Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Are these GT2 RS seats of any historical significance?

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2017, 09:31 AM
SteveMFr
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Are these GT2 RS seats of any historical significance?

Before I go and destroy something that a collector may be interested in by restoring these seats, I thought I'd reach out to the community to see what opinions were.

I picked up a pair of GT2 RS reclining carbon buckets with a number of additional pieces a while back. As I looked them over, it became quite clear that these seats were pre-production units that had been used to homologate the seats for road use. Amongst the things I found:
- stickers on the individual seat parts showing production dates as far back as 2006 (on a cushion) and signed off by individuals. The cushions are marked in part as having different foam densities.
- there are 2 additional holes in each seat base
- the seat sliders have force sensors mounted between the rails and the seat side mounts
- the shoulder belt bezels in the seat backs only have 4 screws tying the front and back half together vs. 6 screws in the production seats

I remember reading somewhere that the development and homologation of these seats was not without problems - and that they actually delayed the launch of the 997 GT2 RS.

So are these rare parts of historical value or just a curiosity? Will I be destroying history by restoring them (the carbon is scratched and scuffed, the side mounts have red paint on them, etc.)

Old 11-09-2017, 10:42 AM
rebrewer
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

If you weren't so far away I'd be interested in them. They sound too interesting to get rid of.

Bob
Old 11-09-2017, 10:47 AM
SteveMFr
Instructor

Shipping should not be an issue - aside from that I will be traveling to the US sometime before the end of the year. I could take them with me as bulk baggage and carry some underwear in my briefcase. :-)

Seriously, though, if you are interested I can get them to you.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:58 AM
rebrewer
Rennlist Member

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Steve - sending you a PM
Old 11-09-2017, 01:11 PM
ilko
Agent Orange
Rennlist Member

Received 506 Likes on 187 Posts

I am 101% positive that Dr. Piech and Wolfgang Porsche both sat in those particular seats soon after visiting a local hole in the wall Mexican place in Stuttgart and discussed purchasing VW. So the odor is still there, among other things. You decide if the seats have historical significance!
Old 11-09-2017, 04:37 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

Two things stick out:
there are 2 additional holes in each seat base
Are you sure these holes are unique to your seats? I believe my GT2 buckets have these holes because I use them for holding in my custom cushion I use on track.

- the seat sliders have force sensors mounted between the rails and the seat side mounts
My passenger seat has this and I believe it's the weight sensor for the airbag deactivation system.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:16 PM
SteveMFr
Instructor

Originally Posted by ilko
I am 101% positive that Dr. Piech and Wolfgang Porsche both sat in those particular seats soon after visiting a local hole in the wall Mexican place in Stuttgart and discussed purchasing VW. So the odor is still there, among other things. You decide if the seats have historical significance!
Wow! I am thinking they have real collector's value then! ilko, just for you, $25,000 for the pair - and I will make sure they don't get cleansed in any way shape or form so that the retain their olfactory value enhancing characteristics! ;-p

Originally Posted by nwGTS
Two things stick out:
there are 2 additional holes in each seat base
Are you sure these holes are unique to your seats? I believe my GT2 buckets have these holes because I use them for holding in my custom cushion I use on track.
Your seats have the larger trapezoidal holes to either side and just behind the submarine-belt hole as well? It is quite possible that these were carried over to the production seats. I've never gone that far to compare, tbh. I assumed that they were for some sort of testing purpose because they look rough - cut by hand. Then again, I assume these seats were built mostly by hand, so you could be absolutely right.

Originally Posted by nwGTS
My passenger seat has this and I believe it's the weight sensor for the airbag deactivation system.
If Porsche had these on the seats for the airbags, it would be mild overkill . There is one of these under each corner of the side mounts:

These are definitely prototype/pre-production seats. The sticker dates and various details do not allow any other conclusion.
Old 11-09-2017, 06:38 PM
nwGTS
Rennlist Member

Received 343 Likes on 158 Posts

^^^^ ha. nope, the sensors on mine definitely do not look like that radio shack business, but they are definitely there. I discovered and investigated them when installing the sub bars. looks like you have a rare set. very cool!
Old 11-09-2017, 09:53 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

What makes you think that these are GT2RS seats?
This is the seat that was available on other 997’s as well.
Just curious.
Old 11-10-2017, 03:20 AM
SteveMFr
Instructor

I read an article somewhere a while back on these seats. It stated that these - the folding CF buckets - were developed specifically for the GT2 RS. It also stated that the launch of the RS was delayed because the seats caused problems in the homologation process.

These particular seats were likely never installed in a GT2 other than possibly a shell for crash testing.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:07 AM
Modena 1
Burning Brakes

Received 29 Likes on 13 Posts

First blush it seems like a stretch to me.

Regardless where did you get them?

Restoring a used old set of airbag equipped seats that are apart in pieces...not sure how good of an idea that is.
Old 11-10-2017, 10:08 AM
TB993tt
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 108 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by SteveMFr
I read an article somewhere a while back on these seats. It stated that these - the folding CF buckets - were developed specifically for the GT2 RS. It also stated that the launch of the RS was delayed because the seats caused problems in the homologation process.

These particular seats were likely never installed in a GT2 other than possibly a shell for crash testing.
Small correction, the were designed initially specifically for the GT2.
Old 11-10-2017, 01:10 PM
SteveMFr
Instructor

Originally Posted by Modena 1
First blush it seems like a stretch to me.
Why? As I posted above, some of the production stickers are dated 2006 - the seats came out in 2010. The seat cushions (bottom, not backrest) of which I have 5, come in different weights, as in different foam densities. And the stickers have individuals (Herr Altmann or the like) designated along with the part designation. It is all very pre-production-y. And the force sensors...

Regardless where did you get them?
They were advertised online in Germany - albeit with a very poor description.

Restoring a used old set of airbag equipped seats that are apart in pieces...not sure how good of an idea that is.
Why? Do you work in composites?

Originally Posted by TB993tt
Small correction, the were designed initially specifically for the GT2.
Yes. Thanks. They became available as an option and were even available from Porsche as a retrofit part at a relatively moderate price (€4500 or so IIRC).
Old 11-10-2017, 02:18 PM
F1CrazyDriver
Drifting

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

imo, you have a rare piece of history... you're correct that these seats did not show up till much later. As for pre-production stuff goes, i have no idea in terms of value however i'll say that Porsche has drastically changed in the last 10 years on how it views "historical" artifacts given how crazy the market is of lately. IMO i would stash them in a safe place.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:34 PM
Igooz
Trucker
Rennlist Member

Received 470 Likes on 265 Posts

FWIW: The CF GT2 Seats went into production in 2007. They were available on the 997TT, the GT2, and the GT2RS as option. (I don’t know my GT3’s that well).

Quick Reply: Are these GT2 RS seats of any historical significance?