Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

the Käfer-s ak 997.1 Touring ;-)

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2017, 06:58 AM
Käfer-s
1st Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool the Käfer-s ak 997.1 Touring ;-)

What do you do if you are used to the quality and usability of the aircooled Porsches 911 such as the 964, but you want to make the step to the modern 997 and there is no equivalent car from the factory.
Why go from a perfect condition classic 911 to the 997:
I wanted something else, change. I wanted more space, more comfort, quiet, more power, etc.

When it comes to a 911 I generally want a 911 that can be driven to almost everywhere. So i want to drive to the supermarket, make long distance tours, and also want to go to the race track … and the car should not break and deliver modern comfort.
Then it should sound right when it comes to engine noise and i also like to listen to music. Therefore normally aspirated it should be and Bose is nice to.I do not like flashy cars.
It should be a sleeper, not in to your face, stylish, nice colour and practical so it can be parked everywhere without getting noticed by everyone.

Porsche gives me some options .. but not one fits:
Standard 997: The engine doesn't sound as it should and more important…breaks to easy, has to many problems.
Turbo: The engine doesn't sound right, i do not like turbo's. I do not want 4wd and i certainly do not like the aggressive look with big scoops on the side and the wing at the back. They may be necessary, but i do not like them.
GT3: Sounds perfect. Is to uncomfortable for all day use and to track oriented. Did i mention already that i do not like big wings at the back;-)

997.1 or 997.2 … i do not like the LED rear lights that scream … i am LED look of that period…so i like the 997.1 more.
The 997.1 is cheaper and in this case that's a nice plus.

991…mmm, big … to big for me. Then… the 991R could fit. But there is always a problem…it simply is to expensive.

Is there an option ... Buy a BMW, VW, Audi … no way, there is no substitute for a 911 and walking is no option either.

Well i am not scared of modifying a car…so the research started.

Building the car that fits, defining the wish list:
Standard 997 look
GT silver … very nice colour
All the Nintendo on board like navigation, Bose, cruise control, E-seats etc.PASM suspension
Sunroof
GT3 Engine and gearbox
GT3 6 piston brakes
Standard Carrera wheels (i like them)

The start of the project:
Search and buy the GT3 technology. This was the hardest part. Almost nothing for sale or for decent prices.
I had several contact …mostly the kind that screams…we can do that and have done it several times already. Then when it comes to it, and i put money on the table…they ran away with squished bottoms and their tail between the legs. Stupid.
In the end i got lucky…so:

The car:
I then bought a 997 2s with basically the options i wanted in good condition and running with a good engine.
I drove the car shortly and sold the drivetrain and made an appointment for conversion.

Murphy law:
Porsche presents the 991.2 GT3 touring… dam, uh, still too expensive, it's a 991, i want a 997 ;-)

The conversion/the build:
Drivetrain swap.
In the process also the following:
Central radiator in the front.
Cockpit with GT3 tach.
Custom airfilter unit GT3 for the standard deck lid
Rear bumper modification for central exhaust.
Complete GT3 brake system
Because it rounds it up … original GT3 wheels in silver without GT3 logos;-).

The perfect "normal" 997 as Porsche should have built it.

How does it look … i might post some pictures when i manage to get time for some nice ones. In the meantime think of a standard coupe with central exhaust pipes.
How does it drive … not gone tell that … you would want one ;-)
Old 12-15-2017, 10:49 AM
Burning Brakes

Received 119 Likes on 52 Posts

Sounds like a fun project. Looking forward to updates! And yes pictures would be nice.

Quick Reply: the Käfer-s ak 997.1 Touring ;-)