Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Quick headers tutorial needed please...

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2018, 05:43 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 500 Likes on 251 Posts
Default Quick headers tutorial needed please...

Anybody feel like giving me a quick tutorial on header setups? Pros/Cons of brands? You can keep it simple, I can do the research.

-Best value?
-Do NOT want to increase sound levels from what I have now (stock w/SharkWerks BP).
-If the side mufflers are removed for weight can the car be kept quiet enough?
-I need to retain CATS right?
-Benefits of long tube? Probably self explanatory..

This would be in conjunction with a sharwerks tune. And yes, I know they back EVOM products....

Thanks in advance!
Old 09-02-2018, 11:26 PM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

Bypass + headers = loud. Very loud. If noise levels are a concern of yours, don't even bother.
Old 09-03-2018, 09:03 AM
RobT 394
Rennlist Member

Received 94 Likes on 58 Posts

Stock: Side and center mufflers = heavy and quiet, even with valves open
Bypass: remove center = louder, throaty sound valves still work
Side delete: no side muffler, has a center muffler, some setups retain valves and some do not. About same sound level as bypass, perhaps a little more quiet, lots of weight and heat gone
Race: cats only, no side and no center. Great for track, too loud for street [for most]

Side delete is my favorite for a DD.
Old 09-03-2018, 02:13 PM
Modena 1
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by RobT 394
Side delete: no side muffler, has a center muffler, some setups retain valves and some do not. About same sound level as bypass, perhaps a little more quiet, lots of weight and heat gone
Race: cats only, no side and no center. Great for track, too loud for street [for most]

Jumping on the band wagon from the OP...

Doesn't removing just the side mufflers create a dip in tq curve and potentially blow out your center muffler? I had read that a while back.

Ty
Old 09-03-2018, 02:17 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Originally Posted by RobT 394

Thanks, that's what I was looking for..

I love the idea of a side delete. I'm guessing you lose the bypass and add center muffler back in? I do love the sound of my car as is with the bypass and if I can stay around that level or slightly quieter (but louder and better sounding than stock) I would be happy. I believe being able to continue to use a valve is also a plus. If I can make it a better DD that's also a plus. That combined with the headers would be a great setup. The issue as always is getting a chance to see or hear a set up like this before dropping the money. Nothing worse than getting 5K plus down the road and not being happy with the setup...
Old 09-03-2018, 02:24 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Originally Posted by Modena 1
Jumping on the band wagon from the OP...

Doesn't removing just the side mufflers create a dip in tq curve and potentially blow out your center muffler? I had read that a while back.

Ty
Thx. Always a concern when you stray from what the factory designed into the car of this level, definitely don't want to create an issue. Let's keep this thread going...
Old 09-03-2018, 06:27 PM
redmonkey928
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 226 Posts

From what your saying, your searching for something that unfortunately you've already got the best setup for.

Side bypass, you will not be happy with the drone - WOT it's loud as well (probably similar dB but loud in a different way).

Long tube headers, even louder, so I would scratch that.

My recommendation would be, keep what you have (SW bypass is the best setup for DD, some added sound - the GMG and other style bypasses are louder than the SW). The only real replacement I see being suitable is a $11k option, Akrapovic Evolution system (full headers w/cats, rear and side mufflers).

Good luck with the decision.
Old 09-03-2018, 07:51 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Originally Posted by redmonkey928
From what your saying, your searching for something that unfortunately you've already got the best setup for.

Side bypass, you will not be happy with the drone - WOT it's loud as well (probably similar dB but loud in a different way).

Long tube headers, even louder, so I would scratch that.

My recommendation would be, keep what you have (SW bypass is the best setup for DD, some added sound - the GMG and other style bypasses are louder than the SW). The only real replacement I see being suitable is a $11k option, Akrapovic Evolution system (full headers w/cats, rear and side mufflers).

Good luck with the decision.
Zero interest in drone or raised sound levels.
Old 09-04-2018, 12:12 AM
redmonkey928
Rennlist Member

Received 317 Likes on 226 Posts

IMO I'd say stay away from side bypass, go center bypass of a full exhaust system such as the Akrapovic. I had that setup on a non-RS 997.2 for awhile and it was an awesome sound (and livable on a DD basis).

Get the exhaust setup for some of the MN fall weather/scenery driving
Old 09-04-2018, 05:05 AM
a_Y
Racer

Received 22 Likes on 7 Posts

Personally speaking, I like side muffler delete with valves. There is minimal drone and the tone is much throatier. If budget4 permits, I would go Dundon catted.
Old 09-04-2018, 04:55 PM
TheSilverFox
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by a_Y
Personally speaking, I like side muffler delete with valves. There is minimal drone and the tone is much throatier. If budget4 permits, I would go Dundon catted.
Agreed, Dundon catted with valved would be ideal, relieve the car of weight and heat. Currently have Dundon setup and first rate quality products. Perfect fitment which more than I can say for other aftermarket setups I have on other P Cars.....
Old 09-04-2018, 05:05 PM
WantA997
Rennlist Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts

Dundon = $$, but that would be my first pick as well. Happy with my GMG headers for the time being.
Old 09-05-2018, 01:26 AM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Still learning...

Dundon “catted” must be their headers with cats, side muffler delete w/valves? and a center muffler? Is that right? Drone? I’ll do the research tomorrow. Everybody loves them, seems like they are now leading the way in several GT car areas...
Old 09-05-2018, 08:50 AM
TheSilverFox
Rennlist Member

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
Still learning...

Dundon “catted” must be their headers with cats, side muffler delete w/valves? and a center muffler? Is that right? Drone? I’ll do the research tomorrow. Everybody loves them, seems like they are now leading the way in several GT car areas...
Yes that is correct. No drone and they stand behind the product.
Old 09-05-2018, 10:06 AM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Originally Posted by TheSilverFox

Yes that is correct. No drone and they stand behind the product.
Thanks!

Quick Reply: Quick headers tutorial needed please...