Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

The Race Against the Clock : 48 hours to track prep a 4.0L GT3!

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2017, 11:12 AM
TPC Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts
Default The Race Against the Clock : 48 hours to track prep a 4.0L GT3!

The Race Against the Clock : 48 hours to track prep a 4.0L GT3!

The Car- New client to us, 997.1 GT3, 4.0L engine build, 997.1 cup front splitter, 997.2 cup replica wing and decklid, BBS E88 wheels, OEM PASM suspension, and OEM interior.

The Mission- To complete requested track safety prep, suspension work, brake fluid flush, oil change, and tech inspection before the last track day of the year that our new client friend can attend. This level of work is typically no drama, but due to several mishaps in shipping (at no fault to our vendors) we were left with only 48 hours(TOTAL HOURS, not shop hours!) to install the following.

• DAS Sport bolt-in roll bar, prepped, primed, and painted to Speed Yellow.
• Racetech RT4009WHR seats with Stealth option.
• Racetech Magnum 6-point HANS-compatible harnesses in Yellow(we got the last pair in the country!).
• DSC Sport active suspension controller and DSC Sport 3-axis accelerometer.
• Tractive DDA RT coilovers with custom spring rates. To pair with the car’s aero package while maintaining supple and refined street ride, we selected 90/143N-mm (504/800 in-lb) springs. (In order to meet the timeline we had to deviate from the blue Swift springs.)
• TPC Racing Pro Race 29/24.5mm adjustable sway bars and race links. (w/ optional rubber rod end boots)
• Street/track alignment with corner balancing.
• Brake fluid flush with Castrol SRF and oil change with Mobil 1 synthetic.

With the full team on deck, working in the same way we would the night before the championship race, we met the timeline and with a few minutes to spare to take some photos.

Speed Yellow roll bar is ready to install!

Stealth seat for the stealth machine!

The Outcome-Our client friend came in the afternoon before the track event, we adjusted to his driving position and the harnesses to fit. Then we went on a road test with him all strapped and to see if any other adjustments were needed before he heads out to the track. He was thoroughly impressed by the first ride; comparing the DSC/Tractive to OEM PASM, his words were "how can it be so comfortable, and firm, and stable at the same time!!". As for the track, he had an absolute blast in his car knowing the safety prep is adequate for the usage and the suspension setup made him feel like a King!

At TPC Racing, our goal is to deliver exceptional service despite any and all unforeseen conditions. For anyone else wanting us to do this, well, we prefer to have more than 48 hours, but we can and will step up to the occasion.

You can find our products below linked to our website that were used on this GT3!

TPC Racing Pro Race Sway Bars

DSC Sport Controller

Tractive RT Damper Package

For more information please visit our websites TPCracing.com and DSCsport.com and for further questions or inquiries for service, track prep, or of the full package contact us via email at info@tpcracing.com or via phone (410)-799-7223.

Email: info@tpcracing.com
Phone: (410)799-7223
Facebook | Youtube
2023 Porsche Sprint Challenge Champions
2021 Porsche Sprint Challenge Champions
2016 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champions
2013 IMSA GT3 Cup Challenge Champions
2006 Grand Am Rolex 24hr of Daytona GT Winner

Last edited by TPC Racing; 11-20-2017 at 11:44 AM. Reason: Size of wording not adjustable
Old 11-20-2017, 05:33 PM
Hoyt
Rennlist Member

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Great job and build you guys did!!
Old 11-21-2017, 08:34 AM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Met the owner of that car at the NASA-MA DE weekend. Friendly and easy going. Can't believe that car used to be turbo'd!

A friend hit 150+ on the straight at Summit in that car. It's frickin' FAST!
Old 11-21-2017, 01:18 PM
pissedpuppy
Nordschleife Master

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts

you guys do the 4L conversion? good looking car!
Old 11-21-2017, 02:48 PM
TPC Racing
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 58 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by pissedpuppy
you guys do the 4L conversion? good looking car!
We did not do the engine work on this particular car. But YES we do 4.0L engine builds! We have done 4.0L engine builds for 997.1, 997.2, and Cup, using factory motorsport RSR 80.4 mm stroke crankshaft. We have scheduled at least one more 4.0L build before the end of the year.

Last edited by TPC Racing; 11-21-2017 at 06:12 PM.
Old 11-25-2017, 09:40 AM
CosmosMpower
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

The guy probably ran in green run group and left the psm on lol.
Old 11-25-2017, 04:07 PM
shotor
Rennlist Member

Received 28 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by chillindrdude
Met the owner of that car at the NASA-MA DE weekend. Friendly and easy going. Can't believe that car used to be turbo'd!
So he Turbocharged his GT3, then de-Turbocharged his GT3 and then made it a 4.0L? That is almost the full spectrum of engines on this platform.

Did he mention pros and cons on the three varieties or any other info?
Old 11-27-2017, 12:49 PM
shogun974
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interesting mods. What benefits the tpc sway bar kit offer over the oem GT3 sway bars? I mean replacing oem gt3 sway bars by tpc sway bars is a good track focused modification or can it be enjoyable for street driving?
Old 11-28-2017, 12:24 PM
Tom@TPC Racing
Rennlist Member

Received 914 Likes on 514 Posts

Originally Posted by shogun974
Very interesting mods. What benefits the tpc sway bar kit offer over the oem GT3 sway bars? I mean replacing oem gt3 sway bars by tpc sway bars is a good track focused modification or can it be enjoyable for street driving?
We originally designed our TPC 997 adjustable sway bars back in 2005 to fill the needs of the Grand-Am Cup racing teams. Back then(and still today) the factory 997.1 GT3 bars are a bit lacking in what we refer to as chassis platform. Coincidentally our bars are similar rate to what came years later on the 997.2 GT3/RS/4.0. Our bars are still ~15% stiffer at the stiffest setting while having extra adjustment hole on each bar to provide more increment of adjustment. For spirited road enjoyment and track, replacing the .1 bars with TPC bars makes the car noticeably more stable and plain feels better in nearly all driving situation. The ride over bumps is comparable to .2 bars. Actually, not much comfort(if any) is loss because the .1 bars that are much softer promotes excessive chassis movements. I speak from personal first hand experience having swapped out the bars on my .1 GT3 back when I drove my car almost everyday in the Summer.
Old 11-28-2017, 01:03 PM
chillindrdude
Burning Brakes

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by shotor
So he Turbocharged his GT3, then de-Turbocharged his GT3 and then made it a 4.0L? That is almost the full spectrum of engines on this platform.

the "de-turbo-ing" wasn't by choice. apparently, something internal to the turbo failed and a metal fragment got sucked into and damaged the cylinders. the re-bore to 4.0L was done to repair the cylinders. at which time, he dropped the turbo completely to revert back to NA.

didn't really question him at length about the driving differences and power delivery.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:19 PM
gt2-josh
Three Wheelin'

Received 32 Likes on 32 Posts

I sure wish my GT3 was slate grey....and a 4.0. Great work Tom and team! Awesome work on a short fuse. Best Josh
Old 12-20-2017, 03:00 AM
gnathologist
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CosmosMpower
The guy probably ran in green run group and left the psm on lol.
Your senses are strong and correct in every way, lol. I’m in green group 1 and yes, I like my traction control on
I just started tracking the car. I’m enjoying the sport. What I enjoy the most is seeing how dedicated track rats are working so hard on their cars. People are extremely nice and love the atmosphere

I surely looked the fastest in green group 1, but was getting passed by Subaru’s and old school mustang 5.0 lol. It’s all good as I’m learning to be a better driver.
Old 12-20-2017, 03:13 AM
gnathologist
Intermediate

Originally Posted by shotor

It was twin aerocharged but it never ran right from having the work done by an incompetent shop. Still loved the power but the delivery wasn’t so smooth.

4.0L is where it’s at now. Love the linear power delivery and just as fast. Below pictures will show you why I rebuilt the motor and removed aero chargers. I don’t think it was due to aerochargers.

People talk about clanking noise at start up and wonder if it has anything to do with bolts backing out...

4.0L build is solid and took the track abuse like a boss.

Old 12-20-2017, 03:23 AM
gnathologist
Intermediate

I just want to sincerely thank Tom and Harris for taking such great care of my car. I have been searching for the right shop and I have found the one that I will build a long term relationship with.

It was so much fun at the track with Harris and I appreciated all of his guidance. Can’t wait for 2018!
Old 12-27-2017, 12:49 AM
boochook
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

Seung is an awesome guy and let me tell you we both felt the pain of Turbo charging our cars with this local shop in DC where mine was a 996C4S.

NOW his GT3 is dialed in and I’m Proud he stuck with the car! Seung, I just bought a 997.1 GT3 and pick it up next week. Let’s get together soon!!! Can’t wait to see your 4.0L in person! Oh and you too! Hahahahaha!

Originally Posted by gnathologist
Your senses are strong and correct in every way, lol. I’m in green group 1 and yes, I like my traction control on
I just started tracking the car. I’m enjoying the sport. What I enjoy the most is seeing how dedicated track rats are working so hard on their cars. People are extremely nice and love the atmosphere

I surely looked the fastest in green group 1, but was getting passed by Subaru’s and old school mustang 5.0 lol. It’s all good as I’m learning to be a better driver.

Quick Reply: The Race Against the Clock : 48 hours to track prep a 4.0L GT3!