien
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zdet
I've had both GMG and Sharkwerks center bypasses on two different 997.1 GT3s. Due to mid-range drone, I ended up removing the GMG and replacing it with the stock center muffler on the first car. The second car had the Sharkwerks bypass installed upon purchase, but I received a stock center muffler with the second car. I planned to remove the Sharkwerks bypass based on my experience with the GMG, but, over a year later, I have (and will) not. There is no noticeable drone with the Sharkwerks unit and the sound is intoxicating. Anecdotally, there seem to be some meaningful variations in center bypass options.
Great info! This is exactly what the thread was about and what I need to know. Does anyone else have these kinds of experiences?

Originally Posted by Tom-TPC Racing
Delete pipes fall into two camps: side delete or center delet.
Yep, but my issue with the side delete is the removal of the valves and a 95+db sound level. This violates most EU trackday rules and that is the point of my GT3, so I need to stick with just the center delete to get a bit more volumen at regular road driving and midrange accelerations - which is what I got from my Designtek center delete x pipe. But, as mentioned, that left me with a "lower quality" sound than the OEM box even though I got more volume. I'm looking for a system that gives best of both worlds. Sharkwerks might be it, but more experiences would be great to hear
Old 09-26-2018, 03:41 AM
boostedt0y
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by bovien
Great info! This is exactly what the thread was about and what I need to know. Does anyone else have these kinds of experiences?

Yep, but my issue with the side delete is the removal of the valves and a 95+db sound level. This violates most EU trackday rules and that is the point of my GT3, so I need to stick with just the center delete to get a bit more volumen at regular road driving and midrange accelerations - which is what I got from my Designtek center delete x pipe. But, as mentioned, that left me with a "lower quality" sound than the OEM box even though I got more volume. I'm looking for a system that gives best of both worlds. Sharkwerks might be it, but more experiences would be great to hear
imo center delete is louder than side muffler delete. I had a gmg center bypass at one point and I had issues with sound before at my local track with a 103db Limit. Blew 104 on a few occasions. Never any issues after switching to side muffler delete with stock center
Old 09-26-2018, 03:45 AM
bovien
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by boostedt0y
imo center delete is louder than side muffler delete. I had a gmg center bypass at one point and I had issues with sound before at my local track with a 103db Limit. Blew 104 on a few occasions. Never any issues after switching to side muffler delete with stock center
But center delete keeps the valves that can be forced shut and thereby hit almost 92-95db depending on measurement. I like being in the safe side as driving 400km to a trackday and then getting pulled off with no way, but mounting external silencers, of fixing it is a bummer
Old 09-26-2018, 03:56 AM
boostedt0y
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by bovien
But center delete keeps the valves that can be forced shut and thereby hit almost 92-95db depending on measurement. I like being in the safe side as driving 400km to a trackday and then getting pulled off with no way, but mounting external silencers, of fixing it is a bummer
if you can find a gps controller that forces valves shut at the point on track where they measure sound and subsequently reopens the valves, that approach works. Many guys use that setup at laguna.

However, I wouldn’t run with the valves closed for the whole track day as it will generate a lot of unwanted heat which at the minimum is bad for the cats. There was a thread years ago that mentioned the downsides of running with the valves forced closed for extended periods of time. If you do a search I’m sure you can find it.
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (07-18-2021)
Old 09-26-2018, 04:42 AM
bovien
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by boostedt0y

if you can find a gps controller that forces valves shut at the point on track where they measure sound and subsequently reopens the valves, that approach works. Many guys use that setup at laguna.

However, I wouldn’t run with the valves closed for the whole track day as it will generate a lot of unwanted heat which at the minimum is bad for the cats. There was a thread years ago that mentioned the downsides of running with the valves forced closed for extended periods of time. If you do a search I’m sure you can find it.
Thanks, I've wondered about this could be an issue. I'll take a look. Last few trackdays, I've also let it run without forcing them closed and then letting off the throttle at measuring points. That works with the OEM center box, but with a center delete, it's way more of an issue. Sounds über cool with the GPS based valve control
Old 09-26-2018, 01:22 PM
MJFDDS
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

I have the RSS center. I actually disconnected one of the hoses to one of the valves and plugged the tubing. One valve is still connected and controlled with the cabin switch. It reduced the drone that I hated with the solenoid completely disconnected. It's a good tradeoff between both valves functioning and muting the sound and a completely disconnected solenoid that tends to drone at cruising speed.
Old 09-26-2018, 02:13 PM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,037 Likes on 658 Posts

Originally Posted by MJFDDS
I have the RSS center. I actually disconnected one of the hoses to one of the valves and plugged the tubing. One valve is still connected and controlled with the cabin switch. It reduced the drone that I hated with the solenoid completely disconnected. It's a good tradeoff between both valves functioning and muting the sound and a completely disconnected solenoid that tends to drone at cruising speed.
and the differences in back pressure between your left bank, verses your right bank, doesn't affect the balance of the motor, let alone the difference in heat on each side?

I'm no mechanical engineer or automotive technician,... but I would not run my motor that way. I get the idea of the sound balance / reduction / elimination of drone desires,... but this just seems unbalanced.

=Steve
The following users liked this post:
Robocop305 (07-18-2021)
Old 09-26-2018, 03:50 PM
JB911
Rennlist Member

Received 431 Likes on 307 Posts

BTW, AWE sells a Switchpath system for Gt3, side with valves and center delete, so in essence it's a straight pipe with valves, kind of what I thought of doing-valved deletes with my FVD center delete. So I guess they're the only ones to offer side+center delete in a kit. They don't seem to sell the valved sides alone-
I haven't seen a review or video on their exhaust and what it sounds like-
Old 09-26-2018, 03:59 PM
MJFDDS
Rennlist Member

Received 38 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm not sure to be honest. Been running it this way for 3 years with no issues. Maybe someone else with better technical knowledge can chime in.

Originally Posted by bweSteve
and the differences in back pressure between your left bank, verses your right bank, doesn't affect the balance of the motor, let alone the difference in heat on each side?

I'm no mechanical engineer or automotive technician,... but I would not run my motor that way. I get the idea of the sound balance / reduction / elimination of drone desires,... but this just seems unbalanced.

=Steve
Old 09-27-2018, 03:04 PM
bovien
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by MJFDDS
Interesting idea. Will try it out, if I do not go ahead with the Sharkwerks
Old 09-27-2018, 05:49 PM
steve porter
Rennlist Member

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Zero drone with the Sharkwerks Centre bypass on mine.
Old 09-27-2018, 06:04 PM
joejenie
Rennlist Member

Received 755 Likes on 384 Posts

I have a Sharkwerks center bypass coming off my 2011 GT3RS with 10k miles. PM me if you are interested.
Old 09-27-2018, 07:15 PM
EMpunker
Rennlist Member

Received 226 Likes on 138 Posts

I just had the Sharkwerks center muffler bypass installed on mine and I love it.

More aggressive sound and a little louder than stock but isn't obnoxious and doesn't drone.

Also retains valve operation with the Sport button and is CA SMOG legal.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Difference in note/sound between center muffler bypass systems?