Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Coincidence or there is truth to it?

Old 07-16-2018, 09:51 PM
jonwb
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Adair
That said, when or does a guy know to go from 997RS to 991RS? It's the million dollar question that one car guys have to deal with.
It's funny how our deep questions must sound to regulars. Like these are serious contemplations. It's like debating who's the prettier supermodel. Interest discussion, but everyone's a winner.

I sometimes think I should sell my NB997.1GT3 and find a driver RS. Then I drive and I'm like wtf for? This thing is awesome.
Old 07-16-2018, 10:57 PM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Jrtaylor9

correct. when the road condition is right... i was driving with a good friend today 570S and CGT.. the road weather were all perfect.

RS6 can very well be ONE perfect car if you only have one
Old 07-17-2018, 12:13 AM
hillsdonsmith
Pro

Received 16 Likes on 10 Posts

How did you like 570S? Obviously not the “occasion” that CGT is but in driving one a couple of times, it seems like a good all-rounder - fast, nice fast shifts, nice steering, good handling, sounds pretty good ($hit brakes...) yet very comfortable for in town.

Was behind a new GT2 RS last night - now THAT’s an animal!
Old 07-17-2018, 12:15 AM
maxbhp
Instructor

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Jrtaylor9
I was just talking to my passenger after a long day in CGT. CGT/997rs/etc; cars that make your hair stand up at a track or non-congested twisty road. When stuck in one of those cars on I-95 accident/traffic jamb and 90 degree temps, i think to myself "why do I own these masochistic, clunky *** antiques when a 991rs or 981 spyder navigate the journey AND allow you to have fun?" Then I'll hit a sweet stretch of open, scenic twisty road and think, "this clunky antique is BRILLIANT.......I need MORE OF THEM!"

Conversely, I'll be in a modern 991/981 a few times too many and think "this car is too easy, lacks any challenge and has no soul.....I should sell it and just stick with the old, fun stuff". Then I'll navigate rush hour, a conference call and a cup of coffee on my way to a driving event and think "I could sell my entire collection and just keep this one car.........it is a BRILLIANT piece of engineering to offer as much comfort and performance in one package.

Lesson 1: no 1 car hits all the spots.

Lesson 2: if TRULY only 1 car, the new stuff is a better Swiss Army knife than the old (and likely that continues)

Lesson 3: the masochistic cars, when you hit the sweet spot, cannot be beat for that split second in time. And that one second keeps some of us coming back for more even though the other 90% of the time they are PITA that 90% of the population would not even consider putting up with.

They both have their place and are like comparing apples and oranges in my mind. Just as comparing an early 911 and 997 are.
Extremely well said.
There are some people that would only have an air cooled car if it had to be only one. To me the 997 is the perfect Porsche to have and the best balance of the 911 flavor over the last 60 years (911 and G bodies and 993s virtually the same, 996 still figuring out watercooled and not to everyone's style, 997 they got it right......991 great but too big and not as engaging.)

With that logic, the GT variant of the 997 should be the best balance and ultimate Porsche if you could only have one.
Old 07-17-2018, 02:51 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,480 Likes on 2,269 Posts

Originally Posted by hillsdonsmith

How did you like 570S? Obviously not the “occasion” that CGT is but in driving one a couple of times, it seems like a good all-rounder - fast, nice fast shifts, nice steering, good handling, sounds pretty good ($hit brakes...) yet very comfortable for in town.

Was behind a new GT2 RS last night - now THAT’s an animal!
570 was really nice and smooth.
sounded pretty good too.
Old 07-17-2018, 06:22 AM
Izzone
Nordschleife Master

Received 291 Likes on 146 Posts

If street driving,...in city....g63 is best car made

for twisty roads 997.2 RS if no care of miles. I’ve driven a few 997.2 RS 4.0, the difference is so minor, that car is just for collecting

on a race track anything but a street car...the new RS is dangerously fast to be lapping without a cage
Old 07-17-2018, 01:26 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 500 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by jonwb
It's funny how our deep questions must sound to regulars. Like these are serious contemplations. It's like debating who's the prettier supermodel. Interest discussion, but everyone's a winner.

I sometimes think I should sell my NB997.1GT3 and find a driver RS. Then I drive and I'm like wtf for? This thing is awesome.
So damn true. I'll go through periods where I grab the key, walk in the garage and take the car out for a 1 hour blast down the WI side of the river, come back park the car and say I am NEVER selling this car! The next day, I am sending an email to someone with a 991RS asking if they are interested in a trade! I guess it's the nature of the game. I am such a fan of GT cars (not just Porsche) and feel like it's a goal to try as many as I can before it's time for the final dirt nap. It's like going to Baskin Robbins, one day it's orange sherbet, the next it's mint chocolate chip. I guess it's a great problem to have...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Coincidence or there is truth to it?