Notices
997 GT2/GT3 Forum 2005-2012
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: Porsche North Houston

Pin / Weld coolant lines GT3 Run Down !!?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2017, 01:49 PM
boostedt0y
Banned

Received 79 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by bubba928

Also agree with Jamie re having them welded. Don't nickel/dime the problem. If you can afford to buy the car you should be able to pay for needed repairs.
On my car, the shop used the BBI coolant fittings and rather then welding they used a high strength adhesive to secure the fittings in addition to pinning. Almost 30 trackdays since and no issues.
Old 09-17-2017, 02:53 PM
Jake951
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts

I've personally seen several incidents on the track where coolant pipes on GT3's or Turbos have popped and dumped coolant. It's scary and potentially catastrophic. I also know of one 997.1 GT3 with only 10,000 miles and almost zero track time that popped its pipes.

It's a game of Russian roulette with these engines. If you drive on the track, welding or at least pinning the pipes should be mandatory. Mine are welded.
Old 09-18-2017, 12:45 PM
orthofrancis
Instructor

Received 18 Likes on 7 Posts

997.1 GT3 - prior to tracking it, I also had the coolant pipes blow during normal street driving.

Car had only 35K miles on it at 5-6 years of age.

Read the Sticky post up top - plenty of non-tracked cars with blown coolant pipes.
Old 09-18-2017, 06:51 PM
Runner
Rennlist Member

Received 288 Likes on 111 Posts

I've been told that if your coolant lines are not addressed, to keep an eye on them until you can. They typically don't just slide off all at once, but ease off over time. So if you don't know all the connection, have someone who does to point them out. You can tell if they have moved any from their original point. Check them each time before you drive the car. I agree with everyone, priority one is to fix them.
Old 09-19-2017, 04:09 PM
cgfen
Rennlist Member

Received 824 Likes on 540 Posts

Originally Posted by Socialpro
Thank you for providing some of the various info regarding the issue.

I (myself) do not plan on tracking the car - but what if the car *was* tracked - then I assume this is something that could be a failure point?

Is there anyway to know this was done with an inspection?

Also - this seems like a fairly involved labor job - and sometimes I have found to have more things go wrong after there are mechanics messing with the car --- especially on a larger job.

Are you asking if an inspection can reveal that a car was tracked, or that the cooling lines were pinned? An inspection can reveal both, but track use is easier to hide.

"Also - this seems like a fairly involved labor job - and sometimes I have found to have more things go wrong after there are mechanics messing with the car --- especially on a larger job."

try to find a shop that you can trust to not screw things up,

Good luck.

If you are NEVER GOING TO TRACK OR DRIVE "SPIRITEDLY" ON MOUNTAIN ROADS, don't bother with pinning / welding.
If you have a failure, you will likely not spin and cause carnage.
Old 09-19-2017, 05:24 PM
go-ran
Racer

Received 43 Likes on 26 Posts

Do it, itll give you piece of mind and if it does happen you wont be stranded.

Quick Reply: Pin / Weld coolant lines GT3 Run Down !!?