Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Will cable adjustment cure notchy 1st / 2nd gear engagement?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2018, 01:31 PM
hesperus
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will cable adjustment cure notchy 1st / 2nd gear engagement?

Did a bit of a search on the GT2/GT3 section and couldn't find specific info that answered this.

My 997.1 GT3 has approx 15,000 miles, and has had a very notchy 1st and 2nd gear engagement, even once the car is warmed up. Am aware that GT3's are really supposed to have a notchy feel, but i've had the car since new, and it didn't feel this notchy. Now a couple of points to make:
  • warming it up doesn't make much of a difference;
  • there's no actual "grinding"-- as if a synchro were going out. More like, it's just more difficult to get into 1st from Neutral and into 2nd from 1st, than it used to be;
  • i used to track the car a lot, but have never drag launched it, and don't recall ever having a bad miss-shift;
  • the motor has been out a few times early on (to fix the pesky RMS). i understand this could be significant information explaining why the shifter feels as it does
it COULD be the clutch needing replacing, or a synchro going bad... but considering the mileage is relatively low, and the transmission has neither been abused with launches, or suffered misshifts, i'm thinking (hoping) it's not the clutch.

i also plan to have the transmission fluid checked/replaced.

But i keep coming across the shifter cable adjustment, and am wondering: have people actually experienced an improvement in shifter feel only with the cable adjustment?

Thanks in advance!
Old 02-14-2018, 09:17 PM
stjoh
Rennlist Member

Received 158 Likes on 68 Posts

YMMV but mine got noticeably better after changing transmission fluid (Delvac 75W-90) and adjusting the shifter cables.
Old 02-15-2018, 07:58 PM
Drew_K
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mine was really notchy as well (997.1). When I had the engine out to have the coolant pipes welded, my mechanic mentioned cracked/worn out shifter bushings. Unfortunately, that’s the extent of my knowledge, but my mechanic fixed the shifter and it’s a lot better now. Something to research and investigate.
Old 02-17-2018, 11:33 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

Is this around town or when driven properly?
they are notchy. And work much better when driven aggressively.
check adjustment
change fluid
if not grinding, hard to get in gear, or making bad noises it’s most likely fine.

Old 02-17-2018, 11:54 AM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Coming from the world of non-synchro, spur gear trannys, with multiple disc clutch ('23 Lincoln)........ Sitting at a stop, with the clutch in, going into first gear should be effortless, unless the clutch is not fully releasing. Additionally, when the gear oil is cold, revving the engine a little higher and shifting faster into 2nd gear will allow for a smooth shift. As the oil warms, less revving and a delayed shift should also allow for a smooth shift. I have found this to work on my 12k mile RS. Maybe I'm nuts for a "dated" comparison but gear oil becomes more liquid, as engine oil does, when it warms up. As last resort, try double clutching on upshift and see if that helps. Additionally, just as you almost come to a stop, depress the clutch and shift back into first which should also be smooth as engine speed and vehicle travel should be a perfect match, Can't answer the "cable" question but car doesn't have to be up in the air to try the above........... My "dated" 2 cents.

Last edited by Rick-A-Shay; 02-17-2018 at 12:12 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 08:39 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,953 Likes on 555 Posts

I would definitely consider having the motor and trans mounts checked. As these cars Are 10+ y/o the rubber will be pretty wasted
Old 02-19-2018, 03:12 AM
hesperus
Racer

Originally Posted by Drew_K
my mechanic mentioned cracked/worn out shifter bushings.
Thanks. anybody know anything else about this? my mechanic also suggested I look into that
Old 02-20-2018, 12:40 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,057 Posts

there are no "shifter bushings" to replace. There is the shift console. You can try that. Doubtful though. If you replace get the 996 CUP version or 997.2 RS version. Both have metal bushings and are more durable.
Old 02-20-2018, 04:49 AM
hesperus
Racer

Originally Posted by Spyerx
If you replace get the 996 CUP version or 997.2 RS version. Both have metal bushings and are more durable.
thanks for the tip!
Old 02-21-2018, 09:53 AM
tedean
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I suspect this is normal from your description, as I might think the same ( I have a 10 GT3).

I would first confirm the clutch is fully disengaging.

Quick Reply: Will cable adjustment cure notchy 1st / 2nd gear engagement?