Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Shock/Strut Install

Old 02-12-2018, 01:28 PM
HarmonyJim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 45 Posts
Default Shock/Strut Install

I own a 2007 GT3RS (pumpkin), and have purchased a set of Tractive DDAs to go with my DSC controller and accelerometer. My question is: Can I as a fairly competent garage mechanic install these myself without a lift? Can I do them one corner at a time? Any specialized tools required? How much of a concern is damaging the PCCB rotors during the operation? Thanks in advance.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:44 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 910 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by HarmonyJim
I own a 2007 GT3RS (pumpkin), and have purchased a set of Tractive DDAs to go with my DSC controller and accelerometer. My question is: Can I as a fairly competent garage mechanic install these myself without a lift?
Of course you can! I installed Tractive DDA coilovers on my GT3 on the parking lot of TPC because the shop was completely full as usual. When I was working full time for the race team I swapped shocks on pit lane for testing.

Can I do them one corner at a time?
I did my rears first and then the front but can be done vice versa, doesn't matter.

Any specialized tools required?
Need the following:
13mm to 19mm sockets and wrenches
Ball joint removal tool
Torque wrench
Remember to disconnect the sway bars first.
Be carefully routing the front shock cables(route them in same manner as OEM cables), use zip ties to secure the cables.

\How much of a concern is damaging the PCCB rotors during the operation?
I normally don't remove steel rotors but for PCCB I'd take the extra measure by carefully removing the rotors before installing the shock in order to prevent accidentally chipping the outter edge of the rotors.
Old 02-12-2018, 06:27 PM
HarmonyJim
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 45 Posts

Tom, thanks so much for the prompt reply. Is the ball joint removal tool a Porsche specific item, and if so, can you recommend one that doesn't cost more than the car? I have read on other related posts that the brake calipers need to be disconnected from their brake lines - is this correct, or can I just carefully support them (bungee cords) during the procedure? In your opinion, will the tires get destroyed driving to the alignment shop? Thanks for all your help. To others thinking of this modification, Tom has been incredible answering my countless questions (no matter how dumb), and even checked back a week after my purchase to see how things were progressing. That is the first time anyone has ever done that for any work I have had done! Very impressive.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:09 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 910 Likes on 511 Posts

Tom, thanks so much for the prompt reply.
Pleasure to help.

Is the ball joint removal tool a Porsche specific item, and if so, can you recommend one that doesn't cost more than the car?
Its universal and looks like this-
https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben.../008959sch01a/
You can work the ball joint tool with a heavy duty ratchet or impact gun. I latter is easier.

I have read on other related posts that the brake calipers need to be disconnected from their brake lines - is this correct, or can I just carefully support them (bungee cords) during the procedure?
You can certainly disconnect the line but I prefer bungee cords to hang the calipers. Make sure you remove the M6 bolt(10mm head) that holds the front brake line bracket to the front wheel carrier.
Old 02-20-2018, 09:33 AM
jonwb
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 47 Posts

How much of a concern is damaging the PCCB rotors during the operation? Thanks in advance.
I meant to reply to this earlier but couldn't find the right pic... Being a fellow PCCB'er I'm always nervous about damage to my rotors when my wheels are removed. As a general rule, I'm the only one the pulls the wheels from my car. To make me more comfortable doing it I bought a couple sets of these pins that support the wheel as you pull it off the hub.

Old 02-20-2018, 01:36 PM
bmwtye
Rennlist Member

Received 127 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by jonwb
I meant to reply to this earlier but couldn't find the right pic... Being a fellow PCCB'er I'm always nervous about damage to my rotors when my wheels are removed. As a general rule, I'm the only one the pulls the wheels from my car. To make me more comfortable doing it I bought a couple sets of these pins that support the wheel as you pull it off the hub.

So when you have tires changed are
You taking the wheels off and bringing them to the place? I'm also very particular about who touches my car.
Old 02-20-2018, 06:08 PM
jonwb
Pro

Received 89 Likes on 47 Posts

That's exactly what I do Ty

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Shock/Strut Install