Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 06:28 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

So you get the springs right
you get the rear bar right
you get the monorails right
You still have to get to the damper right - has TPC been able to replicate the 4.0 damping with software?

Ohlins still feel better, I'll say that, even though my seat time in a 4.0 is about 30 mins of street driving... it's GOOD. But Ohlins are better.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:54 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Spyerx
So you get the springs right
you get the rear bar right
you get the monorails right
You still have to get to the damper right - has TPC been able to replicate the 4.0 damping with software?

Ohlins still feel better, I'll say that, even though my seat time in a 4.0 is about 30 mins of street driving... it's GOOD. But Ohlins are better.
c,
have you driven or been in a car w / tpc dsc ?

it makes oem unit feel prehistoric.
i believe they can do better then oem by far.
Old 05-03-2018, 07:59 PM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

I haven't driven a DSC equipped car. I'd like to check one out but as far as 997s go I think Spyrex is my favorite. I love his car. It's what I would have done to my RS had I kept it. I'm attempting to replicate it now using a narrow body which I prefer. However if Spyrex ever sells his 997 I hope I'm the buyer. JBO
Old 05-03-2018, 08:11 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Have not tried tpc but would love to get a ride when all dialed in andcan donsame with mine. I’m sure the computer control is the way of the future but sometimes simple and easy is good too. :-) besides I’m not that great a driver so more wheel time is what i need. How sad i haven’t been to track since sept?!?!
Old 05-03-2018, 08:45 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Originally Posted by gt2-josh
I haven't driven a DSC equipped car. I'd like to check one out but as far as 997s go I think Spyrex is my favorite. I love his car. It's what I would have done to my RS had I kept it. I'm attempting to replicate it now using a narrow body which I prefer. However if Spyrex ever sells his 997 I hope I'm the buyer. JBO
Originally Posted by Spyerx
Have not tried tpc but would love to get a ride when all dialed in andcan donsame with mine. I’m sure the computer control is the way of the future but sometimes simple and easy is good too. :-) besides I’m not that great a driver so more wheel time is what i need. How sad i haven’t been to track since sept?!?!

josh and chris, you lads are missing out.
Thill at one of mooty's day a few years back. Installed oem unit. Did 2 hot laps w/ aim solo. Came in 2 hot laps with TPC DSC. ~avg was 1.5+ seconds difference. Street driving is much better with TPC DSC as well. 1:57 vs. 159, over the top.

p.s. i have not done a track day since - june of last year (last mooty day) -_- fml
Old 05-03-2018, 09:16 PM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Yeah good shocks make such a difference.
I had similar improvement moving from Ohlin DFV to TTX at Buttonwillow, actually more than that. No other changes... just new shocks and same alignment.

we def. have to swap rides once you get it sorted out!

I drive my oil burners on the street, slow car fast is more fun in the canyons :-)
Old 05-04-2018, 07:34 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I genuinely don't get how people think the 4.0 handles so differently from the 3.8. It feels a bit different I admit at the rear but not hugely so (and this was very recently having been in a 3.8 again when previously I thought they were practically identical after a back to back drive)

Also per jcastle's picture the helper spring is fully compressed so isn't actually doing anything and that I assume is already with the car jacked up??
Old 05-04-2018, 08:05 PM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

I don't think anybody claimed the handling of the 3.8 and 4.0 are so different. However they are different. And since i'm slow as a slug and my memory isn't so great I can't explain it. However a couple of friends I have no reason to doubt said it is a change and one that makes a meaningful difference. It wasn't as much that the change was sooooooo different then why didn't Porsche implement this change across the GT board earlier. Josh
Old 05-04-2018, 08:31 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

i txt mooty (peter is second) as he has the most mileage (on track and street) in gt3rs then anyone i know, asking if i'm recalling incorrectly in big difference between 3.8rs to 4.0rs. He responded, yes totally different car. /end that debate
Old 05-04-2018, 08:36 PM
isv
Pro

That's one opinion and with all due respect not definitive. I am lucky enough to have a 4.0 and I really don't think the 2 are 'totally different cars'. Not at all. Perhaps it's a US spec thing then as no one I know here in the UK/Europe who has driven a 4.0 thinks that either.
Old 05-04-2018, 08:49 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

two opinions actually. maybe they're different maybe not.
regardless the thread is on the rear springs across all 997 gt models and visually looking at the springs they look vastly different and in my mind, which can be palpable / figment of imagination means different characteristics.
Old 05-05-2018, 08:50 AM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

Maybe the not different crowd can produce a voice from a driver and/or owner who has multiple Daytona Sebring Le Mans starts / wins and explain why it's not different. And since I know that won't happen at least in this case I'll continue to maintain that there is a difference. On one hand we have Mooty, Editor of leading Porsche Magazine and Professional Race Car driver and on the other hand we have all of the ROW. I frankly don't care if it's different or not but I'm glad it is. I don't understand why a few cranky posters want to prove there no difference. JBO
Old 05-05-2018, 11:58 AM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 506 Likes on 256 Posts

Sorry to hi-jack the thread but what I really want to know is, how much better damped is a TTX setup or a DSC setup over stock on the street? I certainly know how well high end suspension components work in snow machines and motorbikes. I do not mind stiff cars as long as they do a good job on high frequency/sharp bumps. I have a feeling they are better than a stock 3.8? Any thoughts?

Last edited by Mr. Adair; 05-05-2018 at 01:49 PM.
Old 05-05-2018, 12:03 PM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

I'll take a quick crack before the wife wakes up. First depends what is the primary use of the car. No need for overkill. Second did you graduate first in you class at MIT or do you crew for Joest? A four way adjustable custom Penske setup is....overkill. I don't believe it's possible to answer your question without further info. JBO
Old 05-05-2018, 01:53 PM
isv
Pro

Originally Posted by gt2-josh
Maybe the not different crowd can produce a voice from a driver and/or owner who has multiple Daytona Sebring Le Mans starts / wins and explain why it's not different. And since I know that won't happen at least in this case I'll continue to maintain that there is a difference. On one hand we have Mooty, Editor of leading Porsche Magazine and Professional Race Car driver and on the other hand we have all of the ROW. I frankly don't care if it's different or not but I'm glad it is. I don't understand why a few cranky posters want to prove there no difference. JBO
Ok now perhaps I have no clue how to drive and all the other people I know who do track their cars regularly also have no clue but personal experience of my own 4.0 and 2 other 3.8RS is in no way similar to what has been claimed in the thread nor has those I know who have driven both. Namely - ""The 4.0 drives hands down leaps better then .1,RS and .2,RS"" and "" totally different car. ""

Maybe it's cranky to observe my own experience is very different. Fair enough.

Quick Reply: 997 gt3 4.0 rear suspension ?