PCCB rotor life

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2018, 01:43 PM
Four Liter
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PCCB rotor life

Hi Guys ,
I have looked at a few 997.1 RS and most have PCCB's . For cars that are street driven only what kind of life could I expect from the rotors ? When I configured my 991 RS I did the standard steel brakes to not have to think about expensive brake jobs in the future , but you don't have much choice on what you find on used cars . With 10 or 15K street miles any idea when I'd be looking at replacing them - low end and high end mileage wise ? Is there a measurement that is used as a guideline to see what is left ? - are there other issues to look for ? Thanks for the input .
Bryan
Old 06-26-2018, 02:59 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 187 Posts

Street driven PCCBs should easily last 100K+ miles. Some people replace the pads (use OEM!) when they reach 50% and claim that it helps reduce rotor wear.

At the track the two main factors that reduce PCCB rotor life for some people are more aggressive pad compound and not enough cool down time after a session.

If you're concerned about the rotors you can always remove them and run steelies instead.
Old 06-26-2018, 03:56 PM
Four Liter
Pro

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ilko
Street driven PCCBs should easily last 100K+ miles. Some people replace the pads (use OEM!) when they reach 50% and claim that it helps reduce rotor wear.

At the track the two main factors that reduce PCCB rotor life for some people are more aggressive pad compound and not enough cool down time after a session.

If you're concerned about the rotors you can always remove them and run steelies instead.
Thanks for the input . The 2 cars I've looked at have zero over revs in any range so it's hard to imagine the brakes got much of a workout . The advice on the pads makes sense too . I try to keep the pads on all my cars fresh so that the pistons stay retracted into the body of the caliper .
Old 06-26-2018, 06:16 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

main issue with low pads is more heat get into the rotors and calipers.
the 997 cars have a visual indicator on the rotor faces
there are 3 'dots' around the outer edges on both sides of the rotor
these wear at different rates
when all 3 have a 'rough' finish the rotors are gone or near gone
if all 3 or 2 of the 3 have a shiny look and look like the rest of the rotor, the rotors are fine
If the car hasn't been tracked much, and only has 10-15k, its highly likely the pccb are in good shape, for a long time
Old 06-26-2018, 08:11 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 506 Likes on 256 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
main issue with low pads is more heat get into the rotors and calipers.
the 997 cars have a visual indicator on the rotor faces
there are 3 'dots' around the outer edges on both sides of the rotor
these wear at different rates
when all 3 have a 'rough' finish the rotors are gone or near gone
if all 3 or 2 of the 3 have a shiny look and look like the rest of the rotor, the rotors are fine
If the car hasn't been tracked much, and only has 10-15k, its highly likely the pccb are in good shape, for a long time
IMO the PCCB's work very well, bring down that rotating mass etc. and add a little value to a car. That said, the high mileage track guys prefer steelies for consumable reasons. People may also spec steelies simply to save the 7 or 8K.
Old 06-27-2018, 10:20 AM
FLT6SPD
Rennlist Member

Received 592 Likes on 259 Posts

I have a .1 pccb with 25k street miles and the rotors are a mirror.

obvious signs are delaminates that look like patches of fiber are missing. You can weigh them as well. A pair of calipers on them do not mean anything.
Old 06-27-2018, 01:22 PM
Fisher
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts

Picked my 997.1 GT3 up 8 years ago with 11K miles. Track rats on this forum were talking so much crap about PCCB wear that I immediately bought a new set of OEM pads in preparation for the supposedly inevitable need to replace. That was 42K miles ago and my rotors look new with no deterioration. They stay clean because, unlike steel rotors, there is no steel dust to rust and corrode wheel assembly parts. About every 10K miles I remove wheels, usually with tire changes, and check wear. I check top and bottom on each pad because of the claimed increased wear at the leading edge, which turns out to be worst case about 0.1 to 0.2 mm. At 43K miles the worst wear of all 8 pads was the left rear inside and outside at 10.5 mm top and 10.6 mm bottom out of new pad thickness of 11.3 mm. I will likely be flipping the pads soon. Probably at about 55K miles. New pads will likely be installed sometime in the next 60 to 80K miles.
Old 06-28-2018, 10:52 AM
Johnny DB
Rennlist Member

Received 126 Likes on 101 Posts

Originally Posted by grizfish
Picked my 997.1 GT3 up 8 years ago with 11K miles. Track rats on this forum were talking so much crap about PCCB wear that I immediately bought a new set of OEM pads in preparation for the supposedly inevitable need to replace. That was 42K miles ago and my rotors look new with no deterioration. They stay clean because, unlike steel rotors, there is no steel dust to rust and corrode wheel assembly parts. About every 10K miles I remove wheels, usually with tire changes, and check wear. I check top and bottom on each pad because of the claimed increased wear at the leading edge, which turns out to be worst case about 0.1 to 0.2 mm. At 43K miles the worst wear of all 8 pads was the left rear inside and outside at 10.5 mm top and 10.6 mm bottom out of new pad thickness of 11.3 mm. I will likely be flipping the pads soon. Probably at about 55K miles. New pads will likely be installed sometime in the next 60 to 80K miles.
Are those track miles? IF street driven, how aggressive are you on brakes?
Old 06-29-2018, 02:48 AM
Fisher
Pro

Received 69 Likes on 27 Posts

My post was a response to the thread starter's question: "I have looked at a few 997.1 RS and most have PCCB's . For cars that are street driven only what kind of life could I expect from the rotors ?"
I live near the Santa Monica Mountains, north of Malibu and enjoy driving the canyons early AM on week days. So, most of my spirited driving lets the brakes cool down between heavy use. Track racing is a different ball game where more heat is continually added, not letting the rotors and pads cool down. You've likely seen track videos where brakes are glowing from heat. I don't do that.

I agree with Ilko, "Street driven PCCBs should easily last 100K+ miles."
Old 07-19-2018, 11:19 AM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

RB Pccb replacement rotors:
https://www.racingbrake.com/category-s/7590.htm
Old 07-19-2018, 07:58 PM
LK9999
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome product and alternative!
Old 07-19-2018, 08:43 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Although these replacement rotors are made for a direct replacement to pccb but you may want to take note on these distinct feature:

Discs are made with continuous fiber (stronger and tougher than OE's chipped fiber).

Discs are designed by RB with angle vanes (vs. OE's straight vanes to substantially improve the cooling)

Front rotor hats are precisely machined from forged aluminum alloy for the improved strength and rigidity.

Rear rotor hats are made with composite metal (forged aluminum shell with iron liner insert for emergency brake) vs. OE's stainless steel which can save some 4-5 lbs per rotor.

RB-CCB rotors are made with the latest CCM technology that can easily outperform original pccb with durability you can expect - Not just for street, on tracks as well.

Affordable
-Cost less than 1/2 of OE), over the time they cost less than iron rotors (in replacement and down time)

Easy to use and maintain
-No need to baby sit or weigh them, install and use them just like iron rotor, run them in any weather conditions and/or occasions - Street/Tracks
Old 07-24-2018, 01:44 PM
rael
Rennlist Member

Received 122 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by RacingBrake
Although these replacement rotors are made for a direct replacement to pccb but you may want to take note on these distinct feature:

Discs are made with continuous fiber (stronger and tougher than OE's chipped fiber).

Discs are designed by RB with angle vanes (vs. OE's straight vanes to substantially improve the cooling)

Front rotor hats are precisely machined from forged aluminum alloy for the improved strength and rigidity.

Rear rotor hats are made with composite metal (forged aluminum shell with iron liner insert for emergency brake) vs. OE's stainless steel which can save some 4-5 lbs per rotor.

RB-CCB rotors are made with the latest CCM technology that can easily outperform original pccb with durability you can expect - Not just for street, on tracks as well.

Affordable
-Cost less than 1/2 of OE), over the time they cost less than iron rotors (in replacement and down time)

Easy to use and maintain
-No need to baby sit or weigh them, install and use them just like iron rotor, run them in any weather conditions and/or occasions - Street/Tracks
do you recommend OEM pads with your rotors?
Old 07-25-2018, 04:34 PM
RacingBrake
Former Vendor

Originally Posted by rael
do you recommend OEM pads with your rotors?
OE pads for CCM rotors are a compromising compound for both street and track, so for street driving OE pads should be fine w/o any concern. But if you are looking to track with CCB (pccb, Brembo, ST, or RB), the pad selection and its compatibility to CCM rotors becomes crucial because it can affect the pad wear rate, and rotor life.

When Porsche first introduced CCB (pccb) on its 996 GT3 in early 2000, the rotor was fragile, prong to break and chip coupled with extremely high replacement cost so "shelf them" for future resale and convert to iron rotors seemed to be a common consensus in track community, but now you have more choice on rotor in material and construction, all of them are made to the later CCB technology (Aftermarket or OE) so with proper pads installation the CCB set up has become more accepted by other OE than Porsche and Ferrari (see below*), and has proven can last longer than original/earlier pccb, and cost less than iron set up (over the time in replacement).

OE CCB default:

Corvette ZR1 (C6/C7)
Camaro Z28

OE CCB Optional:

Dodge Viper
BMW M3/M4/M5

Aftermarket CCB Upgrade Option (Not available from OE - Offered 7 Shipped by RB)

Audi RS5/RS7
Camaro G6 ZL1
Dodge Hellcat
Lexus RCF
Mercedes S (Older models); GTS
Mustang GT350/GT500/550
Nissan GTR
Tesla S

*Other rare/exotic cars such as Aston Martin, Bently, Lambo, McLarne R.R. etc. are excluded from this discussion.

We are changing the way how people think about CCB brakes.
Old 07-25-2018, 06:55 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

RacingBrake

Can you provide info on differences between your Ceramic rotors and Surface Transforms rotors. Im not looking to create a one is better than the other discussion, I just want to know what the technical differences could be.

Quick Reply: PCCB rotor life