odd knocking sound from front - please help

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2018, 02:39 PM
ores
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default odd knocking sound from front - please help

Hi all,
My 07 GT3 (with 8K miles) is making strange noises which are coming from the front of the car. It doesn't seem to be coming from very far - somewhere behind the dashboard but could be further: It's a knocking sound, almost like friction between two pieces of steel or metat - at times it sounds like a squeek and and at times it's a knocking sound. It's seems to be unrelated to bumps or turns, and only happens when the car is warm and moving. The sound can be described as something that is about to break.... It is getting gradually worse. Any ideas? I will take it to my indy but wanted a general idea what this might be prior to taking the car in.
Thank you in advance.
Old 01-17-2018, 10:14 PM
The Mick
Rennlist Member

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts

I've had a couple of knocking sounds from the front end. The easy and inexpensive one was sway bar links. Replaced both in about an hour and the car was good for a few thousand miles. Next was the front top mounts. Not that difficult but the car requires an alignment afterwards.
Old 01-18-2018, 01:45 PM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Probably sway bar end link is loose.
Old 01-19-2018, 11:03 AM
bovien
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In my mind sway bars would be related to bumps and turns contrary to what the OP is describing.
I've had a sound like the described in another car of mine, where it was the sub frame bolts that needed to be re torqued. Happened why I turned the wheel, all though not necessarily at speed.
If you get the knock when driving completely straight without bumps or steering input, I think you might need to lay some bait for whatever creature is roaming around in the trunk

Quick Reply: odd knocking sound from front - please help