Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Poor gas post storage?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2018, 10:32 PM
point2point
Rennlist Member

Received 164 Likes on 63 Posts
Default Poor gas post storage?

I ended up storing my 997.2 longer than originally planned. It sat for 3.5 months on a battery tender and with 3/4 tank of gas. I drove it for the first time today since storing it. It felt very sluggish and sounded off song. After taking it around the block, I pulled back into the garage and shut it off.

I’m guessing the poor running is due to the old gas. Is it safe to gently run down the tank or should I have the tank drained?
Old 09-12-2018, 11:06 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 503 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by point2point
I ended up storing my 997.2 longer than originally planned. It sat for 3.5 months on a battery tender and with 3/4 tank of gas. I drove it for the first time today since storing it. It felt very sluggish and sounded off song. After taking it around the block, I pulled back into the garage and shut it off.

I’m guessing the poor running is due to the old gas. Is it safe to gently run down the tank or should I have the tank drained?
That’s not that long to sit. When you say runs poor do you mean a little sluggish or poorly like a misfire? I’d put some water displacement/octane freshener in the tank like Star Brite or equivalent add a few gallons of fresh 92 and let it rip....

If it’s a misfire or fouled plug etc. thats different..
Old 09-13-2018, 01:02 AM
bweSteve
Rennlist Member

Received 1,038 Likes on 658 Posts

Sounds like the octane probably dropped significantly as today's fuels have so little shelf life. I've stored several 911's for longer than that, but with some Cam2 purple (110) mixed in & have never had any problems.

If you have a race track near you, grab a gallon or so of 110 & see if that brings er back to life. Like Adair said, if its a clear engine issue, than fuel bets are off.
Old 09-13-2018, 01:35 PM
noro
Instructor

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

2 mistakes.. no Stabil (or similar) and the 3/4th of tank. You have allowed space for moisture to build up which eventually makes its way to the bottom of the tank because gasoline floats up and ethanol found in gas today attracts moisture.

For best storage results:
1. Just before storage begins, on your last tank add Chevron Techron injector cleaner and run that tank (almost to the end)
2. Change the oil (after techron ran through as it dilutes the oil with whatever makes it past the piston walls)
3. Add Stabil and fill the tank to the max. Driving around couple of minutes so that the Stabil makes its way into the injection system.. this is where the gunk is most problematic
4. Store the car... close off exhaust pipes so that criters don't find a cozy home in your muffler ... imagine what a wake up call it will be for them on the 1st crank in spring.
Old 09-14-2018, 12:27 AM
point2point
Rennlist Member

Will take care of this in a few days. Can’t even find premium gas right now. Florence is about to hit.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:52 AM
point2point
Rennlist Member

Florence effects calmed down enough for me to venture out in the GT3. Topped up with fresh 93. No longer feeling sluggish!

Quick Reply: Poor gas post storage?