Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Daytona

Old 12-16-2017, 09:38 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Received 500 Likes on 251 Posts
Default Daytona

Gent's,

I have some time off and I am thinking about flying down to see the 24 Hours. Is there enough to see for a Motorsports fan going by themselves? Access to teams/cars wise etc. Any thoughts welcome.

Mj
Old 12-17-2017, 12:02 AM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

Received 148 Likes on 55 Posts

Definitely! I've been going since 1973 and IMO, this race is the closest thing on this continent to LeMans although the track layout is quite different.

Be sure to buy the ticket that includes garage access. Arrive in the morning prior to start time so you can wander through the garage area as the pre-race preparations are underway. The garage access ticket allows access to the entire infield and the grandstands. There is no reserved seating in the grandstands, you can sit pretty much wherever you want. Most of the spectators remain in the infield but I prefer watching the pre-race stuff and the start from the grandstands. Also, when it is dark, there is quite a show from the stands with super high speeds and glowing brake rotors.

Infield parking is already sold out but there is an open (and free) lot not too far from Nascar turn 4. Be prepared to do a LOT of walking. The Daytona facility underwent a major update a couple years ago and it is quite a showplace. There is a Fan Zone in the garage area that is pretty impressive.

Here's a link that should answer any questions you may have regarding ticket prices and track amenities: http://www.daytonainternationalspeed...t-Daytona.aspx

Last edited by jackb911; 12-17-2017 at 10:32 AM.
Old 12-17-2017, 12:11 AM
PCA1983
Rennlist Member

Received 445 Likes on 305 Posts

The only thing I would add to that is of you have health problems or are a senior, there are golf carts to take you from the parking lot to the infield, free of charge.
Old 12-17-2017, 09:02 AM
Marv
Rennlist Member

Received 993 Likes on 527 Posts

Just 6 more posts, Mr. Adair.
Old 12-17-2017, 10:48 AM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

A few of many pics I took at last years' 24

Old 12-17-2017, 12:58 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Originally Posted by Marv
Just 6 more posts, Mr. Adair.
Thanks Marv, I had forgotten all about that! Odd I'm at 991 too since I had a .1 GT3. Does something magical happen at 997?
Old 12-17-2017, 01:02 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Originally Posted by jackb911
Definitely! I've been going since 1973 and IMO, this race is the closest thing on this continent to LeMans although the track layout is quite different.

Be sure to buy the ticket that includes garage access. Arrive in the morning prior to start time so you can wander through the garage area as the pre-race preparations are underway. The garage access ticket allows access to the entire infield and the grandstands. There is no reserved seating in the grandstands, you can sit pretty much wherever you want. Most of the spectators remain in the infield but I prefer watching the pre-race stuff and the start from the grandstands. Also, when it is dark, there is quite a show from the stands with super high speeds and glowing brake rotors.

Infield parking is already sold out but there is an open (and free) lot not too far from Nascar turn 4. Be prepared to do a LOT of walking. The Daytona facility underwent a major update a couple years ago and it is quite a showplace. There is a Fan Zone in the garage area that is pretty impressive.

Here's a link that should answer any questions you may have regarding ticket prices and track amenities: http://www.daytonainternationalspeed...t-Daytona.aspx
Thank you for the advice, link and added photos Jackb9111!
Old 12-17-2017, 01:25 PM
jackb911
Rennlist Member

I forgot to mention that there are several vintage race cars on display in the Fan Zone and on Saturday morning before the 24 starts and some of them are let loose on the track to run a few hot laps.

This is my all-time favorite Porsche - the 1973 Carrera RSR 2.8 that took FIRST OVERALL at the '73 race, driven by Hurley Haywood and the late Peter Gregg, who owned the Brumos Porsche dealership in Jacksonville at the time. There were several prototypes entered but all of them faltered with mechanical woes.The winning margin of this underdog Mezger-engined Porsche was 22 laps ahead of the second place car.

This is THE ONE, serial # 9113600328 R4 It was the first time I had seen it since it won 44 years ago.A near-religious experience for me!

Old 12-17-2017, 02:31 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

A friend (rennlister) got us hot pit passes last year from a team. Epic experience even though it was freezing.
We're discussing if we should do it again. Nando will be in the pits this year - i need to brush up on kissing up to my fellow Espanol. I'll slice Pata Negra on call for him.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:25 PM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

I am a fan of all types of sportscar racing. And i'm glad I did Daytona because a friend was competing. However I prefer events like Laguna Seca, Sebring, Road Atlanta, Limerock, Sonoma etc. Events with less stadium seating presence and lots of vantage points that can be had by wandering the outskirts of the track. Daytona, Montreal and Long Beach have fewer opportunities to migrate around the track. A pit pass is a must at any event. I'm not saying Daytona isn't a blast but I like wandering around a lot. And as is the case at any event when the weather is bad at Daytona it can be miserable. Again I'm not trying to diss any sportscar experience. I just wanted to provide a counterpoint.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:16 PM
Mr. Adair
Drifting

Originally Posted by gt2-josh
I am a fan of all types of sportscar racing. And i'm glad I did Daytona because a friend was competing. However I prefer events like Laguna Seca, Sebring, Road Atlanta, Limerock, Sonoma etc. Events with less stadium seating presence and lots of vantage points that can be had by wandering the outskirts of the track. Daytona, Montreal and Long Beach have fewer opportunities to migrate around the track. A pit pass is a must at any event. I'm not saying Daytona isn't a blast but I like wandering around a lot. And as is the case at any event when the weather is bad at Daytona it can be miserable. Again I'm not trying to diss any sportscar experience. I just wanted to provide a counterpoint.
Understood. I have seen 5 Grand Prix's so I am aware of the strategic spots on circuits where you can pitch a lawn chair and view. Maybe the stadium seating thing may be unique in that one can keep better track of the complete race, hard to say. It would be more of the total experience for me. The racing would be great but the access to cars and teams would be what would really trip my trigger. You points are well taken thanks!
Old 12-18-2017, 03:45 PM
onelove
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

The 24 is a blast, I've been going over a decade and my family knows that during that weekend of the year nothing else goes on the schedule. I'm probably the minority on here that enjoys tent camping the event, some years are obviously more miserable than others but there is nothing like wondering the track at 3AM when the stands and infield are empty and walking into the garages as chaos is going on with teams thrashing. I'd say it's definitely worth the trip as most years have decent weather for those escaping the northern winters.

Swine11 ReBoot - 964 / 993 Shift Boot Trim Panel

2004 996 GT3 | 1986 Carrera 3.2 (future Keen Project) | 2016 Cayenne Diesel

Old 12-18-2017, 04:43 PM
orthofrancis
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts
Default How to get wife going/interested -or not at all

Are you guys bringing your wives? Can't quite figure out how to get her to sit through that - maybe get her involved with any gossip about the various teams, etc.

Or I may have to suck it up, and go to some horse event with her.
Old 12-18-2017, 05:09 PM
onelove
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

Originally Posted by orthofrancis
Are you guys bringing your wives? Can't quite figure out how to get her to sit through that - maybe get her involved with any gossip about the various teams, etc.

Or I may have to suck it up, and go to some horse event with her.
I bring mine, she's learned to enjoy it. The PCA tent and Porsche hospitality area is a nice break area to rest the feet and watch the coverage on TV (but yes I normally have to suck it up and go to a Horse event as a result too).
Old 12-18-2017, 11:12 PM
orthofrancis
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by onelove
I bring mine, she's learned to enjoy it. The PCA tent and Porsche hospitality area is a nice break area to rest the feet and watch the coverage on TV (but yes I normally have to suck it up and go to a Horse event as a result too).

LOL - I see you made the same mistake that I did too - my wife has two dressage monsters, both well over 17 hands(6 feet at the shoulder), and a rapidly growing 3 year old.

For those of you who are lucky not to know, horses tend to be more expensive, and time consuming than cars.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Daytona