Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

First Time Buyer Questions - .2 GT3 RS

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2018, 12:13 AM
michicago
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First Time Buyer Questions - .2 GT3 RS

After a couple years of planning and saving for a car, and going back and forth on what model I want, I've settled on a 2010 GT3 RS. I wasn't sure until I drove it today, and I still can't wipe the perma-grin off my face... I've never 'connected' to a car like that. The only reason I didn't take it home today was because it has some upgrades (or changes?) that I'm unfamiliar with and wanted some time to look into them. Specifically, should these changes increase the value of the car, decrease it, or be relatively neutral? I couldn't think of a better place to ask than here!

Rather than putting the same generic list of questions after each mod the previous owner made, for each of these would you consider them an upgrade to OEM? Should I consider it a plus or minus to the value of the car versus original equipment?

Stoptech Trophy brakes
GMG WC Exhaust - headers and center bypass
JRZ Adjustable dampers - I don't have a model on this yet, trying to get the info Monday
GMG WC Anti-Roll bars, dog bone, and arm bushings
GMG roll cage

Lastly, while I've been following these cars for a while, I don't know anybody with one so I can only use list prices as a guide. Do Porsches generally sell close to list or do you expect to come down 5% 10%, etc. from list?

Sorry for the newb/generic questions. You can only learn so much about these cars and the aftermarket parts from a distance... really looking forward to picking this car up (or another RS) and experiencing my favorite tracks (VIR and Road Atlanta) on 4 wheels!

Thank you for any help - as you can imagine, emotions are all crazy high after test driving today. I really want the car, but could really use some help understanding some of these unknowns so I can feel more comfortable going for it Monday.

Cheers!
Old 02-04-2018, 12:59 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

If you are going to seriously track the car, these are expensive upgrades that are already installed and will be a benefit. RS is sought after by many as it is one of those "last of its series" and limited production. Prices have held steady so be prepared to pay. Knowing the previous owner/history of the car helps to understand how the car was maintained. Pre-purschase inspection by a shop is a must.
Old 02-04-2018, 03:42 PM
michicago
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Rick-A-Shay
If you are going to seriously track the car, these are expensive upgrades that are already installed and will be a benefit.
Thank you, this helps quite a bit! I definitely want to get it out on the track, no question there. Where my comfort level drops off is perceived value in the future. I've been around motorcycles at the track for a lot of years... I know if I put Ohlins and Brembo on my bike, it will sell for more later than it would without it. Nobody is going to offer me less because I moved away from OEM Honda parts. With Porsche, I'm not sure...

I just don't know the market as a seller. I feel like selling an RS is already a niche crowd so I'm just trying to avoid paying "full RS value" for something I'd only be able to get "modified and worth less now" down the road, you know? For example, reading today I realized the aftermarket stuff would eliminate PASM (of course, should have realized that). But is that a big selling point?

I'm still trying to find out exactly what suspension is on the car. The dealership seems to know little to nothing about it, which is making this a challenge. Hoping Monday they can provide some paperwork/history on it.

Originally Posted by Rick-A-Shay
Pre-purschase inspection by a shop is a must.
Great point! Getting that set-up for Monday, too. I only wish I could be there to go over the car with the tech, but it's 2.5 hours away so that's unlikely.
Old 02-04-2018, 04:21 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Market is a bit strange for RS cars. It’s difficult to mix track car and collectible in the same phrase. This car sounds like a perfect fit for your usage. As previous poster mentioned these are expensive mods. Unfortunately they will hurt the value in the future. If you get all stock parts and the car checks out good from PPI that makes it possible to reverse back to stock and be possible to sell as a classic in the future.

Hope this helps. And do yourself a favor and buy a .2rs. They are as good as you experienced during test drive.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:15 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

If you are worried about what changes would be worth as a seller then think like a buyer. As someone in market for a .2 GT3 and .2 GT3 RS the only upgrades or changes that add value for me are pinned lines, sorted cam bolts, an exhaust depending on which one, upgraded active suspension to Tractives. The rest don’t add value to me. I also don’t see the value in downgrading from PASM based suspension to a passive Ohlin or similar suspension. People who are used to setting up passive suspensions might differ from that. Other upgrades might be links and arms in the suspension but I don’t junk they’d add much value if any. Front lift is not desirable because of its high failure rate and expensive fix.

Big factor is diligent maintenance done often and even prematurely with meticulous records. Buy the owner not the car comes to mind when we think about this stuff.

One data point but but hopefully that helps.
Old 02-04-2018, 05:50 PM
michicago
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 997rs4.0
Market is a bit strange for RS cars. It’s difficult to mix track car and collectible in the same phrase. This car sounds like a perfect fit for your usage. As previous poster mentioned these are expensive mods. Unfortunately they will hurt the value in the future. If you get all stock parts and the car checks out good from PPI that makes it possible to reverse back to stock and be possible to sell as a classic in the future.

Hope this helps. And do yourself a favor and buy a .2rs. They are as good as you experienced during test drive.
Thank you, a perfectly straight answer and this pretty much confirms where my head was at for this car. It's priced lower than its unmodified twin that is also for sale, but only by about $7k. Unfortunately this car doesn't come with any stock parts.. and I'd be the 7th owner (several previous owners were only dealerships, but thousands of miles were accrued). As much as this car would be perfect for my use, I'm beginning to think it's priced at a premium I'd be hard pressed to recover when I sell it

I think buying factory brakes, suspension, and exhaust would be pretty expensive... but I like the idea of reverting back to stock when I sell it. I will have to look into this more.
Do people sell their OEM parts on here often? I could amass them over time as they crop up.

One way or another, in the next 2-3 weeks I'll have a .2 GT3 RS in my garage! I drove a turbo S cabriolet when I was at the dealership too, thinking it'd be a compromise the wife would enjoy riding in more. I haven't given that car a 2nd thought since I stepped out of it... and have not stopped daydreaming about the RS since surgically extracting myself from the bucket seat. Just raw driving and I loved every second of it.

Originally Posted by nwGTS
If you are worried about what changes would be worth as a seller then think like a buyer. As someone in market for a .2 GT3 and .2 GT3 RS the only upgrades or changes that add value for me are pinned lines, sorted cam bolts, an exhaust depending on which one, upgraded active suspension to Tractives. The rest don’t add value to me. I also don’t see the value in downgrading from PASM based suspension to a passive Ohlin or similar suspension. People who are used to setting up passive suspensions might differ from that. Other upgrades might be links and arms in the suspension but I don’t junk they’d add much value if any. Front lift is not desirable because of its high failure rate and expensive fix.

Big factor is diligent maintenance done often and even prematurely with meticulous records. Buy the owner not the car comes to mind when we think about this stuff.

One data point but but hopefully that helps.
That helps a lot, thank you! Hearing what mods are meaningful to someone else is extremely helpful... that's the piece I'm missing more than anything. Funny you mention the front-end lift, too, since the gauge cluster was showing "lift failure" on my test drive. I guess that's not such an uncommon sighting!

Maintenance and records is right, too. That's another piece I'm missing in this deal (so far, at least). The dealer selling the car hasn't shared any of that so Monday I'd like to see what they have available so I can start understanding this car more. Buy the owner... spot on, I like that Maybe the number of previous owners and my inability to talk to them should sway me in another direction.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:04 PM
Speedster911
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 54 Posts

.2RS owners are a fairly close group. If you post the Vin and photos, someone on this forum should know the car and perhaps connect you with previous owner/ owners.

Take your time and find the right car for you. Good luck in your search.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:25 PM
michicago
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Speedster911
.2RS owners are a fairly close group. If you post the Vin and photos, someone on this forum should know the car and perhaps connect you with previous owner/ owners.

Take your time and find the right car for you. Good luck in your search.
Wow, I don't even know what to say - that's incredibly helpful, thanks!

Here's some info I have for it:
VIN: WP0AC2A9XAS783693

And a couple photos:

Old 02-04-2018, 09:33 PM
smulyanto
Intermediate

Found it- it's been listed here on rennlist before:

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...he-gt3-rs.html
Old 02-04-2018, 09:50 PM
michicago
Intermediate

Originally Posted by smulyanto

That was fast! And gave me more history than I received at the dealer. I guess I can add engine swap to the list of mods now!

Is it just me or does an engine swap with no supporting paperwork seem... off? Concerning it never sold here, too. Beautiful car with great mods but the more I learn about it, the harder I think it will be to sell without losing my shirt.
Old 02-04-2018, 09:55 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by smulyanto

Not very confidence inspiring reading through that thread.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:17 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

If you are looking for a track car, it depends on how much they are selling it. I am sure it wont be cheap. But if you are going to resell, it would be difficult, atleast private selling.

But there are enough cars out there for you not to explain the story on the car.
Old 02-04-2018, 10:32 PM
michicago
Intermediate

Originally Posted by thxbuff2001
If you are looking for a track car, it depends on how much they are selling it. I am sure it wont be cheap. But if you are going to resell, it would be difficult, atleast private selling.

But there are enough cars out there for you not to explain the story on the car.
My thoughts exactly. I mean, I loved the car and would buy it tomorrow if I felt it was priced for what it is... A wholly unoriginal, but phenomenal track car. But with an ask of 170k, it feels like the disconnect is quite large.

Out of curiosity, given the checkered past what would be a reasonable price for that as a private sale? $140k? Even lower?
Old 02-04-2018, 11:30 PM
thxbuff2001
Drifting

Received 57 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by michicago
My thoughts exactly. I mean, I loved the car and would buy it tomorrow if I felt it was priced for what it is... A wholly unoriginal, but phenomenal track car. But with an ask of 170k, it feels like the disconnect is quite large.

Out of curiosity, given the checkered past what would be a reasonable price for that as a private sale? $140k? Even lower?

This car is only worth what the other person wants to pay for it.
140k maybe.

But if it was me, ill just use that money for a .2 GT3.
Old 02-04-2018, 11:44 PM
michicago
Intermediate

Originally Posted by thxbuff2001

This car is only worth what the other person wants to pay for it.
140k maybe.

But if it was me, ill just use that money for a .2 GT3.
I understand that, but everything has a known fair market value too. Having no personal experience on this model with a history that would require so much explaining, I was looking for a little guidance is all.

Thank you! My hunt for the right car continues.

Quick Reply: First Time Buyer Questions - .2 GT3 RS