Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

997.2 gt3 Corner Balance advice needed.

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 12:45 PM
sixtyfiver
Instructor

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Default 997.2 gt3 Corner Balance advice needed.

Vehicle: 2011 Porsche 997.2 GT3

I just had my car put on scales, the following figures represent no driver, half tank of gas and sway bars connected.

Left front 635lbs
right front 589lbs
left rear 989lbs
right rear 1001lbs

My questions:
1. Do the numbers look off? keep in mind no driver or weights were added.
2. Should I complete a corner balance with factory Non-adjustable drop links?
3. Is half tank of gas proper/sufficient for the corner balance?
Old 09-11-2017, 02:29 PM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

1) Not a bad starting point I guess. without a calculator cross weighs are like 48.5 and 51.5 or something close to that but could be better if you're going through all the effort.

2) Disconnect the sway bar for corner balance. You can just remove one side of the drop links to do this you don't have to fully disconnect both sides. Then re-connect the drop links after and use the spinning mounts to set preload on those drop links if necessary

3) I always do it with half tank. I think the porsche manual technically calls for doing it with a full tank of gas.

4) Add drive weight or this is all for not. I realize there will many times when you'll have a passenger but more often than not set it for when you're the only one in the car.
Old 09-11-2017, 05:54 PM
sixtyfiver
Instructor

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
1)

2) Disconnect the sway bar for corner balance. You can just remove one side of the drop links to do this you don't have to fully disconnect both sides. Then re-connect the drop links after and use the spinning mounts to set preload on those drop links if necessary
Excuse my ignorance but by "use the spinning mounts" are you referring to adjustable drop links? I was not aware that stock drop links offered adjustability.
Old 09-11-2017, 09:46 PM
RAudi Driver
Rennlist Member

Received 2,734 Likes on 1,637 Posts

I've seen it where the wheel weights are almost exactly the same from right to left. However, if the sum of the right front and the left rear are the same as the left front and right rear, then it's considered properly corner balanced.

My car is just that. Not exact when you compare the right front with the left front but exact when you compare cross weights.

Your corner balance could have been slightly better. What did you pay for it and were you siting in the car when this was being done?
Old 09-12-2017, 06:38 AM
Spyerx
Rennlist Member

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,058 Posts

You need to get it on scales with driver weight and drop links disconnected.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:06 AM
AudiOn19s
Race Car

Received 46 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by sixtyfiver
Excuse my ignorance but by "use the spinning mounts" are you referring to adjustable drop links? I was not aware that stock drop links offered adjustability.
No, the mounts on the shock itself are on the threaded shock body and can be moved up and down to adjust preload if you don't have adjustable drop links. It's a real pain in the *** to do it as you have to almost completely remove the shock to do it, but it's possible.
Old 09-12-2017, 10:09 AM
mikemessi
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 18 Posts

Purpose of corner balancing is to get the cross weight as close as possible. Yours is 49% which isn't horrible. To fix this lengthen the front right and left rear spring adjusters 1/8 in. each then recheck. I would check it with sway bars disconnected before making any changes as this can affect cross weights. Contrary to popular belief the cross weight percentage doesn't change if driver added or 1/2 vs full tank of gas. The weight distribution will change but the cross weight percentages will not. Nobody believes me on this because it sounds counter intuitive but you can test this next time you put it on the scales by weighing with and without driver. The values will change but the percentages will not.
Old 09-13-2017, 12:21 PM
sixtyfiver
Instructor

Originally Posted by RAudi Driver

Your corner balance could have been slightly better. What did you pay for it and were you siting in the car when this was being done?
Balancing again today, will pay approximately $250.00

Originally Posted by Spyerx
You need to get it on scales with driver weight and drop links disconnected.
Will do.

Originally Posted by AudiOn19s
No, the mounts on the shock itself are on the threaded shock body and can be moved up and down to adjust preload if you don't have adjustable drop links. It's a real pain in the *** to do it as you have to almost completely remove the shock to do it, but it's possible.
Learn something new everyday, sounds like a pita. Thank you for clarifying.

Originally Posted by mikemessi
Purpose of corner balancing is to get the cross weight as close as possible. Yours is 49% which isn't horrible. To fix this lengthen the front right and left rear spring adjusters 1/8 in. each then recheck. I would check it with sway bars disconnected before making any changes as this can affect cross weights. Contrary to popular belief the cross weight percentage doesn't change if driver added or 1/2 vs full tank of gas. The weight distribution will change but the cross weight percentages will not. Nobody believes me on this because it sounds counter intuitive but you can test this next time you put it on the scales by weighing with and without driver. The values will change but the percentages will not.
Thank you.

Quick Reply: 997.2 gt3 Corner Balance advice needed.