Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Crack in the waterpump housing

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 10:13 AM
JarmoL
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Crack in the waterpump housing

I posted this in 996 GT forum but thought it might be good idea to have it here as well:
Ohh.. found a crack in my waterpump housing. It's where the engine carrier studs goes through into the case. The engine carrier is attachded with four studs. It's the surroundings of two upper studs that are cracked.
Anyone seen this before?
Anyone with used spare? My car is 996.1 GT3 and PET shows diffrent number from MY -01 onwards.. I wonder what's the difference to MY -00??

Anyone here who has removed this housing for welding the coolant pipes? Any hints separating it from the case? Should I pull the engine carrier studs to help to wiggle it off? Any clearance problems with crank pulley?

Old 09-17-2018, 11:01 AM
Mike Billings
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

On a 997 turbo I left the studs and pulley as they are.

I don't recall that the housing put up much of a fight.

Do I see a hose still attached to the thermostat housing?

I'm sure you know that that thermostat housing has to clear the alternator and idler pulley.
Old 09-17-2018, 12:03 PM
JarmoL
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

Yeah, had to stop working because I didn't have correct socket for the idler pulley. That's why they are still on.
Now trying to figure out what to do with that cracked housing. Or maybe more importantly.. to figure out if there is any further damage anywhere in the case.

Quick Reply: Crack in the waterpump housing