Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Has anyone replaced their slave cylinder?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2017, 01:09 AM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Has anyone replaced their slave cylinder?

On my .2GT3, the clutch pedal gets crunchy the last inch or two of travel after the cars been driven a while. I've bled it well, and no improvement. There's also a squeak that comes from it...

There's a lot of "stuff" in the way of tilting the transmission down, and access is really tight getting to the slave with the transmission cooler in the way. Anybody have any tips on doing this, or run into this problem before?

Thanks,
David
Old 11-18-2017, 01:56 AM
Speedster911
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 54 Posts

Had the exact same issue with my .2 RS, . Replaced the Clutch MC and lubricated the Slave Cyl.
Old 11-18-2017, 10:56 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

Originally Posted by dwe8922
On my .2GT3, the clutch pedal gets crunchy the last inch or two of travel after the cars been driven a while. I've bled it well, and no improvement. There's also a squeak that comes from it...

There's a lot of "stuff" in the way of tilting the transmission down, and access is really tight getting to the slave with the transmission cooler in the way. Anybody have any tips on doing this, or run into this problem before?

Thanks,
David
most likely it is not the Slave but the throwout and guide tube.
Old 11-18-2017, 12:43 PM
Speedster911
Rennlist Member

Received 99 Likes on 54 Posts

^^^ Spyerx may be correct - I still had a squeak and a drag at the end of clutch pedal depression but mine was after a new clutch / trans rebuild. Working fine for over a year after said repairs completed
Old 11-21-2017, 12:39 AM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Speedster911
Had the exact same issue with my .2 RS, . Replaced the Clutch MC and lubricated the Slave Cyl.
Was the clutch master cylinder leaking? I've done some reading on how they can leak backwards and raise the reservoir level. Neither show obvious leaks on mine, and my slave was replaced due to failure along with the clutch about 20k miles ago by a dealer. My leaning toward the slave was since it got worse with heat and use, and the slave seems a little "squeaky" in that last bit of travel if you listen under the car while someone pushes the clutch. I don't know how you'd lube the slave; grease where the piston meets the clutch fork?
Old 11-21-2017, 12:45 AM
dwe8922
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Spyerx
most likely it is not the Slave but the throwout and guide tube.
I had a throwout bearing go on my cup car. It's more like a thrust bearing, so when the bearing failed, it took the hydraulics with it, and the system bled down. It was a more catastrophic failure, but started with a noise, then the system bled down losing pedal.

I would think if the throwout bearing were having an issue, the bearing would begin to make some noise; no?

Quick Reply: Has anyone replaced their slave cylinder?