GT3 Not Starting Until After Multiple Attempts

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-2017, 04:59 PM
757driver
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default GT3 Not Starting Until After Multiple Attempts

Hey guys,

Before this goes back to the dealer for the second time to address this I thought I'd see what the experts here have to say. I have a 2010 GT3 that is under CPO warranty until April 18'. It is running like an absolute dream when it's running. When I go to start the car everything on the dash lights up when I turn the key as normal except there is a pronounced click and nothing else happens. There is no starter activation. I take the key out and repeat with the same results for 15 or so times. Eventually one of the turns of the key starts the car up as normal. They replaced the clutch switch and tested my battery when it was in a couple weeks ago. I'm guessing the starter or starter relay, but that is a wag. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 11-21-2017, 05:11 PM
Mufus
Advanced

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I had some similar issue with my 2008 Cayenne S. Aparently there is a problem in the steering column switch. I tried to start it 4-5 times before it would actually start. I sold the car and dont know if the problem persisted. However, the solution was to replace the steering column and switch. I hope it is not your case, but you could point them in this direction.
Old 11-21-2017, 08:57 PM
GoatFarmer
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

Same symptoms with my 997.1 GT3. I replaced the starter and all has been good since then.
Old 11-22-2017, 09:39 AM
widers911
Burning Brakes

Received 193 Likes on 83 Posts

Just went through the same, it was the starter.
Old 11-22-2017, 10:15 AM
sfo
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by widers911
Just went through the same, it was the starter.
+1 .. about 2 years ago on my 7.2 GT3
Old 11-22-2017, 12:53 PM
757driver
Instructor

Thanks for the replies guys! I’ll let my dealer know. Glad this happened while it’s still under warranty.
Old 11-23-2017, 11:21 AM
Sweeper
Burning Brakes

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

This happens when the Clutch Switch goes bad as well.. I'd give that a check before starter replacement
Old 12-09-2017, 07:26 PM
drkm3
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 757driver
Thanks for the replies guys! I’ll let my dealer know. Glad this happened while it’s still under warranty.
Hi!
I have same problem. What was the problem?
Thanks
Old 12-09-2017, 08:40 PM
757driver
Instructor

I picked the car up Thursday and it appears the new starter fixed the problem. Just to recap, I had previously had the car in to the dealer to fix this issue and they replaced the clutch switch. I have been told the clutch switch going bad causes a similar issue. Good luck!
Old 12-09-2017, 09:02 PM
tasman
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 87 Posts

Easy test for clutch switch is to bypass it with a fuse between the wires and if it is the clutch switch car will start without problem. CAUTION. with switch bypassed car will move when started if in gear. Maybe obvious but easy to do

Good luck
Old 12-11-2017, 07:35 PM
lliejk
Three Wheelin'

Received 389 Likes on 275 Posts

I am about to replace my ignition switch as the first in line for this problem. Once in I will see if the problem repeats, if it does, R&R the starter. Already bypassed the clutch switch and it had no effect on the problem. Just have to get my lazy butt to knuckle down and get ready ti do the job.

For anyone who has replaced the ignition switch themselves, all the write ups just say to get the bezel off and remove the retaining nut, slide the switch out after disconnecting the electric. None say to remove the lower trim, which is what I did when I R&R's the switch on my Audi. Is there any benefit to removing the lower trim?

Ed
Old 12-12-2017, 02:01 AM
GCP
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Also starter for me
Old 12-12-2017, 12:27 PM
GoatFarmer
Racer

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

For those of you who changed the starter on you own you will know how difficult it is to thread one of the mounting bolts. My hands were simply too big to get up in there between the transmission and the body so I asked my wife to come out to the garage and hold a mirror while I attempt it from a different angle while laying on my back. I still couldn't get it so she asked to try. Once she figured out what needed to be done I asked how I could help. She said "just lay there and look pretty" as she threaded the bolt.
Old 12-14-2017, 01:19 PM
deutschmick
Rennlist Member

Received 101 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by GoatFarmer
For those of you who changed the starter on you own you will know how difficult it is to thread one of the mounting bolts. My hands were simply too big to get up in there between the transmission and the body so I asked my wife to come out to the garage and hold a mirror while I attempt it from a different angle while laying on my back. I still couldn't get it so she asked to try. Once she figured out what needed to be done I asked how I could help. She said "just lay there and look pretty" as she threaded the bolt.
That's great!

Those smaller hands come in very handy at certain times.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:09 PM
BG
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by drkm3
Hi!
I have same problem. What was the problem?
Thanks
Correct me if I'm wrong but if you hear a click then power is getting to the starter solenoid (solenoid makes the clicking sound) which eliminates the clutch or ignition switches as the problem since they would stop power from getting to the starter in the first place.

I had the same problem and it was a bad starter as well, haven't had a problem since. Power was getting to it but it took multiple key turns for it to catch. There seems to be a problem with these starters.

Quick Reply: GT3 Not Starting Until After Multiple Attempts