Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Antique Tracking

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2018, 11:06 AM
adi_d
Racer

Received 57 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by gt2-josh
I'm jealous. I used to get out about 10-12 days per year. Been awhile. Just curious, are you running a 58" Cup wing or 63" Cup S wing? I hadn't heard of the 63" until I bought mine. I had a 58" in the past and save for width the 63" is identical. I also checked with FVD and my wing is definitely POMO but I'm interested in what wing blade you're running. I really dig your car! Best Josh
Josh thanks! I measured my wing and it seems to be 67 inches wide. The wing is from Getty, but even the 991 OEM cup wing is 71 inches wide. I know that the 997 RSR anhedral wing is a bit shorter at 63 or 65.

Car is all cleaned and loaded up for a Wednesday Laguna event. Hope it will be a semi empty event.

Old 05-05-2018, 04:17 PM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

Thanks so much for measuring the wing. Now I think I better go remeasure mine. Maybe my initial measurement was off. Regardless it looks like you are having a blast out there and that's what it's all about. I sure wish I was at Thunderhill this weekend. I'd even skip a chance to watch IMSA Mid Ohio live Best JBO
Old 05-07-2018, 12:11 AM
adi_d
Racer

Originally Posted by Spyerx
You just blew a cv boot?
I had new boots put on mine repacked and cleaned joints were in good shape. I’m at 46k too.
Had a boot startingnto seep a bit so got ahead of it. Had a trans output flange seal sweating too so we did that.

Thise are fast times.
Yeah it was just the boot leaking, so the plan was to repack and re-use. However, we had some issues getting the axle out of the hub itself, so just for my own piece of mind both were replaced.

The times the car is getting are definitely fast for these tracks. I am getting to the limit of my skill and my risk tolerance. Once I reach the target times I will start working on other, specific skillsets. The other downside has been the potential speed differential during DE events. There have been numerous occasions where I had to switch to Cup2s during an event just to stay within a reasonable speed spread for that particular event.
Old 05-07-2018, 01:05 PM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

WOW! Just measured my wing and it's clear why I dig yours; mine is also 67"?! Oh well I guess I shouldn't trust what I buy on eBay Thanks again for the measurement!!

​​​​​​​Best Josh
Old 05-07-2018, 05:12 PM
adi_d
Racer

WOW! Just measured my wing and it's clear why I dig yours; mine is also 67"?! Oh well I guess I shouldn't trust what I buy on eBay Thanks again for the measurement!!

​​​​​​​Best Josh
Bigger is always better! Now you just need the PMNA gurney flap Fits perfect!
Old 05-07-2018, 05:23 PM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

Agreed Please PLEASE give me the part number of your Gurney Flap. POMO won't sell it based on measurements. They will only accept part numbers. I'm working with Rhonda and even she can't get Porsche to budge. Argh..Need part number........
Old 05-07-2018, 05:25 PM
adi_d
Racer

Agreed Please PLEASE give me the part number of your Gurney Flap. POMO won't sell it based on measurements. They will only accept part numbers. I'm working with Rhonda and even she can't get Porsche to budge. Argh..Need part number........
I think there is a sticker on mine with the part number, I can look for it on Wednesday when I see my car.
Old 05-07-2018, 05:27 PM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

Yes indeed. Every POMO gurney flap has a small sticker with the part number. I'd be indebted to you if you'd post or PM the number. Thanks in advance!! Best Josh
Old 05-09-2018, 01:32 PM
adi_d
Racer

Yes indeed. Every POMO gurney flap has a small sticker with the part number. I'd be indebted to you if you'd post or PM the number. Thanks in advance!! Best Josh
Here is a poor picture of the tag.

The part number seems to be 997.512.105.91.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-09-2018, 01:35 PM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

That is awesome! I am soooooo very grateful. Genuinely and truly appreciate it. Best Josh
Old 05-09-2018, 06:14 PM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

BTW this gurney flap is so unusual FVD didn't have the part number in their inventory system. And they sell lots of these to lots of teams. I know I'm slow to figure stuff out but this was starting to scare me. Thanks again! JBO
Old 05-21-2018, 12:32 AM
adi_d
Racer

So, last Laguna event with Exclusive Trackdays was amazing as there were only 7-8 cars in the group. Unfortunately my tires were done and degrtaded from 1:35 laps to 1:39 laps. It was still fun to practice car control. The 4.0 LWFW, PP and Clutch held up well over the last two years, but it is time to refresh it all, so the car is at Alekshop for the work.

Transmission coming out!

Flywheel has heat marks and needs to be re-surfaced.

Clutch disk in good condition relatively speaking, but makes sense to replace.

As an extra treat we are also installing the 996 cup cables. The stock setup was perfectly fine, so just looking to try out something different. Extra thanks to Rhonda from FVD for finding me the no longer-produced cable attachment. She went way above and beyond to source it from one of their customers that had the spare.

Next up is Sonoma with HOD on May 29; definitely my favorite track so far. New R1S are going on the car as well, so hoping for some fast times. Certainly faster than 1:46 I ran last time!
Old 05-25-2018, 04:23 PM
//steve\\
Advanced

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

I would gladly take your "antique" over any of the new cars
Old 05-26-2018, 02:00 PM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

Thanks to you my gurney flap is now mounted on my car. I am soooo grateful. My sincere thanks.

I have a 996 Cup shifter / cables. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the difference between the Cup Cables and your 997 setup.

Love this thread and your comments and pics. Please keep it alive.

​​​​​​​Best Josh
Old 05-30-2018, 02:13 PM
adi_d
Racer

Originally Posted by //steve\\
I would gladly take your "antique" over any of the new cars
Yeah, there are definitely pros and cons to the cars. I definitely wish I had the straight line speed and stability of the 991 platform, but just love the tactile things on my car. The sound, vibrations, smell, etc. is all hard to replicate.

Thanks to you my gurney flap is now mounted on my car. I am soooo grateful. My sincere thanks.

I have a 996 Cup shifter / cables. I'd love to hear your thoughts on the difference between the Cup Cables and your 997 setup.

Love this thread and your comments and pics. Please keep it alive.

​​​​​​​Best Josh
Glad it worked out. That part is so random, but makes a huge difference on track, was really surprised to be honest.

I had a chance to do couple hundred miles on the cables and do a full track day. For reference I have the Function First shifter insert, Function First semi solid transmission inserts and RSS semi solid engine mounts, so the car is pretty stiff; I also have the LWFW.

With the cables installed, we re-used most of the OEM cable rubber insulation and I can say that on my car there is ZERO cable noise during normal street driving. The sound of the LWFW under deceleration, especially in 2nd and 3rd gear, has increased and you can hear more chatter. Other than that, it really sounds like my old cables. The biggest noise in my car on the street are the tires, so that humming sound is overwhelming everything else pretty much.

In terms of performance the cables definitely gave a more mechanical feel to the shifter. I honestly cannot say that the performance improved on street or on track, as the gearbox itself still has the notchy 2 to 3 shift regardless, you are just changing the feel of it. It was said before on the forum that the shifting technique is far more important than just the hardware. Overall I am happy with the upgrade, but not sure it will yield any better performance in terms of shift speed or precision (it was already very good on my car).

Quick Reply: Antique Tracking