Brembo Type III info

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2018, 12:32 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 40 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by yokevlee
how do brembo type 3 and type 5 compare to ap J hook in terms of overall performance, durability and weight? both seem to be popular choices.
From a durability standpoint, the actual discs themselves.. .Brembo Type-3 and Type-V discs are the same quality and same material of that from Brembo Racing discs (Nascar, IMSA, etc) and AP’s line of discs are different qualities based on what your buying for… their “racing” discs are different than their production car upgrades/disc swaps in-terms of the quality and material (I’ve heard this directly from them in years past)… so from a construction standpoint, you really don’t know what you’re getting, as they don’t pour their own discs like Brembo does in its own foundry.

In-terms of the disc finish (J-Hook vs Type3/Type5) this has to do with mechanical bite, pad wear, and overall friction area on the disc. The J-Hook is very abusive on pads, so wear increases.. but you get a lot of mechanical bite from the leading edge of the j-hook scrubbing against the brake pad. You also tend to get this right around the disc due to pad deposits from the scrubbing of the disc:

The Type-3 Disc, gives great bite characteristics without being too abusive on pads (Better longevity), while also creating great pad “release” characteristics due to the amount of leading edges. Drivers tend to lean this way most often. We do have a Type-5 which is an endurance design, mainly due to how well they manage pad wear, the curved slot eases onto the pad and eases off the pad as its used, extending the wear of the pads, while giving the most “disc surface area”, without a lot of cut-outs/groves on the disc.

The type-3 is usually the go-to, and in some cases we can recommend type-5.
Old 10-08-2018, 10:15 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 604 Likes on 342 Posts

There is a great deal of misinformation and opinion in MJSpeed's post, although it is stated as fact. We (Essex Parts Services) are the exclusive North American importer and distributor for AP Racing competition products. We bring in many thousands of discs, calipers, clutches, clutch control units, etc. We directly service professional racing teams in NASCAR, IMSA, IndyCar, World Challenge, etc. We also offer a wide range of brake products to club racers, HPDE enthusiasts, etc. We are always in direct weekly communication with the managing director at AP Racing, who reports directly to senior management at Brembo. We also have a full-time AP Racing engineer on staff in our office, who has been with the company since 1978! His office is two doors down from mine, so the information below is direct from the source on a daily basis.

Originally Posted by MJSpeed
From a durability standpoint, the actual discs themselves.. .Brembo Type-3 and Type-V discs are the same quality and same material of that from Brembo Racing discs (Nascar, IMSA, etc) and AP’s line of discs are different qualities based on what your buying for… their “racing” discs are different than their production car upgrades/disc swaps in-terms of the quality and material (I’ve heard this directly from them in years past)… so from a construction standpoint, you really don’t know what you’re getting, as they don’t pour their own discs like Brembo does in its own foundry.
  • AP Racing is actually owned by Brembo, and they share a number of resources.
  • Both companies pour their discs at foundries all over the globe, so discs from both companies come from all over the place.
  • It is true that both companies also use different metallurgy for different categories of discs. For a whole bunch of reasons (cost, intended usage, warranty NVH claims, etc.), an OEM disc for a mass production car is not going to have identical metallurgy or features when compared to a disc designed for the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Some street brake systems from both companies also don't have all of the hardcore racing features. Again though, Essex imports and distributes AP Racing's competition products (not street), and all of our offerings for the Porsche market are embedded with AP's latest racing technology.
  • When you purchase an AP Racing disc, you can most certainly be confident in what you're getting, which is one of the best brake discs in the world. To say that one doesn't know what they're getting is completely false. AP has a stringent quality control procedure in place for all of their products. When we receive their products, we have our own redundant set of QC procedures in place to make sure that our customers are getting the best possible product. AP Racing has a storied history as one of, if not the, finest brake suppliers in the world. They wouldn't risk tarnishing that reputation by offering sub-par products with their name on them. Furthermore, Brembo as the parent company wouldn't permit AP Racing to sell sub-par products to their customers. AP is one of their halo brands as the technology leader in the market.
  • We (Essex) directly supply both pro and amateur racers/enthusiast. We manufacture disc hats/brackets, perform caliper/master cylinder rebuilds, etc. The same materials and designs are used in both venues, and our same employees work on those products (so you can be sure you're dealing with professionals who do this work all day, every day). When a GT3 owner buys one of our disc sets or brake kits, they can be assured that they are getting the highest quality product designed and built to last. Those same products could be used to win in professional race, and they are every single week.

In-terms of the disc finish (J-Hook vs Type3/Type5) this has to do with mechanical bite, pad wear, and overall friction area on the disc. The J-Hook is very abusive on pads, so wear increases.. but you get a lot of mechanical bite from the leading edge of the j-hook scrubbing against the brake pad. You also tend to get this right around the disc due to pad deposits from the scrubbing of the disc.

The Type-3 Disc, gives great bite characteristics without being too abusive on pads (Better longevity), while also creating great pad “release” characteristics due to the amount of leading edges. Drivers tend to lean this way most often. We do have a Type-5 which is an endurance design, mainly due to how well they manage pad wear, the curved slot eases onto the pad and eases off the pad as its used, extending the wear of the pads, while giving the most “disc surface area”, without a lot of cut-outs/groves on the disc.
  • The J Hook is not any more abusive on pads than a Type 3 disc would be. The purpose of the J Hook slot pattern isn't just about pad pad. One of the primary purposes is to distribute heat evenly throughout the disc, which it does very effectively. Even heat distribution leads to fewer cracks and a more stable disc face, which actually reduces issues with pad deposits (see the info below from our website). The J Hooks do provide lots of leading edges for the pads to bite into, but so do the Brembo Type 3 discs. In our experience the benefits of a disc slot pattern that has many leading edges outweighs the marginal increase in pad wear that they may create. Let's also keep in mind that Porsche ships its cars from the factory with holes in them, which have even more leading edges than any slot pattern.
  • If you visit the 991 GT3 forum and do a search on Essex, or simply ask about our discs, you'll see tons of feedback stating that our AP Racing discs are some of the most durable on the market, and that pads last a long time with them as well. I'd venture to say that our J Hook discs mated to Ferodo DS1.11 pads is the most popular setup in the 991 GT3 market currently. You can see lots examples and customer reviews like this one on our Essex blog as well.
Hopefully that clears up any questions regarding the AP Racing products we offer to the Porsche market. You can see more details on our 997 GT3 discs in the links below. The product descriptions have lots of information on the features and benefits:

From our website:

Exclusive AP Racing J Hook Slot Pattern

When you cut a slot or drill a hole in a disc you impact heat transfer. The area around the slot or hole acts as a cool spot when the disc heats up, which is not ideal. Ideally, heat is distributed uniformly around the disc so it can be hit with the cooling air that is pumping through the disc, radiate outwards away from the disc, etc. Cool spots create stress risers and increase the likelihood of the disc cracking. They also cause the face of the disc to distort unevenly, leading to uneven pad deposits, vibration, and judder.The OEM discs avoid this problem by simply leaving the face blank. While the risk for NVH goes down, so does the pad bite and feel of the disc through the brake pedal. Competitive aftermarket offerings typically have straight slots, which tend to leave cool spots across the disc face between the slots.

During exhaustive R&D testing, AP's J Hook design was found to create a constant pathway of evenly distorted material on the face of the disc. The hooks are spaced out as evenly as possible both around the circumference of the disc, as well as from the inside edge (where the hat attaches) to outer edge, with a slight overlap to promote even heat distribution/distortion. In addition to reducing cracking, the even heating of the disc also helps provide an even transfer layer of pad material on the disc when you bed them in.

Additionally, the J Hook slot pattern produces a greater number of leading edges for the pads to bite into vs. a traditional curved slot pattern, and particularly a plain-faced disc. While this may lead to slightly more whirring or scraping noises from the discs when applying the brakes, the benefits of more even heat distribution, less propensity to crack, cleaner pad material transfer during bed-in, and more bite far outweigh the slight increase in NVH for the serious enthusiast.

Essex Designed AP Racing Radi-CAL Competition Brake Kits & 2-piece J Hook Discs
Ferodo Racing Brake Pads
Spiegler Stainless Steel Brake Lines
704-824-6030
jeff.ritter@essexparts.com

Old 10-13-2018, 09:53 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

^^I’m stating facts based on my experience and conversations with individuals who’ve worked at both companies and continue to work there.

There ARE differences between racing rotors and replacement/performance rotors, which in reading your post, you agreed with. Brembo Type-III and Type-V are racing rotors. I’ve never said what you sell are not good racing products. Therefore, stating whom (race series) you supply and what products you provide is interesting but not relevant.

They (Brembo vs everything else) are poured at different foundries and have different metallurgical qualities, which again you agreed with. By the way, this info was given to me by a Brembo executive who’s worked at both companies and as you said Brembo owns both companies, so he would know. “Buy either one, we make money, I’m just letting you know there IS a difference.” I think of it as Cadillac v. Buick, buy either one and GM makes money but there’s a difference.

I don't tell anyone what to purchase with their money, I give them facts, information, and our opinion based on our experience. I don’t own Brembo or AP or Giro, so I’m not going to argue which one to buy.

There are differences and though you may want to call it misinformation, you agreed with a lot of it; different foundries, different metallurgical make up, Brembo owns both companies, J-Hooks are about mechanical bite and their leading edges “lead to more whirring and scraping”, and in turn more wear (though you dismiss it by saying this is offset by the benefit for the “serious enthusiast”), there’s a difference between racing and replacement/performance parts, etc...

AP Racing’s RACING products may be good, but imho Brembo is the standard. This doesn’t mean it (Brembo) is the correct choice for everyone. Besides, they’re both better than the OEM crap.

I will say though, you can’t go wrong with Brembo. Just read the posts from members who use Brembo.

More importantly, why is anyone sitting here reading this **** instead of driving the hell out of their brakes and forming their own opinions. Oh I forgot, if you read it on the Internet it’s gotta be true!
Old 10-13-2018, 10:53 AM
HASauto
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Anyone????
I have Brembo type 3 hat.. where can I purchase new rings for Them? Are they the same are giro discs? Can I just mount giro discs on the Brembo type 3 hats?
thxs
Tyler
Old 10-13-2018, 10:58 AM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by HASauto
Anyone????
I have Brembo type 3 hat.. where can I purchase new rings for Them? Are they the same are giro discs? Can I just mount giro discs on the Brembo type 3 hats?
thxs
Tyler
Hey Tyler,

I just sent you a pm with my number. Call me Monday and I’ll get you a quote from Brembo.

Cheers,

MJ
Old 10-15-2018, 10:44 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

^^I’m stating facts based on my experience and conversations with individuals who’ve worked at both companies and continue to work there.

There ARE differences between racing rotors and replacement/performance rotors, which in reading your post, you agreed with. Brembo Type-III and Type-V are racing rotors. I’ve never said what you sell are not good racing products. Therefore, stating whom (race series) you supply and what products you provide is interesting but not relevant.

They (Brembo vs everything else) are poured at different foundries and have different metallurgical qualities, which again you agreed with. By the way, this info was given to me by a Brembo executive who’s worked at both companies and as you said Brembo owns both companies, so he would know. “Buy either one, we make money, I’m just letting you know there IS a difference.” I think of it as Cadillac v. Buick, buy either one and GM makes money but there’s a difference.

I don't tell anyone what to purchase with their money, I give them facts, information, and our opinion based on our experience. I don’t own Brembo or AP or Giro, so I’m not going to argue which one to buy.

There are differences and though you may want to call it misinformation, you agreed with a lot of it; different foundries, different metallurgical make up, Brembo owns both companies, J-Hooks are about mechanical bite and their leading edges “lead to more whirring and scraping”, and in turn more wear (though you dismiss it by saying this is offset by the benefit for the “serious enthusiast”), there’s a difference between racing and replacement/performance parts, etc...

AP Racing’s RACING products may be good, but imho Brembo is the standard. This doesn’t mean it (Brembo) is the correct choice for everyone. Besides, they’re both better than the OEM crap.

I will say though, you can’t go wrong with Brembo. Just read the posts from members who use Brembo.

More importantly, why is anyone sitting here reading this **** instead of driving the hell out of their brakes and forming their own opinions. Oh I forgot, if you read it on the Internet it’s gotta be true!
My fundamental issue with your posts is that you're insinuating that if people purchase AP Racing discs for their Porsche, they're not getting a top quality racing disc. That just isn't true. The AP Racing J Hooks we sell are specifically spec'd, designed, and manufactured to perform on the racetrack. We have thousands of customers running the J Hook discs we supply. They are top quality, they win races, they last a long time, they are reasonably priced, they don't tear up pads, etc. There is a mountain of real-world evidence on our blog supporting the quality of the discs we offer, and all of that feedback is straight from the mouths of our customers running Porsches, Corvettes, Mustangs, M3s, etc.

See customer feedback here on our Essex blog

I don't have a problem with Brembo, nor do I have a problem with people recommending Brembo, as they do have plenty of satisfied customers. I just want to make it clear that your opinion about AP discs is just that, an opinion, and there is plenty of evidence showing that AP Racing is not an inferior product by any stretch of the imagination. The discs we offer our Porsche customers do everything our customers need, and tend to exceed their expectations more often than not. They also tend to offer lower long-term running costs than Brembo discs when the initial costs, spare iron costs, attachment hardware cost, and dollars per miles of use are factored in.
Old 10-15-2018, 11:57 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

The type-3 is usually the go-to, and in some cases we can recommend type-5.
FWIW on my car with the pads I run (RE10) I preferred the Type 5 in the front with the type 3 in the rear. This gave a slightly more aggressive bias to the rear.
BOTH rotors last a long time with the right pad selection. Type 5 last longer. The sprint/light type 3 (they are 32 vs 34mm) last a little less. but still a LONG time.

I've never run AP but those I know who have like them.
Old 10-16-2018, 04:00 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

I am selling used Type III, see NEW marketplace.

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1104991

Rennline's website is pretty good for Brembo parts.

http://www.rennline.com/Brake-Rotors...products/1051/

Old 10-16-2018, 10:31 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
My fundamental issue with your posts is that you're insinuating that if people purchase AP Racing discs for their Porsche, they're not getting a top quality racing disc. That just isn't true. The AP Racing J Hooks we sell are specifically spec'd, designed, and manufactured to perform on the racetrack. We have thousands of customers running the J Hook discs we supply. They are top quality, they win races, they last a long time, they are reasonably priced, they don't tear up pads, etc. There is a mountain of real-world evidence on our blog supporting the quality of the discs we offer, and all of that feedback is straight from the mouths of our customers running Porsches, Corvettes, Mustangs, M3s, etc.

See customer feedback here on our Essex blog

I don't have a problem with Brembo, nor do I have a problem with people recommending Brembo, as they do have plenty of satisfied customers. I just want to make it clear that your opinion about AP discs is just that, an opinion, and there is plenty of evidence showing that AP Racing is not an inferior product by any stretch of the imagination. The discs we offer our Porsche customers do everything our customers need, and tend to exceed their expectations more often than not. They also tend to offer lower long-term running costs than Brembo discs when the initial costs, spare iron costs, attachment hardware cost, and dollars per miles of use are factored in.
I'm not insinuating anything. Simply pointing out, if someone doesn't buy AP Racing's "racing" product line rotors they are buying a lesser product, as per Brembo/AP Racing executives. I encourage you to re-read my posts and you'll come to the following realization; I've never said anything disparaging about what you sell or recommend, presuming you are, as you stated, selling AP's "racing" product line.

As it pertains to the J-Hook portion of our discussion, I've never questioned the effectiveness or validity for having them on the rotors. I've simply stated, as you have affirmed, there is more wear as a result of having them.

FYI, I've received private inquiries regarding your offerings and my response has always been: I don't know which product line you sell. I presume, contingent upon you being truthful which I have no substantiated reason to believe otherwise, what you sell is AP Racing' "racing" product line.
Old 10-16-2018, 10:34 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by Spyerx
FWIW on my car with the pads I run (RE10) I preferred the Type 5 in the front with the type 3 in the rear. This gave a slightly more aggressive bias to the rear.
BOTH rotors last a long time with the right pad selection. Type 5 last longer. The sprint/light type 3 (they are 32 vs 34mm) last a little less. but still a LONG time.

I've never run AP but those I know who have like them.
Yes, we've had this combo on certain vehicles but have found this is more a choice based on driving style/preference. Either way, can't go wrong with Brembo.
Old 10-17-2018, 08:56 AM
JRitt@essex
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

I'm not insinuating anything. Simply pointing out, if someone doesn't buy AP Racing's "racing" product line rotors they are buying a lesser product, as per Brembo/AP Racing executives. I encourage you to re-read my posts and you'll come to the following realization; I've never said anything disparaging about what you sell or recommend, presuming you are, as you stated, selling AP's "racing" product line.

As it pertains to the J-Hook portion of our discussion, I've never questioned the effectiveness or validity for having them on the rotors. I've simply stated, as you have affirmed, there is more wear as a result of having them.

FYI, I've received private inquiries regarding your offerings and my response has always been: I don't know which product line you sell. I presume, contingent upon you being truthful which I have no substantiated reason to believe otherwise, what you sell is AP Racing' "racing" product line.
Understood, and sorry if I'm coming off as defensive. That's probably because I am, since I've been fighting the same battle online for many years now! Essex Parts Services is the exclusive North American Distributor for AP Racing's competitioncomponents. We don't sell any fluff. I think one of the tough things about this situation is that there are many 'pretender' components on the market claiming to be the real deal. There are AP Racing distributors and dealers putting their own brake and disc kits together with road car components and claiming they are optimized for heavy track use (most notably heavy painted calipers with dust boots, aluminum pistons, no AKB springs, etc.). One of them was creating branded brake kits with cheap 'no-name' discs, and conveniently masking that info in their product description. One had to carefully read the description to understand that the discs weren't what they appeared to be.

To add fuel to the fire, that type of nonsense is also propagated by other brake manufacturers and car manufacturers claiming their tarted-up road car parts are racing components. Brake manufacturers tack an R on the end of their part street caliper number, and all of a sudden that caliper won Le Mans. Frankly, it's no different than Porsche or Chevy telling GT3 and ZR1 owners that carbon ceramic discs are the optimal choice for track use because carbon-carbon discs are used in pro racing. Those are two very different materials that behave completely different under track abuse, and all of our experience with anything related to the track (or our brake dyno which is 20 feet from me) tells us that carbon ceramic is simply not ideal for track abuse. You certainly don't see any mention of that in sales literature for the brand's halo road cars!

Sorry if I came off as a *****. I think it may be because my mom has been in town for a week. We all have our preferred products that we know and trust, and I can respect that. I just wanted to be clear that what Essex is doing isn't the same as what everybody else is doing. We've been in the racing business since 1982. That's where the company was born, and our aftermarket involvement is a much more recent path we've followed. Everything we do revolves around lighter, faster, stronger, and more durable. We're not just bandying the AP Racing brand name about, making false claims about fluffy components. What we offer is designed specifically to handle track abuse. We have a high-horsepower engineering team of our own, a full-time AP Racing engineer in our office, a brake dyno, etc. We service pro teams in North America directly (NASCAR, IMSA, IndyCar, etc.), and in many years we've been AP's largest distributor customer globally. The components we offer our aftermarket customers are designed and built with the same care and eye on performance.

Old 10-17-2018, 01:46 PM
tgavem
Three Wheelin'

Received 196 Likes on 117 Posts

I am selling used Type III, see NEW marketplace.

https://rennlist.com/forums/market/1104991

This is good deal, the rear air duct are $500 on the ECS website, the cup are $300, brembo new are $4000, the dog bone for rear (not in picture) are $200 (part RT2000K)
Old 10-19-2018, 01:01 PM
MJSpeed
The Rebel
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by JRitt@essex
Understood, and sorry if I'm coming off as defensive. That's probably because I am, since I've been fighting the same battle online for many years now! Essex Parts Services is the exclusive North American Distributor for AP Racing's competitioncomponents. We don't sell any fluff. I think one of the tough things about this situation is that there are many 'pretender' components on the market claiming to be the real deal. There are AP Racing distributors and dealers putting their own brake and disc kits together with road car components and claiming they are optimized for heavy track use (most notably heavy painted calipers with dust boots, aluminum pistons, no AKB springs, etc.). One of them was creating branded brake kits with cheap 'no-name' discs, and conveniently masking that info in their product description. One had to carefully read the description to understand that the discs weren't what they appeared to be.

To add fuel to the fire, that type of nonsense is also propagated by other brake manufacturers and car manufacturers claiming their tarted-up road car parts are racing components. Brake manufacturers tack an R on the end of their part street caliper number, and all of a sudden that caliper won Le Mans. Frankly, it's no different than Porsche or Chevy telling GT3 and ZR1 owners that carbon ceramic discs are the optimal choice for track use because carbon-carbon discs are used in pro racing. Those are two very different materials that behave completely different under track abuse, and all of our experience with anything related to the track (or our brake dyno which is 20 feet from me) tells us that carbon ceramic is simply not ideal for track abuse. You certainly don't see any mention of that in sales literature for the brand's halo road cars!

Sorry if I came off as a *****. I think it may be because my mom has been in town for a week. We all have our preferred products that we know and trust, and I can respect that. I just wanted to be clear that what Essex is doing isn't the same as what everybody else is doing. We've been in the racing business since 1982. That's where the company was born, and our aftermarket involvement is a much more recent path we've followed. Everything we do revolves around lighter, faster, stronger, and more durable. We're not just bandying the AP Racing brand name about, making false claims about fluffy components. What we offer is designed specifically to handle track abuse. We have a high-horsepower engineering team of our own, a full-time AP Racing engineer in our office, a brake dyno, etc. We service pro teams in North America directly (NASCAR, IMSA, IndyCar, etc.), and in many years we've been AP's largest distributor customer globally. The components we offer our aftermarket customers are designed and built with the same care and eye on performance.
No need to apologize. All's well that ends well.

Quick Reply: Brembo Type III info