997 GT2/GT3 Forum
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Antique Tracking

Old 01-18-2019, 05:47 PM
Vince964T
User

Originally Posted by adi_d View Post
These cars do need a lot of investment to make them go fast. Fortunately they provide a very unique experience and feel when being driven well. Getting from my car into a 991 GT3 or RS simply does not provide the same level of tactile excitement, but I may be stubborn. Once the 992 GT3s and new GT4s come out, it may be time to retire this car from track duty...so another good year ahead. Not really sure what the replacement, if any would be?
don't talk about the investment to make a street car go fast ! It's taboo ;-)
Tactile excitement is a good way to put it.

Repacement ? Dunno really I still enjoy my 964Turbo a lot... Still a damn fast car. Also the 996 and the 997... some day may be a 991 or 992.
Where you are now my advice would be to give the Cup cars a go. I see some trailer space in that garage ! But once you take that step...
996/997/991CUP none of them will let you down, they have it all, sensations, speed, involvment, tactile excitement and running costs !
Old 01-18-2019, 06:45 PM
adi_d
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Vince964T View Post
don't talk about the investment to make a street car go fast ! It's taboo ;-)
Tactile excitement is a good way to put it.

Repacement ? Dunno really I still enjoy my 964Turbo a lot... Still a damn fast car. Also the 996 and the 997... some day may be a 991 or 992.
Where you are now my advice would be to give the Cup cars a go. I see some trailer space in that garage ! But once you take that step...
996/997/991CUP none of them will let you down, they have it all, sensations, speed, involvment, tactile excitement and running costs !
Right now I am just doing DE and improving my skills. Most of the fun comes from driving with friends, which is why I tend to use different tires. Getting a cup car would totally shift the balance of power, so that may be overkill for my use case. There is also this silly thought of being able to convert the car back to stop for day to day enjoyment. And while I already have a trailer, not sure my wife would approve another toy!

If I continue this hobby the most logical thing would be to do some type of amateur racing, like a spec mustang or a comparable GT car (M3, etc.). But that approach takes a lot of the fun out of it, as winning ends up being the focus. Let's see how it all goes!
Old 01-19-2019, 01:47 AM
Spyerx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by adi_d View Post
These cars do need a lot of investment to make them go fast. Fortunately they provide a very unique experience and feel when being driven well. Getting from my car into a 991 GT3 or RS simply does not provide the same level of tactile excitement, but I may be stubborn. Once the 992 GT3s and new GT4s come out, it may be time to retire this car from track duty...so another good year ahead. Not really sure what the replacement, if any would be?
i like the older cars. Similar feel. Little less pace. Very fun.
Old 01-19-2019, 05:34 PM
Vince964T
User

Yeah it's impossibly hard to keep up with the 991gt cars but you know you are doing the work ^^
Old 01-21-2019, 01:13 PM
Spyerx
Addict
Rennlist Member

Adi when I get my 964 up to NorCal this summer you can take it for a spin. :-)

If i were to get a 'new' car for a track b*tch it would be a 991.1RS. They're on the downswing, massively fast and capable.

More fun and more skill to drive at limit compared to the 997? probably not, but they are fast for sure.

funny you mention mustang.... gt350 are seriously cheap by porsche standards. biggest issue is they are FAT. I'm used to a 3k lb gt3rs ad my 2650 lb 964. Those things stock are like 3800 lbs. Sound SO good tho.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Antique Tracking

Contact Us About Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

© 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: