Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

First Time Buyer Questions - .2 GT3 RS

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2018, 01:11 PM
Speedster911
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 54 Posts

This car has been for sale for a long time. I remember it being listed around June of last year on SF CL. I believe ( could be wrong) he was asking 159K.

My .02, - so many red flags which is why it hasn't sold, you would have difficulty selling it as well in the future.
Old 02-05-2018, 01:14 PM
michicago
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Speedster911
This car has been for sale for a long time. I remember it being listed around June of last year on SF CL. I believe ( could be wrong) he was asking 159K.

My .02, - so many red flags which is why it hasn't sold, you would have difficulty selling it as well in the future.
Agree completely - I saw it was listed multiple times on Rennlist and not a lot of interest. If no interest here, then where?!

Moving on to another car, it comes with this report. Is this a run, don't walk away situation too? Seems like a money shift about 300 hours ago. Comforting despite the presence of rev 3/4 numbers?

Old 02-05-2018, 01:42 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by michicago
Agree completely - I saw it was listed multiple times on Rennlist and not a lot of interest. If no interest here, then where?!

Moving on to another car, it comes with this report. Is this a run, don't walk away situation too? Seems like a money shift about 300 hours ago. Comforting despite the presence of rev 3/4 numbers?

On over revs, you're going to get a ton of different answers, so you need to decide what you're comfortable with yourself. I believe the Porsche CPO guidelines are such that they will CPO a car with 5/6 revs as long as they are over 300 hours ago and the engine passes a compression and leak down test(you should double check those figures as this is going off of memory).

What this really seems like, and no disrespect, is that you're trying to stretch your budget to get a lower dollar RS. I was in a similar situation, and ended up with a very nice 7.2 gt3 rather than a questionable RS. YMMV but something to think about.

EDIT: seems like you intended to post a screen shot of the DME, nothing is coming up on my end
Old 02-05-2018, 01:57 PM
Rick-A-Shay
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You will very well find that a non-RS GT3 will give you all the smiles you would ever need. Yea, the "RS" (& +4.0) designation is very special to many but don't stick your neck out and buy a questionable car you may not be able to afford.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:17 PM
michicago
Intermediate

Originally Posted by misterwaterfall
EDIT: seems like you intended to post a screen shot of the DME, nothing is coming up on my end
That's so strange, it shows up inline with the text when I view this thread. Maybe this version of BBS doesn't like direct pasting of images. Can you see it in the attachment to this post?

On over revs, you're going to get a ton of different answers, so you need to decide what you're comfortable with yourself. I believe the Porsche CPO guidelines are such that they will CPO a car with 5/6 revs as long as they are over 300 hours ago and the engine passes a compression and leak down test(you should double check those figures as this is going off of memory).
That seems reasonable and along the lines of what I've read on here. I've also read some of the other opinions and thoughts on metal stress/fatigue that will show itself in spectacular fashion about 4 hours after you buy it, lol. It's the same in the world of bikes though... maybe I'll start a couple threads on the best oil and tires one can use!

What this really seems like, and no disrespect, is that you're trying to stretch your budget to get a lower dollar RS. I was in a similar situation, and ended up with a very nice 7.2 gt3 rather than a questionable RS. YMMV but something to think about.
Originally Posted by Rick-A-Shay
You will very well find that a non-RS GT3 will give you all the smiles you would ever need. Yea, the "RS" (& +4.0) designation is very special to many but don't stick your neck out and buy a questionable car you may not be able to afford.
No disrespect taken at all! Quite the opposite, in fact. Nobody here knows me from Adam, but I appreciate directness and generally operate the same way (especially when it's time to separate emotion from financial choices). Few things meet that criteria better than diving head first into buying your dream car!

Truth is, the RS is within my means. But another undeniable fact is I'm a bargain hunter... I've never bought a new car or paid anywhere near a new car price, and half the joy I've had from previous buys is finding that deal of a lifetime. Of course, a loaded Nissan Titan isn't going to be on the DuPont registry either... but despite the RS being in a different reality, I still need to satisfy my bargain hunter gene, or else I'll lie in bed at night simultaneously dreaming about driving my car, and growing an ulcer because if I just looked at ONE more car, that would have been the one.

@Rick-A-Shay, you're spot on with the GT3 vs. RS comment, too. For anybody interested in reading at this point, this all started in 2014. On a trip to the UK I drove an F430 and a V8 Vanquish at Silverstone. Later that year, on a trip to Vegas I signed up to drive a Porsche 991 GT3, Ferrari 458, and a Laborghini Huracan, in that order. The order was no mistake, I selected them in the order I expected to enjoy them from least to most (relatively speaking, of course... none of these were going to register below insanely fun). At the risk of being burned to a crisp, each car was also a step up to something more 'exotic' that would have been on a poster in my bedroom growing up. But boy, did I get it wrong.

The first time the GT3's engine wound out, the hair on my arms and back of my neck stood straight up. Diving into T1 and feeling like the car not only didn't care that I wasn't worthy of driving it; it kept wanting me to push the envelope by inspiring confidence everywhere around the track. Braking, corner speed, trail braking, accelerating from the apex... if this thing had a weakness, I didn't have the talent to expose it. It was somehow surgically precise and provided driver feedback that was unmatched by anything I'd driven with 4 wheels. I had my first hit...

The 458's transmission was a quantum leap compared to the 430. The latter, I'm certain I could send a few text messages from the time I pulled the flappy paddle until the next gear clunked into place. The ceramic brakes made some pretty horrific sounds until you were at speed too, thanks to the floating rotors. I suspect pulling up to a restaurant with this would get a lot of "guess he can't afford new brake pads for his Ferrari" thoughts, lol. The sound of the V8 was nothing short of intoxicating though, and more than once it was tempting to just keep going straight into the gravel trap only to hear it rev just a second longer down the straight. Compared to the GT3 though, the driver feedback and what I could only describe as the "car's desire" to be there and driven hard were not in the same league.

When it came time to drive the Lamborghini, I was already missing the GT3. The acceleration of the Huracan was very noticeably quicker, and it stops as well in a straight line as it accelerates. If you really stand on the brake pedal at the end of a straight, be prepared to put your eyeballs back in your head so you can look through the next turn. But it felt twitchy in the turns and like it was never sure which of the 4 wheels it wanted to send its power to... and like it was always on the verge of killing me. Definitely more of a beach cruiser car in my book.

Fast-forward a bit and I started looking for one of these cars to buy. I started with the GT3 of course, but was eventually talked out of it by the misses because it's not offered in a convertible that she'd enjoy riding in. Then the F430 spider came into play for a while, but manual prices shot to the moon soon after. Then I figured if I have to have a flappy paddle gearbox, I want the 458 then. When Ferrari announced the 488 and onward would be turbo and the 458 was going to be their last naturally aspirated V8, those prices shot up too. Combined with the fact I want a car to DRIVE, not be afraid to put miles on... and the fact nothing made me smile more than the GT3 to drive, about 2 weeks ago I started looking at them again.

There was an RS for sale just a short 2.5 hour drive from my house, so I started there first. And fell in love the the Porsche all over again. In short, I'd love to have the 'special-ness' the RS brings, there's no question. But I'm quickly finding out just how hard it is to find a 'good' example of these. Even the one at a Porsche dealership for $170K feels shady...it was owned by a tuning shop and they put an aftermarket DME, so the dealer installed an OEM one that shows no over-revs but also has close to no operating hours. None of that feels kosher to me, and certainly not for the asking price. So I've been spending some time learning about the select few others available, and learning a lot along the way thanks to this board!

In the end, I'll find my car, I'm sure of it. I'd love for it to be an RS, but it doesn't have to be. But it won't have a past that requires more explanation than this post, which has gone on far longer than I anticipated when I started it.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:06 PM
misterwaterfall
Banned

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you're looking for a deal, stick to the classifieds here from legit posters or from verified sellers who you can get some references for. I think Justin at Euro Classics just sold a nice looking .2 for around 170k, and there's a few others floating around. If you have the time to be patient, you'll find something.

Also drop Doug at Switchcars a line. He has a huge network and will do you right.
Old 02-05-2018, 11:57 PM
Speedster911
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 54 Posts

have you looked at AgentSpeed 08 pumpkin ?, super clean car and known owners/ history

Also:

https://rennlist.com/forums/vehicle-...eat-value.html

Good luck
Old 02-06-2018, 12:01 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

there are no bargain RS.
you pay now or you pay later.
the ECU you posted is not very good but not bad enough to be alarmed.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:27 AM
C.J. Ichiban
Platinum Dealership
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 1,953 Likes on 555 Posts

We have a 997.2 for around 150 in Scottsdale. No over revs. Has miles and some mods but it's a straight car.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:01 PM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As 997rs4.0 said, 'It’s difficult to mix track car and collectible in the same phrase' and the GT3 and particularly the RS falls into the collectible category. Unfortunately, to 'track car' you can also add 'miles' as a depreciator. As for a replacement engine, I saw an RS 4.0 with one and a total of 5,500 km over both engines advertised for about ¾ the typical price for that mileage.

To maximise value you need originality, matching numbers, excellent condition, low miles, no over-revs and no or low track use. Given that you want to track it and put plenty of miles on I suggest a car with light track use so it's not too worn but you're not paying a premium for untracked; medium-low miles so you can put a fair amount on without it becoming a really high mileage car but you're not paying a premium for really low mileage; original spec and condition and keeping it that way - the RS 3.8 is a great track car that doesn't need to be turned into a race car if you're not going to race it.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:16 PM
isv
Pro

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Uh, over 7000 range 1 recordings would be a bit of an issue surely? that's a 9000+ rpm hit being recorded in range 1 already iirc.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:06 AM
michicago
Intermediate

Originally Posted by C.J. Ichiban
We have a 997.2 for around 150 in Scottsdale. No over revs. Has miles and some mods but it's a straight car.
I think I remember seeing that one - white with around 32 or 35K miles, correct? If not I may have to go look through the ads again.

Originally Posted by turbofreeFLAT6
As 997rs4.0 said, 'It’s difficult to mix track car and collectible in the same phrase' and the GT3 and particularly the RS falls into the collectible category. Unfortunately, to 'track car' you can also add 'miles' as a depreciator. As for a replacement engine, I saw an RS 4.0 with one and a total of 5,500 km over both engines advertised for about ¾ the typical price for that mileage.

To maximise value you need originality, matching numbers, excellent condition, low miles, no over-revs and no or low track use. Given that you want to track it and put plenty of miles on I suggest a car with light track use so it's not too worn but you're not paying a premium for untracked; medium-low miles so you can put a fair amount on without it becoming a really high mileage car but you're not paying a premium for really low mileage; original spec and condition and keeping it that way - the RS 3.8 is a great track car that doesn't need to be turned into a race car if you're not going to race it.
Well put. And I'm finding it difficult to locate one that falls somewhere in that sweet spot... not paying for perfection I'd be afraid to drive and devalue, while not going too far the other way and being fairly thrashed but still asking for RS values.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:31 AM
mooty
GT3 player par excellence
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 5,481 Likes on 2,269 Posts

^ miles isn't the issue. condtion is. my newb friend bought a 6000 mile, let's just say very limtied and special car. i woudln't put that in my garage if he gave it to me. my with 13000 miles is WAY WAY WAY cleaner.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:00 AM
turbofreeFLAT6
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mooty
^ miles isn't the issue.
Unfortunately it is for investors, which is very frustrating because if they all enjoyed their cars by driving them, mileage wouldn't be an issue.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:51 PM
997rs4.0
Race Car

Received 110 Likes on 56 Posts

Listen to Mooty and turbofree.

You might be looking for a car that doesn’t exist. A low mile garage queen is no fun if you want to track. Will make you feel bad every time you take it out.
I I was in your shoes I would look for a well maintained car with more miles. Track mods will help you get a better deal. Seems to hurt value a bit. But, to get a good deal on a 997rs is very hard. The people that own these amazing cars knows more than most dealers and car journalists.

Quick Reply: First Time Buyer Questions - .2 GT3 RS